It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2001, 11:35 AM   #1

Smile4uhun HB User
Talking Scared of Failure..Need Support!

Hey everybody....I went out at lunch today and bought the patch. I plan on waking up tomorrow and starting a new life. I have been smoking 1 to 2 packs sometimes more if I went to the bar (which I haven't been to anymore in a year) and feel like hell.

I am 32 years old and ashamed of my weak charecter. I have fallen apart health wise. Not only do I smoke, but am overweight. I am tired all of the time, deal with constant headaches, my lungs actually HURT, irritable, insomnia.

I realized that this has got to stop...I am slowly committing suicide. I will never live to see my 8 year old graduate from College or get married. Everyone in my family has died from cancer.

I have to admit to you guys that I am really, really scared. Scared of failing, scared of getting heavier. I want to do this, but am so used to having it be this way that it seems easier. I know things in life that are good don't come easy....lord knows I have learned this the hard way. I just need some words of encouragement to get through this. I will check in tomorrow (Fri) during my first day...Thanks all

------------------
Smiles, Trish

Old 05-24-2001, 12:19 PM   #2

workinggirl HB User
Thumbs up

Smile4uhun......., you just made the best decision of your life. I stopped smoking almost three months ago and this is the third time. This time if feels so right. I also didn't like to smoke and I have asthma. It is interesting that you think you have such weak character, I thought the same thing and the day I stopped smoking was because a friend told me I was the strongest person she knew and I could do anything. WOW! nobody had ever said that to me and it really meant alot. I went to buy the "patch" and thought damn these things are so expensive, why am I going to give my money to Nicoderm. I am going to keep my money. So I walked out of the store with no patch. I made the decision to stop smoking, but I did not tell anyone this but me. To much pressure to live up to. "I did not smoke yesterday and i have not smoked today and I hope like hell I don't smoke tomorrow", is my motto. Please don't sell yourself short, You to can stop smoking if you want to. Use whatever it takes because you don't want to miss out on your kids lives. My grandson was born with asthma three months ago and that also made a big impact on me. Three months old and having 6 breathing treatments a day. I want to see him grow up, so the monkey is off my back!!!! I hope this time for good. Goodluck to you and I know you can do it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2001, 01:16 PM   #3

Smile4uhun HB User
Dear WorkingGirl,

I too have been told I am the strongest person...I started out at 22 pregnant with no job skills, kicked out of my parents house with no money, there were times when my daughter was first born that we had no telephone, no car nothing much else to speak of except welfare.

I put myself through school, and started on a better career path, last year I ended a 5 and a half year stint with an alcoholic who verbally and physically abused me (not to mention a habit of being with men like that)...today I am happy to say that I now have a meaningful career, a relationship with a man who treats me with respect and dignity...but alas here's the smoking and weight issue and I am feeling as weak as a baby...but thank you for your encouraging words.

I also just found out last Friday that my daughter has asthma when I went to have her tested for her allergies...this has become a motivator...I have started wondering if I have it too....

------------------
Smiles, Trish

Old 05-24-2001, 04:31 PM   #4

workinggirl HB User
Question

Smiles, are we sisters? With a histroy like that I think we could be. You just keep believing in yourself. With what you have done with your life, there is no doubt that you will stop smoking..then work on the weight next. I am so proud of you,because when you make up your mind to do something you do it. That takes alot woman!!! I was just driving down the interstate from work noticing how many people were smoking and you know what I was so glad that I was not. My car doesn't stink, but I sure do miss it especially driving. But so far, no smokes today, and hope like hell none tomorrow. One day at a time. Let me know how you are doing.

Old 05-24-2001, 06:16 PM   #5

Smile4uhun HB User
WorkingGirl,

You are so sweet! I'll check in with you in the midst of my withdrawl tomorrow! LOL...I too will miss the smoking in the car...I am going to try my best to be strong...

------------------
Smiles, Trish

Old 05-25-2001, 12:00 AM   #6

Badgerbabe HB User
Hi..I too am trying to quit..I am a 35 year old female with a history of cancer in the family. I was smoking close to 2 pack a day and just recently started Welbutrin SR to help stop and so far I have cut down..one pack lasts me 2 days now and my quit day is coming up(June 2nd)and I feel confident that I can do this with the help of Welbutrin..cigarettes do not taste the same and do not satisfy like they did before starting the meds. I wish you luck!

Old 05-25-2001, 12:08 PM   #7

Smile4uhun HB User
Well I am in the middle of day one...It's a little after 3 p.m. and I have not lit one up today!! I am proud though it's still not the end of the day YET, but I feel confident that I can make it through this day. I felt slightly anxious this morning and had to take my anxiety meds (which I haven't had to take in a long time).

