It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2001, 02:46 PM   #1

xXxKRISTAxXx HB User
Question 15yr and smoking!

I know your probably thinking what a horrible 15yr old. But I'm an honor roll student, popular, and active but I've been smoking on and off for about 3 years, my parents have cought me several times and they said if they catch me again there sending me off to an all girls school as my punishment...but I can't quit. Smoking is my stress reliever (and I have plenty of stress) and I like everything about it but the cancer part. My dad's a doctor and he's completley against smoking b/c his parents died of it, but what can I do to quit or just give my advice about my parents being so against it. Thanx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2001, 09:03 AM   #2

ser HB User
Unhappy

I started off and on when I was 12. The tabacco companies depend on youngsters to get hooked. Try to find other ways to releave your stress like walking or running, doing a hobbie. It is so much better for you. I am on my fourth true try on quiting smoking. I wish I never started. You and your clothes, Hair, and Hands stink all the time. You spend money that can be used else where. You cannot smoke inside so you get edgy to be out side to smoke when at the movies or out for dinner. Your out in the elements and get colds faster. Those clods can develop into broncitis or pnemonia.

I hope you stop now and not wait the extra 25 years like I did.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2001, 11:18 AM   #3

Kris33 HB User
Smile

I started smoking when I was 11 or 12 yrs old. My parents caught me a few times. Eventually they left me alone, I guess I was 16 or so. Now that I am 33 I understand, why they were trying to stop me. When I was 22 I decided I would stop at 25, then 30 and so on....Stopping gets harder for every cigarette you smoke. Make your mind up and stick with it. Are your friends smoking? That may have something to do with keeping on. Once you have set habits, that is the hardest part. For instance, first thing when you get up that is the first thing you do, after you eat that is what you do, what a controlling thing it is. For all of us independent people out there, who would have thought a cigarette would control our every move? All I can say is I wished at 15 I had known all I know now. All I can say is STOP!
Exercise and health is the thing for the future, NOT smoking. Good luck and make up your mind!

Old 05-16-2001, 07:48 PM   #4

Christopher74 HB User
I agree with everyone else. I know this post is a month old, but I just want to say "this is how my habbit went on and on." I started at 14 and I am now 26. I never thought I would keep it up for 12 years. You just do it day in and day out and put the down side to smoking behind you thinking "I'll probably quit before I ever have a problem" but you know it went on years after I said that. I probably won't get lung cancer or heart disease since I am still young, but I'm sure if I would keep up this endless cycle I'll probably find myself having these problems. I just now decided that now is the time. Not after this one last smoke or this Sunday since it's the beggining of the week, but now. Even if you are considering while you have a smoke between your fingers, the best thing you can do is just put it out and just tell yourself that you will never stop if you cannot do it now.

Old 05-20-2001, 09:05 AM   #5
(female)

ktzzer HB User
Wink

Smoking Sucks! I started when I was 15 too, I am now 20, and smoke way too much. I know it just starts out as something to do, but before you know it, you are completely addicted. I will PANIC if I wake up in the morning and I don't have any cigarettes left. It's really not good to start at all. So quit now!

Old 05-21-2001, 02:33 PM   #6

zackpak HB User
Hi. This reply is intended for everyone who smokes or is thinking about taking it up. My first post, too, but I know a thing or two about this one. Sorry if I end up writing a book. I have become somewhat of an evangelist on this matter.

I happened by this subject while originally looking at stress-related material (I'll revisit that at the end of this letter). I am almost 32, and have been an X-smoker for a year and a half. (Woo - hoo!) Before that, I smoked 1 to 1.5 packs a day, for 18 years. No joke. I started when I was 12, and it was the most important thing in my life for the majority of that time span. Before my last (and successful) attempt to quit, I only tried twice. The first time (new years, 1998), I lasted a 5 weeks, and broke down at a bar. The second time (about a month before my third) I lasted 2 days. Chalk it up to bad timing . . . (Note: both times were cold turkey)

What finally helped me to quit? A combination of things, actually. (Please note that I am not providing this info as a cure-all. I am only trying to explain what worked for me.)

#1 - my son was born.
#2 - I had increasingly frequent and painful heart palps and chest pains, not to mention a funky spasm/fluttering-type feeling under my lower rib cage, which really spooked me.
#3 - I kept busy, whether it was working in the yard, playing video games, or whatever, keeping busy keeps your mind off smoking. Additionally, I would always keep hard candy, peanuts (in the shell) or sunflower seeds (also in the shell), and the like around at ALL times. I, personally, believe mental addiction to the act of smoking vs. the true physical (nicotine) addiction can actually be stronger . . .
#4 - Nicoderm. (I cut their plan in half - time and dosage wise. I think their recommendations are more in the interest of profit than actual treatment)
#5 - At last resort, when I felt especially vulnerable to start again, I smoked a cigar (this is BY NO MEANS a recommendation, I'm just being truthful as to what I did) It reminded me of all of the bad things about smoking (it STUNK, it was inconvenient, and it was STILL expensive) and although I NEVER inhaled (part of my deal with myself on having a cigar as a last resort), it still helped in a pinch. Also, FYI, I have not had a cigar in almost a year . . .

I know how VERY, VERY hard it is to quit. The problem is, it always will be hard, and it only get's harder, and harder, and harder. I still miss them, occasionally, and, if I found out they were good for me, I would pick 'em right up again. Unfortunately, the possibility of that happening is about 1/1000th as good as being struck by lightning while driving my Lamborgini into my private 20 acre resort in Maui after inheriting Bill Gates' fortune.

