It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2001, 10:41 AM   #1

Paul Shaw HB User
Exclamation Zyban - Is it a Killer ?

Hi

My mom lives in the UK and has been taking Zyban for about 6 days, recently taking two tablets a day. She has been suffering from Sleeplessness for the last 3 days, which from ym research, I now believe are a direct result of this drug.

There has been a news article on the BBC News (UK TV) that claims that Zyban has been linked to the deaths of 18 people in the UK.

After hearing this news and reading the reviews of a number of people on this message board, I believe I should be advising my mom to stop taking this drug. However, should she withdraw gradually or stop immediately. Your advice, help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Paul.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2001, 01:20 PM   #2

richardthelionhearted HB User
I believe you should be advising your mom to consult her doctor about the side effects she is experiencing. Sleeplessness is very much a side effect associated with QUITTING SMOKING.

If the British media is anything like the American media, they like nothing better than to hype the DANGERS!!!! of this, that or the other thing. Nevertheless, even if it is true that Zyban has killed 18 people in the UK, that is a hell of a lot less people than cig's have killed in the UK.

Personally, I experienced some really wierd side effects, but nothing life threatening. I credit Zyban with helping me quit smoking, which I think was a much greater danger to my health than the Zyban.

If you are looking for internet confirmation that Zyban is "A KILLER!!!!" you will find it. You can find people on the internet claiming anything & everything is "A KILLER!!!!". When you see that many exclamation points though, turn on your bull**** detector, because somebody probably either has an axe to grind or is selling something.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2001, 02:58 PM   #3

Madeline HB User
I would agree with Richard. The media often hype things out of all proportion. I remember when Prozac came out there was exactly the same hoo-hah about it all. I've taken that myself and have never had any problems!

I started taking Zyban myself yesterday, and my fiance heard about the "18 deaths" today and is trying to get me to stop using Zyban. However, although I recognise there are risks involved with the drug, the likelihood of anything happening is very small. I have a history of depression and anxiety but I still believe taking Zyban is worth the risk if it means I can kick this awful habit for good.

If you are that concerned for your mum then she must go and see her doctor and discuss it with him. I would personally wait and see how things go first, if the side effects get too bad she can always come off Zyban.

Don't forget, quitting smoking has its own side effects too...nicotine is officially as addictive as heroin so you have to expect a bumpy ride regardless!

Old 05-22-2001, 04:01 PM   #4

collissa HB User
Red face

Agreed, the media does have a tendency to hype things way out of proportion, however, as a researcher into this drug and an advocate for many, many individuals who have NOT been covered by the media who have lost loved ones after exposure to the drug and those who are continuing to experience long term serious problems, long after cessation of the drug,I can unequivocably state the drug has VERY dangerous properties. Be watching for the publications to be coming out in the scientific journals concerning the properties of the drug. No hype there. The truth about this drug will come to light through bonafide, scientifically replicable proof. Metabolism appears to play a large role in it's serious deliterious effects for some, however, the metabolites of the drug are connected with the causation of it's toxicity many times in such individuals. Under 18 month's worth of Medwatch reports, (which reflect only 1% to 10% of any adverse event, including death, reported in relation to a drug listed as the primary suspect drug), show bupropion (Zyban/Wellbutrin) to have appeared in over 1,500 reports alone, the vast majority presenting with multiple, serious damages. Deaths, birth abnormalities, spontaneous abortions, strokes, neuro brain damage, a multitude of different seizures and convulsive events with injuries, cardiovascular accidents and more are included in the report. The FDA has been proven to have no way of ascertaining the FREQUENCY of such adverse events in a CULMINATIVE manner, only the fact that they have occurred in association with any particular drug. Result: statistical limbo for those unfortunate enough to have been killed or suffered great life altering disabilities as a result of exposure. Were the numbers to be tallied, the facts would speak for themselves. Basically, one may be fortunate enough to be shot at and missed, which does not justify the shooting nor the shootee, nor the risk. One may be inclined to counter, rightfully so, "if this drug is so bad, why is it not recognized by MDs nor attended to by the FDA?" Truth is, MDs haven't the time to wade through the enormous amount of serious side effects, (many life changing and/or fatal), found in the voluminous product insert, admitted to be "reasonably connected" with the drug. The FDA has, through their own admission, revealed there is little they can do about many drugs due to lack of funding and employees until outside research can show a drug to be particularly harmful (most especially with those that make such an enormous amount of money for their manufacturers.) Getting research published that threatens the financial security of lucrative drugs is no easy chore, as much conflict of interest is rampant in the FDA/research/journal/pharmaceutical companys' relationships. There was a site on the web which showed hundreds of peoples' postings concerning this drug and their frightenging, disabling experiences, including the loss of their loved ones. I have been in contact with many of them. The site was bought out - their stories now lost in cyberspace. Whether my contentions or those who find them to be questionable prove to be true will only be a matter of time, while many pay the price with their very lives in the waiting. "All truth passes through three stages: first it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." (Arthur Schopenhauer 1778-1860) This won't be the first nor the last drug to have proven to be very dangerous, and yes, lethal...unfortunately at the expense of many innocent, decieved human beings. The state of legal drugging via approved pharmaceuticals has been deemed by many within the medical community as a hit or miss proposition, with we humans serving as the very lucrative marketing testing grounds: the true safety profile of a drug is dependent on the human experiment "that necessarily follows a drug's release onto the market." This statement was made by a pharm expert. Human experiment? When will we wake up and realize that is what we have been reduced to in the name of "quick fixes" and the procurement of the almighty dollar - no better than the cigarette manufacturers we so vehemently condemn. Is the "cure" worse than the "disease"? The history books will have to answer this one...

