It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2001, 02:52 AM   #1

joz HB User
Question Rapid Smoking/ Covert Aversion anyone?

Has anyone either tried rapid smoking or covert aversion or a combination of the 2. The theory behind them appears pretty sound. I wonder if there have been any successes?
I realise that rapid smoking isn't necassarily a lung friendly way to quit, but the way I see it it will be a lot better for the lungs in the long run. I feel that if I could just make myself not like smoking then I'd be half way there. I'm sure my failiures in the past are due to sheer enjoyment of the evil weed!

------------------
Take care
Jo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2001, 08:18 AM   #2

Shorty56 HB User
Unhappy

Joz please don't try the rapid smoking all it will do is make you smoke more and then it will make it even harder to quit, Anyway that is what happened to me the more I would smoke the more I wanted it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2001, 03:37 PM   #3

joz HB User
I was slightly worried about this which is why I havn't tried it yet. The system I was going to use though promotes rapid smoking one day and no smoking the next for two weeks. At the same time you have to visualise allsorts of nasty things concerning your cigarettes.

What method did you try?

------------------
Take care
Jo

Old 06-02-2001, 10:35 PM   #4

Shorty56 HB User
Jo, I used a combination of Wellbutrin and the Nicaderm CQ patches, with the Dr's help and blessings. I smoked for 41 years and got up to 2+ packs a day. I had no will-power and coughed all the time. I took the wellbutrin for the first week and smoked right along with the pills (1 pill twice a day) and on Monday of the second week I used the pills and started the patches, but NO CIGARETTES. to make a long story short I ended up using the pills for 7 weeks and the patches (Step 1- 21mgs was suppose to be used for 6 weeks I cut the time to 3 weeks. Step 2- 14mgs 1 week, and step 3- 7mgs 1 week, each step was used exactly 1/2 the week it was suppose to be used, this is not reccomended for others It was just something I was determined to do.) this worked real well for me but I still have the Wellbutrin pills in case I feel like I am loosing it. I had my last cigarette Jan 14th, 2001.

Each day it gets a little easier, I would be telling you a lie if I said that I didn't still want one, but I just won't give in to the urge to have it because if I give in just once I will blow all the hard work I have done to get where I am at now.

If You want to quit and don't want to cold turkey it just go to your Dr. I have found that they are very willing to help you quit, but if you happen to get one of those very rare ones that won't help just look some where else as there are plenty out there willing to help.

I have not posted my e-mail but I will keep checking here to see how you are doing and if you need me just say so and post your e-mail and I will get with you. Hang in thert hon you can beat this too!

Old 06-03-2001, 07:00 AM   #5

Bebbins HB User
Joz, I agree that you should stay away from the rapid smoking. I tried that during one of my many attempts to quit. Afterwards, I realized that I would smoke more to make up for the times I couldn't smoke...while at work for example. I only smoke outdoors and away from my children. Finally, last week I made an appointment with my doctor for help. He was so enthusiastic when I went in for my appointment. My projected quit date is this Wednesday June 6. I started taking Wellbutrin last Wednesday. I start the full dosage today so I am unable to tell you how it helps. I have been a smoker for 18 years...it is time to quit. I quit last year for 2 days...that seems meaningless to others, but for me it was a major accomplishment! I am presently treating my "quit date" as a special day. I am preparing a no-smoking box...filling it with alternative ways to avoid going outside for a smoke. I am including my family in this as they will have to endure whatever moods I go through to quit. I'll check back with you to see how you are doing.

Old 06-03-2001, 10:41 AM   #6

joz HB User
Thank you both for sensible advice. I havn't actually stopped yet, I've been planning to do so for a while though. I've tried the gun, inhalers and a spray that makes the smoke taste horrible. I'm desperate for a way to quit. I don't like the thought of taking pills and hypnosis won't work.

I do understand about the 2 day quit, I once quit for about 32 hours and then crumbled and had to have one!!

I won't bother with the rapid smoking. Thanks for your advice, I'm just going to try and set a date and stick to it.

------------------
Take care
Jo

Old 06-03-2001, 08:08 PM   #7

Shorty56 HB User
You are on the way Jo, just making up your mind is a big step to the rest of your life.

I didn't like the idea of pills either but if you think about it 7 weeks with the pill is much better than the rest of my life and the cigaretts, was one of myt ways to look at it.

What ever you choose to use please make sure it is safe and keep checking in as I will be here for your supporter if you would like. You already have my blessings and best wishes. I know it is hard but you have a good start now.

Old 06-04-2001, 05:44 AM   #8

Bebbins HB User
Ok Joz...when is your quit date? Once you have that try to mentally prepare for that day. Mine is still two days away but I've been getting ready for it for the past week. My husband made me a special box to put things in that I can use when the urges come. We also made two cd's of music for me to listen to when those voices come telling me to "just have one more". One cd is of very lud music, the other is mellow.