It really just comes down to making the decision to do it, setting a date, and sticking to it - UNCONDITIONALLY. I can honestly say I will never smoke cigarettes again. Ever.

However, my battle was not easy over the past 18 months. The first 2-3 days was DEFINITELY the most difficult. The next couple months were hard, but the patch (and an occasional cigar in high-risk situations) worked pretty well for me. Cravings passed in a minute or two vs. half an hour when I first quit. Then something happend about the 4th month. TONS of energy. Good, right . . ? Nope. I was wound-up 24/7. I didn't sleep well for the next 6 months, which resulted in near constant colds/flu for the same stretch of time. I should have excercised more (matter of fact, I didn't exercise at all!), but smoking never managed to instill those healthy habits. I exercise regularly now.

My stress management was TERRIBLE (now, it's just bad), and I attribute it directly to smoking. Back when I smoked, my wife used to say I must be the most laid-back man on earth. Not the case any more, but I'm working back up to it. When you rely that long and that exclusively on chemically-induced stress relief, it really messes up your natural (mental and physical) ability to manage stress. I don't think many people take this into consideration.

After all of this, I consider myself extremely lucky. Although I still have a hot temper and bite my fingernails until they bleed, I'm not dead, I don't smoke, my wife still has a husband, my boy still has a father, and I have a life again . . . without cigarettes. Quitting will set you free. You will be suprised what you notice in life again after you do.

Whether you do it today, next week, or next month, set a date and DO IT! Think of your family, your freinds, even your pet. They'll all miss you terribly when you die. Why expidite the process? There are exactly 0 (ZERO) logical reasons to keep smoking. If you come up with one, you're kidding yourself.

------------------
zackpak

The Following User Says Thank You to zackpak For This Useful Post:
iew101 (08-06-2012)
Old 05-21-2001, 03:48 PM   #7
Inactive

Lori HB User
Thumbs up

Good job at quitting Zackpak! I agree with everything you said in your post, and think it will really hit home for some people and help them in their quitting process. Ive been quit almost 7months now and your post has helped me as well for a reality check. Take care and welcome to the board!
Lori

Old 05-21-2001, 06:07 PM   #8

Christopher74 HB User
I'm on my fifth day. It does get a lot easier, but still pretty hard. I am catching myself in those situations more where I didn't think I would enjoy them without a smoke and I do. The really hard part to this is every once in a while I feel like something is missing. I keep telling myself what is missing is me smoking and I then sorta tell myself that I shouldn't be missing it because a lot of people in this world don't smoke and they seem happy.

I'm still trying to get the hang of this.

Old 05-21-2001, 11:39 PM   #9
Inactive

Lori HB User
A good job to you too Christopher74! Hang in there, just remember you are OVER THE WORST! I only gets better now. And it IS hard but so worth it. Definately worth fighting for.
Also dont forget to change your usual 'habits' as much as you can. It helps soooo much.
Take care and hang in there!
Lori

Old 05-24-2001, 02:22 PM   #10

Smile4uhun HB User
Krista...All I can say is PLEASE STOP. I have only been a daily smoker for 8 years..since my daughter was 6 months old. It has wreaked havoc on my health...my lungs actually hurt, am filled with mucus, I have a deeper, raspy voice, I am always dealing with colds that end up taking twice as long to clear up.

Also, I have an on going issue with ear infections and strep as a small cold usually turns into a worse situation. I also will be finding out if I have developed asthma in the next two weeks.

Tomorrow I am beginning with the Patch because I realize what an idiot I have been doing this to myself. You are so young and have a great lifetime ahead of you...Please quit, I have realized that all we are doing when we smoke is commiting suicide--just slower.

You have future children that will need you on this planet...you deserve to give yourself better. Take it from me I am only 32 years old and feel like I am 50 because of the dirty habit of smoking I have picked up.

------------------
Smiles, Trish

[This message has been edited by Smile4uhun (edited 05-24-2001).]

Old 06-08-2001, 03:22 PM   #11

Bill Magic HB User
Chris.. I have to make one point here and disagree with Lori..(sorry..)
I really don't think you should change your habits at all ..That is, besides the smoking part..
For example.. I work in a factory and would regularly go to the front of the building every hour and burn 2 smokes..
When I quit, (which has been 3 1/2 weeks ago), I stopped going outside and would find something else to do..
It was killing me.. I wanted to kill people...
So what I started doing was going out side,maybe not every hour, just like I used to when I smoked, and having a small cup of coffee.. I am chewing nicorette, so thats when I will do it.. i found it much easier sticking to my habits but diverting from the smoking.. Good Luck

Old 06-12-2001, 12:28 AM   #12
Inactive

BEARALLNTX HB User
[QUOTE]Originally posted by xXxKRISTAxXx:
[B]I know your probably thinking what a horrible 15yr old. But I'm an honor roll student, popular, and active but I've been smoking on and off for about 3 years

Back in the late 1960's when I was in school I took up chewing tobacco, there were really no warnings at that time other then your teeth would rot out. In the mid 1980's I was watching a TV news show, and they were talking about the effect of chewing tobacco and kids. One young man about 17 years old,
put the chewing tobacco in his mouth only two times. He started having mouth sores, went to the doctor, a week later they had taken his tongue out. But it didn't stop there, within 3 months he was dead!

And you say your on the honor roll. I think you need to be smart to be there don't you?

Some people can use tobacco all there lives and not have any problems, but other aren't as lucky. With the high levels of stress, it weakens the body, depleting your level of Vitamins and Minerals in the body. This in turn allows unwanted problems to enter the body.

Closed Thread