It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2003, 09:20 PM   #1
Inactive

Wonderingwhy HB User
Post how long does it take for zyban to start working?

I just started on wellbutrin to stop smoking, wellbutrin is supposed to be the same thing as zyban. How long does it take for it to kick in before I can attempt to quit? I'm 19, and smoke 2-3 packs a day

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2003, 01:49 PM   #2
(female)

mooksie HB User
Hi Wonderingwhy,
I was on Zyban as well and it took about 10 days till I felt like I could try and quit.How many pills are you taking a day? I started with 1 for 4 days then 2 there after.It wasnt till I got to 2 a day that I quit. I have quit now for 67 days. Im now on 1 pill every 3 days and I hope to be done with them by the end of July.Good luck with your quit!!! The Zyban really helped me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2003, 10:03 AM   #3

cuppa t HB User
Hi, my husband and I are in our 3rd month of not smoking. We took Zyban, and it wasn't bad at all. We started taking the Zyban, continued to smoke, for about 2 weeks, set our quit date and actually quit 2 days before. We threw out all ash trays, lighters, left over cigarettes, and for the 'urges' we had now and then, we would suck on a lollipop! lol. As i say, it's been 3 months so far, and now and again we have the urge for a cigarette, but it passes if you put your mind on something else. The biggest change so far is the ability to inhale fresh air without coughing your guts up! lol and be prepared for the smell of stale tobacco on people that do smoke. It can really make you heave. I was most surprised when after 3 days of not smoking, i walked in the front door of WalMart, and could smell someone grinding coffee, all the way in the back of the store!! Coming out of WalMart is like running the gauntlet also, I have to cover my nose so as not to smell the cigarettes that the workers stand outside smoking. Not that they don't have the right to do it, but to me now, the smell is so offensive, it's hard to explain!! lol Much good luck with your efforts, give the meds time to kick in, and don't feel you've failed if you still crave a cigarette, the feeling will pass, believe me. Gimme a holler if you have any more questions. cuppa

Old 08-13-2003, 12:43 PM   #4

Chelledon HB User
Lightbulb

I too have been taking welbutrin for fibromyalgia and smoking cessation. My doctor told me that if she prescribed zyban to stop smoking my insurance would not pay for it but if she prescribed welbutrin for depression they would. I have not quit but I have cut my smoking in half. I also have not given up. My husband and I had stopped smoking indoors over 3 years ago in an attempt to stop. He still smokes his usual amount. If you can't quit cold turkey at least try to reduce how much you smoke and keep trying.
Good Luck
Chelle

Old 08-18-2003, 07:51 PM   #5
(female)

GeorgiaGirl404 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Chelledon:
I too have been taking welbutrin for fibromyalgia and smoking cessation. My doctor told me that if she prescribed zyban to stop smoking my insurance would not pay for it but if she prescribed welbutrin for depression they would. I have not quit but I have cut my smoking in half. I also have not given up. My husband and I had stopped smoking indoors over 3 years ago in an attempt to stop. He still smokes his usual amount. If you can't quit cold turkey at least try to reduce how much you smoke and keep trying.
Good Luck
Chelle
Does the Wellbutrin help much with your fibromyalgia?
Maybe if I take it I can kill two birds with one stone. I suffer from fibromyalgia, and I also desperately need to stop smoking. I am having dental implants next month and my dentist said there's a much greater risk of failure in smokers. How long does it take before it takes effect?

Old 08-27-2003, 11:11 AM   #6

monjul HB User
I just started taking Welbutrin 3 days ago and am considering stopping due to the anxiousness I feel. I also feel stoned all the time from it and it exacerbated my tinnitus. Are these symptoms temporary? I don't think I can last an entire month like this.

Old 08-27-2003, 07:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Monday1954 HB User
I want to hear more about wellbutrin also - I tried it
once and felt stoned all the time, I barely moved
from the couch and when I did I felt like I was in
a dream.

Could starting it slower help - instead of 1 pill a
day, could you start with 1/2 and work up?

Old 08-30-2003, 03:14 AM   #8

TLinNIreland HB User
I was on Zyban. Sadly, l broke out in massive hives on my right hand and had to stop taking it! The patches do nothing for me either.

Old 09-07-2003, 05:32 PM   #9
(female)

ladydy1 HB User
I tried Zyban for a few days until my nerves just started jumping! I was so nervous I didn't know what to do with myself so I went and bought myself some smokes! My sister quit at the same time and did very well ~ smoked 2 packs a day for about 25 years and now has been smoke free for almost 5 years!!! I am thinking of quitting again after my cigarettes are finished ~ two packs left. But, won't be using Zyban again! I'm not saying it's bad but it was in my case. I questioned however, because I use an antidepressant ~ Desipramine 400 mg. o.d. ~ could that have something to do with the reaction to the Zyban? Anybody know?

Old 09-07-2003, 05:57 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Meg28 HB User
Anxiety is a major side effect of Wellbutrin/Zyban. I'm in my fourth week of it and it's just starting to get a little bit better. It was prescribed to me for depression and I happened to be a smoker as well who had no intention on quitting but I haven't had a cigarette in the last two days! I just don't feel like having one. It's really weird.

Closed Thread