It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2001, 01:56 PM   #1
davew

Question 1 cigarette vs. 1 pack a day

A few days ago, my friend, who's been studying lung cancer in school, told me that there's no difference if a person smokes 1 cig or 1 pack a day. It's all about the length of period someone smokes and both have the same harmful effects. So if there were 2 people who smokes, 1 who smoked 1 cig a day for 5 years and the other who somked 1 pack a day for 5 years, he says the body is damaged the same amount. This totally doesn't make sense to me and has been on my mind since he told me this.

Has anyone heard or read anything about this before?

TIA.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2001, 06:42 PM   #2

Bill Magic HB User
Cool

Thats a rediculous theory your friend was taught.
It is twenty times more harmful.
Actually, I have read that if you only smoked one cig a day you probably would never develop any problems, because your lungs would be able to repair in the 24 hr span.
But trust me, there is a huge difference between smoking a pack a day vs. 1 cig a day.
Your lungs become much more congested with the quantity of smoke that you are putting in.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2001, 03:20 PM   #3

beautyangel HB User
HAHA, I wish that were true but it is not. If I could get away with smoking 20 cigs a day vs. 1, i'd probably do it. The post before me was correct. Your lungs repair themselves and with only 1 cigarette a day, you would probably NEVER get any problems.
Think about It: Every cigarette you smoke brings more tabacco etc. into your lungs. That's exactly why they say if you smoke a pack or more a day, don't use birth control. 20 cigs a day is 20x worse than 1 cig a day.

Old 09-17-2001, 07:17 PM   #4

Wendy_MB HB User
Thumbs down

well it doesn't matter whether its one cigarette or twenty, the addiction is addiction....nicotine running through your blood creating feeding that addiction. Therefore One is Too Many!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus who the h#ll do you know that only smokes 1 cigarette?

just my two cents

Old 10-06-2001, 07:34 PM   #5

XelNaga HB User
I agree with the second and third posts.

Old 10-07-2001, 11:12 AM   #6

Veracan HB User
Yes, 20 cigs a day is alot and 1 is 1 too many.

Damage may be minimul but it is certainly not better than none. Also you are still exposing your body to harmful substances and effects.

A rose by any other name is still a rose(excuse the old adage)

Besides, I smoked 2 paks a day for 25 years, and I couldn't possibly smoke one.

------------------

Closed Thread