It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2001, 05:05 PM   #1

FD HB User
Post Methods of quitting -- what worked for you?

I quit smoking a few weeks ago, and was curious to know how other people on this board have gone about quitting, and how well it's worked for them. Cold turkey? Wellbutrin? Zyban? The patch? The gum? Hypnotherapy? Herbal medicines?

I quit after going to see a hypnotherapist who was recommended to me by several people that quit after visiting him. I personally wasn't ready to quit yet (my husband was ready so we went together), and I pretty much didn't believe in the whole hypnotherapy thing. I still don't, frankly...although I did quit smoking so there's something, I guess.

I explained in another WAY off topic thread about what "hypnotherapy" as it applied to my experience meant...mostly it was three one hour discussion sessions wherein the person that helped me quit talked to me about how I had been tricking myself into believing smoking was ok for over 12 years, and that I needed to be reminded in a direct way why it was NOT ok, and how to deal with the resulting "withdrawl" and other symptoms I would encounter (kind of giving me a mental toolbox to resort to when needed). I don't think I was hypnotized, and even if I was to a degree it's nothing like the hypnosis you see on TV or in the movies. I didn't have any real withdrawl from the addiction itself, basically all that I had a hard time with (and still do) is the habit of reaching for a smoke every 15 minutes which I do without thinking.

I'm totally not advocating hypnotherapy, in fact I'm still not sure how much of my quitting smoking can be attributed to it. I was just curious if anyone else had tried it, and also hoping to get stories of what methods worked for everyone here. Commiseration welcome!

And a big ole congratulatons to everyone that has quit. If I had known how difficult it would be to quit back when I started I never would have, you know?

[This message has been edited by FD (edited 03-29-2001).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2001, 11:56 PM   #2

rajesh chandnani HB User
Question

Dear friend,
Hope this letter finds u in ur best of heath with the grace of almighty.
I was going through ur write up & I thought I had a question in my mind for which u can help me.
I have stopped smoking on 29th January-2001 .(I have smoked for almost 20 years @ average 15 cigarettes a day i.e during having a drink I used to smoke more and also I have had drinks beer and whisky from the past 18 years at an average of 3 drinks thrice a week).I have also stopped alcohol from 29th January-2001 along with cigarettes completely.I am now 36 years old.
I am very happy about it and I am also feeling very good and infact I have now no cravings at all as personally its been last 3 years I was fed up of smoking and used to smoke because of compulsion rather than pleasure and drinks because of social life and sometimes fun ( I am married with one daughter of 7 years and by the way I am very happily married touch wood}

now my problem is though the cravings r not there I get sudden headaches and dizziness mainly in the evenings--which last for an hour or two and also I get cold sweat and I feel as I will faint.now my doctor feels it can not be withdrawal symptoms of nicotine but he is not sure since he says now its been nearly 2 months u have left it (though he is very happy about it),he feels it is ANXIETY ( stress & tension ) as my business has really nose dived since last 6 months .so he has given me one nerve relation tablet which when I take I feel quite relaxed after some time.I want to know one thing which last 15 days I am trying get the info from internet.HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR THE WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS GO AWAY IN A CASE LIKE MINE?AND EXACTLY IN DETAIL WHAT DOES A PERSON FEELS PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY DURING THIS WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS(so I can compare with mine)

I will really appreciate if u give me some knowledge since I am at one side very happy that I could quit it this time since previously I have tried numerous time but never succeeded more than 11 days and this time I dont want to touch it but at the same time I am not sure that what is happening to me ( dizziness, cold sweat ,faint feeling,headache after 2 months of no nicotine is due to no intake of it or I have some other problem).

awaiting ur reply early

thanks

Rajesh Chandnani

------------------
rajesh chandnani

[This message has been edited by moderator3 (edited 03-30-2001).]

Old 03-30-2001, 12:14 AM   #3
Inactive

Lori HB User
Smile

First of all, congrats on the few weeks!!
I quit cold turkey, and I found the worst over after 3 days. Also Ive known people who quit succesfully with hypnotherepy. Everyone is different and different methods work with different people.
Take care!
Lori

Old 03-30-2001, 12:34 AM   #4
Inactive

Lori HB User
Rajesh,
Great job on quitting for 2 months!
I also experienced dizziness and headaches after I quit, but I dont think they lasted to 2 months nor were to any extreme. But everyone is different...
Im not sure if your symptoms are withdrawl symptoms of quitting so far along from the cigarettes, but you mentioned you also quit alcohol? Maybe that could be part of it also. I think you should get it checked out (just to be safe) as it could be something more serious.
Remember that even though you are experiencing these problems dont let that go back to smoking/drinking. Because whatever the cause, smoking and drinking will ONLY make things worse.
I hoped Ive helped.
Take care
Lori

Old 03-30-2001, 11:06 AM   #5

FD HB User
Thanks for the congratulations, Lori. Congrats to you too! Cold turkey is incredibly impressive. I needed help, my mind just wasn't where it needed to be to do it on my own.

That three day thing applied to me too...I had a hard time the first three days. How long have you been quit now?