I noticed yesterday that the Wellbutrin is kicking in. I didn't sleep so well last night. Shorty, did you have this happen to you as well? I'm taking the Wellbutrin twice a day now. One at 9 AM the other at 9 PM. I felt like I was sleeping right under the cloth of awareness. I know I looked at the clock over 12 times last night. I feel ok this morning, so I must have gotten enough sleep.

Quit day is coming...I'm getting a bit scared but I will do this!

Let us know how we can help Joz. Shorty, pass some encouragement my way too.

Old 06-04-2001, 08:12 PM   #9

Shorty56 HB User
OK Kiddos here it is all the support that I have is directed your way and I know that if anyone else reads this they will be willing to give it also.

I quit Jan 14th 2001 and it does get better every day. I still get that nagging urge but I just calmly tell myself that I will not smoke and go on.

As for having trouble sleeping while taking the Wellbutrin it did cause a small problem if I waited until 9PM to take it, as I get up at 4:30 every weekday morning I would take the first one at 6AM and then The last one at 6PM and that seemed to help me sleep better.

Jo if you don't want to take the pills nor use the patch and you have your mind made up just go for it and know that each day you don't smoke you are one day closer to the rest of your life as a non smoker, and along the way if you slip that is all it is (A slip) and go on. AS I told you earlier i smoked for 41 years so there is no one that knows more about just how you are feeling than I do, BUT Honey, you can do it, just set your day and let us know when and we are here for you. You will make it.

Bebbins the same goes for you!!!!! As I said I am here and I will help in any way that I can. I have had a couple scares in the past 3&4 years, I have Thyroid trouble and my Thyroid was destroyed with radioacative iodine. I gained a lot of weight the year the Drs were trying to decide what to do about it, got real sick nearly had a heart attack etc before they finally decided to distroy it. Then this year when I had a mammogram a lump was found luckily it was benign, that is when I made up my mind to quit.

OK enough for me when did you say your quit day is keep reminding yourself that this is a whole new life you are starting, why not treat it like a honeymoon, sounds like your husband is willing to help you so this will just make it even more special.

One thing I will say to both of you is try not to substitute sweets for the cigarettes. I tried to not eat anything extra and would have a piece of candy if it got to being too stressful but I only ate one or two pieces a day.

My next goal is to loose about 100 pounds. This is going to be just as hard maybe even harder than the cigarette were. I did manage to loose 14 pounds while not smoking, so far.

Both of you just take one day at a time and before you know it you will be here helping someone else with the same situation. I don't know if either of you have children or not (Please let me know) I have five children ages from 29 to 37 years and 10 grandchildren ranging in ages from 6 to 15 years and they are all so happy that I was able to quit, and in their own way they were a big help also. Just look at their precious faces and see the joy they exude. GOD BLESS ALL CHILDREN FOR THEY ARE THE GIFT OF LOVE AND ARE IN NO WAY AFRAID TO SHOW IT. Those are some words that I live by every day to get me going, I will loan they to you also as they just make me feel so good about everything.

I have to go for now Kids, but I will be back here tomorrow night about 8 or 8:30pm I hope to hear from you. God Bless and you will make it, I know you will!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Shorty56 (edited 06-04-2001).]

Old 06-05-2001, 02:31 PM   #10

joz HB User
Wow, I just can't believe how strong you are! I would say I was a really headstrong person but smoking just leaves me stumped every time.
I have decided on a date, 17th June (my daughters first birthday, I also have 3 sons).
Thanks so much for the support both of you and you would not believe the amount of admiration I have for you both. I havn't been smoking quite as long, 19 years - wow now I've worked it out I can't believe it has been so long!
I'm going to take on board the things you've said and prepare my mind ready for the 17th. I would very much like to communicate with you real time but I live in England and there is quite a few hours time difference!
Thanks again

------------------
Take care
Jo

Old 06-05-2001, 07:32 PM   #11

Shorty56 HB User
Wink

Jo, you have it made honey. I really mean that because you have your head made up and your mind set and now with the date you are going to beat the dirty old cigarette. You know iat won't take long for your house to start smelling much better, and you know that for all the years I smoked I never did realize just how bad my house smelt and now I would like to kick my big B--- http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/redface.gif because OF it.

Yeah England would be a little different time then Missouri, but we can still get with each other on here or if you would want my e-mail address I will post it for you. But for right now this is the best we can do. I do check the board every night after hubby has had his supper and is settled for the night, He has to get up a 3:00 AM and I try very much not to take away from his time.

Hang in there and you will make it.

Haven't heard from Bebbins yet tonight so will check back a little later. God Bless

Closed Thread