A few times today I forgot what I was doing and thought "gee I haven't had a cig yet, let me go outside..." and then I smiled to myself and realized I wasn't going to do that! LOL. This morning in my car I was waiting in the drive through for my Dunkin' Donuts coffee on the way to work...suddenly I realized that I wasn't smoking in it like I usually do..it felt weird. At lunch in the car I kinda felt weird again because usually I would be smoking up a storm on lunch break, but I just held a pen in my hand like a cigarette (o.k. corny I know). Well hopefully I will make it through these first few days without ripping anyone's head off....

------------------
Smiles, Trish

Old 05-25-2001, 08:52 PM   #8

Badgerbabe HB User
Congratulations! You made it through the day without smoking..

I know its going to be tough. One thing Ive heard is to change your normal routine if possible..suck on hard candy or as you did..hold the pen in your hand..anything that makes you comfortable..the hardest for me is going to be smoking and drinking coffee..and I REFUSE to give up coffee..LOL

Good Luck! You CAN do it!

Old 05-27-2001, 07:34 PM   #9

Smile4uhun HB User
Badger,

I am now coming to the end of day 3!! I have done it! Yesterday was tough as I was at a graduation party a lot of people around me were smoking and I came close a few times to saying to hell with it, but I didn't! I felt so proud. I have made it through the first 72 hours and hope to keep going!

------------------
Smiles, Trish

Old 05-27-2001, 09:15 PM   #10
Inactive

Lori HB User
Smile

You are doing great Smile4uhun!! You are actually over what most people consider "the worst". The first week is considered 'hell week' but I consider the first 3 days as 'hell'. The rest just keeps getting better! Think of it as a hill. 1st,2nd is uphill, 3rd day is the peak, 4th,5th,etc are the downhill and on to happier healthier days. It only gets better now!
As for your previous posts. I have nothing but respect for you with what you had to deal with and how you still struggled and came out ahead.
Something jumped out at me when you mentioned you were overweight and tired,etc, I was wondering have you had your Thyroid checked? If not I suggest you do that. If you thyroid is normal than you shouldnt have to worry about much weight gain. Most people only gain about 5 pounds, and then lose that again after a few months. Even to lessen the chance drink TONS of water, excersise (even if its walking, taking the stairs instead of elevator, parking farther away in parking lots so have to walk farther to the entrance, anything!-I know its hard to do with little energy but it will be worth it), and be carefull of what you eat. Snack on healthy sweet fruit or crunchy veggies. Try to limit caffine, etc.
Take care you are doing FANTASTIC!!! Keep reminding yourself why you are quitting, make sure your house/car/anywhere else you smoked is cleaned out extremely well to help.
Good job again, especially with your strength at the graduation party!
Lori

Old 05-29-2001, 09:04 AM   #11

Smile4uhun HB User
Day 5 everybody! I feel strong, but still a little shaky from time to time..I HAVE to admit, I had ONE puff last night...It tasted horrible..I threw it down the toilet. I didn't count is as falling off the wagon because after the one puff I realized it sucked and I would be an idiot to puff it again!

------------------
Smiles, Trish

Old 05-29-2001, 03:59 PM   #12

workinggirl HB User
Talking

smile, went away for the holiday and checked to see how you are doing. I am so PROUD of you! Keep up the good work. Now listen ok, don't puff again.. thats is where I alway loose it and start right back. but guess what, no smokes yesterday, no smokes today, and hope like hell no smokes tomorrow!!!! I know what you mean about being around people that are smoking but we do believe in ourselves and we can do this. good job.. let me know how you are doing ok many smiles :0

Old 05-29-2001, 04:19 PM   #13

Pdhot HB User
3 1/2 weeks now. It'll be 4 whole weeks Thursday. I still want one.
BTW~Hello! I'm new here and this is my first post.

Old 05-29-2001, 10:13 PM   #14

Badgerbabe HB User
Red face

Smiles..
You are over the worst, or so I hear! Congrats! Keep up the good work!!

my quit day is fast approaching!! (June 2..this Sat!) I am very afraid of not being able to do it..I am taking welbutrin to help and have cut down alot. I also have alot of stress right now, but I used that excuse before.. No more excuses! Im going to give it my best shot!

Old 05-30-2001, 06:38 AM   #15

workinggirl HB User
Cool

welcome PD.. come join the quitting team. It feels so good to be able to walk and not have to stop to catch my breath. I think I will take up hiking again!! yea!!!!! Goodluck to everyone, now tell me the truth.. feels good to get that monkey off your back... Fixing to meet my three months and this is where I always decide ok I can have just one!!! I must remember . One day at a time!!!

Closed Thread