It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2001, 10:44 AM   #1

californiagirl HB User
Question Craving to smoke when I drink

I quit smoking on April 20th. I knew my down fall was going to be when I drink alcohol. And, sure enough, I was at a party a couple of weekends ago and wanted a cig., which I had, didn't even like, and put out right away. Which is good, but, I know my weakness is smoking when I drink. I really don't care to smoke at any other time anymore. Does anyone have this craving (smoking with drinking)? If so, do you have a way you deter yourself from giving into the temptation? Summer is coming up and I go to a lake about 3 weekends a month, which almost always involves social drinking. I want to be successful at my quitting and just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. Thank you for listening/reading.

Old 05-03-2001, 12:15 PM   #2

workinggirl HB User
Californiagirl, I also quit smoking the same time you did. I really want to smoke when I am out with friends drinking. I have found that if I sit down from the smokers it helps me control the urge. Also I just tell myself that I did not smoke yesterday and I did not smoke today so I sure hope I will not smoke tomorrow. My hardest time is in the car and I just took a 6 hour road trip and was worried about giving in. I did not have one!!! yea me. But I do keep Strawberry and orange creme life savers with me at all times... Have only gained 6 pounds how about you? I think that is leveling off too. Good luck and let me know how you are doing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2001, 02:37 PM   #3

californiagirl HB User
working girl, congrats on your accomplishment (especially with your road trip chanllenge). Thank you for your hint about the smoking while out with friends. I have not gained any weight (luckily). I was really terrified of that so I increased my physical activities (which in turn also helped me not want to smoke). I know that smoking speeds up your metabolism. But, it is supposed to even out. I am sure you are doing just that. I always try to remind myself how much better my body and life are without smoking. Keep it up! You are worth it.

Old 06-08-2001, 01:57 PM   #4

Bill Magic HB User
Cali girl..I'm with you on the smoking and drinking...
I quit smokes 3 1/2 weeks ago..Haven't had 1..
However I allow myself one small sweet cigar a day which I don't inhale..
So when I go out, i have that cigar...
They may have some sort of feminine cigar you could have ..I don't know..
I look at it this way..In 3 1/2 half weeks, I've managed not to smoke about 900 cigs.. Instead, I had 25 small cigars that I didn't inhale..
I smoked for 22 years..
My lungs feel awesome.. Also, I'm sure eventually I could probably ditch the cigars.

Good Luck to you an me...

Old 06-11-2001, 11:31 PM   #5

goz HB User
cal-girl,
My last cig was 9/4/01 and still have been drinking even more than before but feeling really fantastic. I still hang around w/ friends that smoke and when I'm drunk I'll chew tobacco and then I'd think it was such a stupid act. Hey, most important, I still dont smoke.

Old 06-27-2001, 01:06 PM   #6

ms freckles HB User
OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!

quit in March. Took three puffs this weekend, there I said it. I feel awful... I was drinking and just got weak. I am very upset with myself right now. Thought I was stronger than that.

Old 06-27-2001, 02:42 PM   #7
Inactive

Lori HB User
Smile

It's ok to make mistakes Ms Freckles! Just learn from them. Drinking IS really bad for when you are quitting, it tends to lower our control. And most people tend to smoke more when they drink anyway, so the habit part applies here too. You are still ok Ms Freckles, just jump back on and dont let them three puffs get you down. You make a mistake, learn, move forward.
Take care,
Lori http://forums.evilnet.net/ubb/smilies/jump3.gif

------------------
I wish to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Old 06-28-2001, 06:29 AM   #8

ms freckles HB User
Thanks Lori... feel better today, but just hate the fact that I am no longer smoke free for 3 months. Have to start my count over again. But it made me feel so bad emotionally that I think that was the last of it for me. One day at a time huh!! How can something like smoking have such control? I choose not to have a candy bar why can't I choose not to have a cig?? just confused today

Old 07-07-2001, 12:19 PM   #9

Azzriele HB User
Ms. Freckles, I too am at the 3 month mark, and i quite frankly would love to have a smoke. It was easier a month ago, when I was still busy patting myself on the back for quitting. Now i LONG to have one, GRRRRRRRRR..

I know just how you feel. There were times when I was drinking that I almost turned the house upside down looking for a cig; if I could have found one, I would have smoked it fer sure. My friends are instructed not to let me bum cigarettes even if I beg. However, my dad's cigarettes are within arm's reach as i type this, and the only thing stopping me is knowing that the next time I have to quit will be impossible (this time was hard enough!). You only slipped, having those puffs. You didn't fall off the wagon completely. Don't get so blue that you just start smoking again. I would like to think that if I did get my hands on a cigarette in a weak moment(not that i'm planning it, but you know), that it wouldn't mean the end for me. Take care! Stay positive. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/gabby.gif

Old 07-07-2001, 03:03 PM   #10
Inactive

Lori HB User
Thumbs up

Ms. Freckles,
How are you doing now? Dont let that little mistake get you down. Remember everyone makes mistakes and it IS really hard to kick these darned things, they are way more addicting than a candy bar! It was just a mistake learn from it and be stronger than before Almost everyone trying to quit slips, its those that dont learn from it that continue smoking. Hang in there! How are you doing?
Take care,
Lori

------------------
I wish to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

[This message has been edited by Lori (edited 07-07-2001).]

Closed Thread