It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Speech & Language Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User
Stuttering

My daughter is 3, she is very smart and constanly talks. But she has a hard time saying what she wants to say. It's always I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I. before she can get anything out. It is driving us completly crazy. We tell her she has to slow down and think about what she wants to say first. I know her little mind is going a hundred miles a minute. My questions are is this normal? And how can I help her get rid of this. Thanks SL.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
(female)

zackbluebeach HB User
Re: Stuttering

Dear Sherri
First of all, this is very common. she is bright and learning to talk well and sometimes the words come out wrong. Now she does not know she is doing this. She is just so interested in everything, and excited and happy about communicating with you and others. Please DO NOT say slow down, take your time or anything else that calls to her attention how she is speaking. You will make her aware of it. And that is something you do not want to do.
Instead of saying, slow down, you should set aside time each day for her to interact with you. Do not call attention to how she talks, instead listen to what she says. this is very important, children that age need to be responded to. This is a busy age for parents, in most families, both parents work, and with cooking the meals, houseword, socializing, sometimes it is hard to set time aside for a quiet time with our children each day. but this is so important.
When my youngest daughter was three years old I had a chance for a job in another state. I took it thinking I would find a place for my two children after I settled there. I left my daughters with my mother and father, both Doctors
and took the job. Called home every chance I got. One day my youngest daughter could not put two words together. I quit my job and drove all night to get back home. Now my mother and father were both saying, now slow down, start over, to my three year old. I took the children home with me, and just loved them and listened to what they had to say, especially not how they said it. In three weeks she was speaking with no hesitation.
She graduated Summa *** Laud from U. of Il, and she now teaches blind children. I get to hear her speak on PBS radio and I am so proud of her, she is a superb public speaker. Just ease up on everything Sherri, and please do not call attention to her hesitation. Check to see if anything is causing stress in her life. Love her, and as she gains control over her speech hesitation will stop.
Please let me know how she does.
A Mom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2006, 11:33 PM   #3
(female)

zackbluebeach HB User

Sherri
Just had to return
I want to add that sometimes with toilet training, showing children how to eat without wearing the food, good manners, children do feel stress.
Speaking should be like breathing, it should be just as natural. You say your three year old is driving you crazy. Please do not let this show on your face.
children want to please their parents. And they are so perceptive. If you are feeling anxious, you little girl will sense this. Stuttering comes from fear, children fear they are going to stutter and they stutter because they are afraid. It becomes a vicious cycle.
IGood sleeping habits, play time tempered by naps. Not getting overtired, or hungry. And a relaxed attitude on your part will work wonders. I got this advice from a Speech Therapist at Johns Hopkins years ago for my little girl and I pass it on.
Good Luck and let me know.
A mom

Old 03-09-2006, 05:32 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User

I do set aside time everyday with my daughter. I work afternoons so I have the mornings with her and also bed time and I cherish the time that I spend with her. My husband and I work different shifts so we can be at home with her most of the time we overlap for an hour. She gets super excited when she is telling on of us how her day went and that's when she stutters. It bugs my husband more than me but this last week she has gotten alot better. I'd say only once or twice a day. Thanks for the advice. I'll keep you updated. SL.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:02 AM   #5
(female)

Deena_05 HB User

My brother had a severe case of stuttering, it was horrible for him. They say the kids who stutter are usually very bright too. Anyway, my parents had him going for speech therapy, and in a matter of weeks he was perfect. It's normal for kids.

Closed Thread