Old 05-22-2001, 04:04 PM   #5

collissa HB User
Red face

Agreed, the media does have a tendency to hype things way out of proportion, however, as a researcher into this drug and an advocate for many, many individuals who have NOT been covered by the media who have lost loved ones after exposure to the drug and those who are continuing to experience long term serious problems, long after cessation of the drug,I can unequivocably state the drug has VERY dangerous properties. Be watching for the publications to be coming out in the scientific journals concerning the properties of the drug. No hype there. The truth about this drug will come to light through bonafide, scientifically replicable proof. Metabolism appears to play a large role in it's serious deliterious effects for some, however, the metabolites of the drug are connected with the causation of it's toxicity many times in such individuals. Under 18 month's worth of Medwatch reports, (which reflect only 1% to 10% of any adverse event, including death, reported in relation to a drug listed as the primary suspect drug), show bupropion (Zyban/Wellbutrin) to have appeared in over 1,500 reports alone, the vast majority presenting with multiple, serious damages. Deaths, birth abnormalities, spontaneous abortions, strokes, neuro brain damage, a multitude of different seizures and convulsive events with injuries, cardiovascular accidents and more are included in the report. The FDA has been proven to have no way of ascertaining the FREQUENCY of such adverse events in a CULMINATIVE manner, only the fact that they have occurred in association with any particular drug. Result: statistical limbo for those unfortunate enough to have been killed or suffered great life altering disabilities as a result of exposure. Were the numbers to be tallied, the facts would speak for themselves. Basically, one may be fortunate enough to be shot at and missed, which does not justify the shooting nor the shootee, nor the risk. One may be inclined to counter, rightfully so, "if this drug is so bad, why is it not recognized by MDs nor attended to by the FDA?" Truth is, MDs haven't the time to wade through the enormous amount of serious side effects, (many life changing and/or fatal), found in the voluminous product insert, admitted to be "reasonably connected" with the drug. The FDA has, through their own admission, revealed there is little they can do about many drugs due to lack of funding and employees until outside research can show a drug to be particularly harmful (most especially with those that make such an enormous amount of money for their manufacturers.) Getting research published that threatens the financial security of lucrative drugs is no easy chore, as much conflict of interest is rampant in the FDA/research/journal/pharmaceutical companys' relationships. There was a site on the web which showed hundreds of peoples' postings concerning this drug and their frightenging, disabling experiences, including the loss of their loved ones. I have been in contact with many of them. The site was bought out - their stories now lost in cyberspace. Whether my contentions or those who find them to be questionable prove to be true will only be a matter of time, while many pay the price with their very lives in the waiting. "All truth passes through three stages: first it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." (Arthur Schopenhauer 1778-1860) This won't be the first nor the last drug to have proven to be very dangerous, and yes, lethal...unfortunately at the expense of many innocent, decieved human beings. The state of legal drugging via approved pharmaceuticals has been deemed by many within the medical community as a hit or miss proposition, with we humans serving as the very lucrative marketing testing grounds: the true safety profile of a drug is dependent on the human experiment "that necessarily follows a drug's release onto the market." This statement was made by a pharm expert. Human experiment? When will we wake up and realize that is what we have been reduced to in the name of "quick fixes" and the procurement of the almighty dollar - no better than the cigarette manufacturers we so vehemently condemn. Is the "cure" worse than the "disease"? The history books will have to answer this one...

Old 05-23-2001, 09:20 AM   #6

Christopher74 HB User
When I stopped taking Zyban when I got wierd side effects, I stopped cold turkey and had no reaction. That is not my medical advice as I am not a doctor. There could be problems by stopping all together. Who knows?

Old 07-20-2001, 02:33 PM   #7

Taylor HB User
Thumbs down

I would like to share my experience with Zyban. I was on the drug for approximately 4 weeks and doing well, after I got over the initial side effects of jitteriness and sleelessness. All of a sudden one day my hands and feet became itchy, however there was no rash or hives. After about 2 days of this, I got some chest pain one night, it didn't last long maybe 5 minutes, I wasn't even sure if it was chest pain or indigestion. Then the next day I got chest pain again, however this time it lasted a little longer, about 20 minutes. Again I wasn't sure if it was indigestion or chest pain, silly I know! Then again the next day, I began having chest pain on and off all day, so I stopped the drug and went to see my Dr. He ordered me to stop the drug. Now, I am not a stupid person, actually, I am a nurse. I scoured the information booklet that I got when I started the drug, looking for my side effects, they are not listed, I even went on the Zyban web site, again there is no mention of the side effects I was having. If I wasn't a nurse, I may not have known that what I was having, was a delayed allergic reaction to the drug. I do believe that this drug is lethal to some people, however many use it and are totally fine. I am a young woman, 32 years old, I do not have any major health problems or an underlying heart condition. Within 3 days of discontinuing the drug, my symptoms disappeared. I believe anyone considering taking, or who already are taking this drug, need to find out as much about it as they can, and Physicians really need to relay ALL side effects to their patients when prescribing this drug. Just my 2 cents, good luck to all.

Closed Thread