And great advice for Rajesh, too Lori! It may or may not be from the quitting smoking/drinking, but going back to it will only make it worse. I too would recommend seeing your doctor and discussing the problems with him.

Old 03-31-2001, 01:48 AM   #6
Inactive

Lori HB User
Talking

Thank you FD!
Ive been smoke free for 5 months and 3 days.
You mentioned you quit along with your husband? My fiance quit just days after me and that made the whole thing so much easier for both of us.
About the problem with reaching for a smoke every 15 minutes, that will go away-Promise
Take care!
Lori

Old 04-13-2001, 10:50 AM   #7

beckeboyer HB User
Cool

I quit using a combination of Zyban and the patch. It worked pretty well for me as it was my first attempt to quit (I smoked for 16 years, about 2 packs a day)and haven't cheated once -- I love my life as a non-smoker. My one year anniversary was on 3/18.

Becke

Old 04-13-2001, 12:56 PM   #8

FD HB User
That's SO great becke, congratulations! Especially impressive on the first try to quit AND 2 packs a day. Way to go!

I am officially at one month today, and I love my life as a non smoker too. I still have "fond memories" of smoking occasionally, but they are easily overcome when I do things like clean all the tar off the inside of my windows. Gross.

Old 04-14-2001, 02:37 PM   #9

Wucky HB User
I just discovered this board today, so hello to all! I quit smoking eleven (long) days ago, and did it cold turkey. I had been advised to use everything from laser (too expensive) to Zyban (don't like pills), but after having a long talk with myself, I decided to go cold turkey to prove I had at least SOME inner strength. I've been pretty down on myself lately, and figured if I could quit cold turkey, I had to be an "ok" person. Twisted logic, maybe, but there you have it. At any rate, I've been doing ok....cravings, to be sure, mostly after I eat (and when I have coffee, and when I get behind the wheel, and when I answer the phone...etc, etc.) But I am now confident that this is the "quit that will stick". I had to laugh when I read the comment from another poster about the tar on the windows, because one of the first things I did when I quit was to clean all the storm windows on my screen porch. It was my "smoking room" all winter, and good heavens, was that an eye-opener! They didn't LOOK that dirty! The orange crud on the paper towels was enough to gag me, thinking of all that and more inside ME. At any rate, message boards have been a huge support for me over the past eleven days. Glad to meet all of you!

Old 04-14-2001, 03:25 PM   #10
Inactive

Lori HB User
Thumbs up

Welcome aboard Wucky! Great job on quitting!!!

Old 04-18-2001, 04:38 AM   #11

Wucky HB User
Thanks, Lori....yesterday completed my second full week of being smoke-free! How is everyone else doing? This board seems kind of quiet....

Old 04-21-2001, 10:48 AM   #12

FD HB User
Sorry Wucky, I've been sorta awol from the internet lately.

Congratulations on being two weeks smoke free! That rocks, you should be very proud of yourself. The hardest part is past!

I am at 6 weeks and doing pretty well. I still have the urge every now and again but for the most part it's gone and I feel much better physically and emotionally.

Old 04-22-2001, 08:56 AM   #13

440 cat HB User
1 day away from week 4 ..whats seems to be working for me is i can now can jog almost 3 km . whereas before i couldn,t jog 3 telephone posts .my lungs feel better i feel better , don,t get me wrong i would love to smoke even now. but i don,t want to ruin what i,ve done so far + i have a goal of 10 km 6 months to aim at..setting goals seem to have helped me alot in not smoking... GREAT WORK FOR ALL WHO QUIT ..and for those who haven,t and read the posts here just give it a good hard try u can do it..

Old 04-22-2001, 09:22 PM   #14
(female)

Lynn893 HB User
Hello all... 12 years this past March.
I tried to quit smoking so many times that it wasn't funny anymore. My friends would say, again? How long this time? two days? wanna smoke?

I found out that I was pregnant near the end of February. And was trying very hard to cut down on my almost 2 pack a day habit. I was out waiting for a streetcar to get to work, smoking a cigarette, reading a Vogue book. I was reading the section on pregnancy!

There was a line that caught in my mind like a fish hook - "Every inhalation of a cigarette you take, robs the unborn baby of necessary ozygen" - I could see (in my mind's eye!) this tiny little baby choking, waving the air to clear the smoke!
I threw away my cigarette - and quit cold turkey. I had a few setbacks (just a puff or two) but never a full cigarette and never resumed smoking again. I can still picture that day vividly! I can still picture my baby waving the air for fresh ozygen in my womb!
Well, that's my story.

Peace

Old 05-08-2001, 05:27 PM   #15

mangokitten HB User
Well i have been trying to quit and i finaly said ok i had enough i pack of cigs would last me about 3 days. And then one day i told my boyfriend that is it for me and i stoped and never lit up a cig again i find it hard now and again i have not had a cig for 1 week now. Wow it has been hard somethings i do that is when i find it hard at times. But i find my eating habits i am eating more a little anyways.

------------------
Mango

Closed Thread