It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Speech & Language Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
(female)

lilli79 HB User
stuttering in 33 months old boy

My son is 33 months old and last monday he started to stutter!! it happened overnight, ususlly he speech was very advanced, now he has hard time to speak and sometimes he gets blocked and he forget what he was trying to say..he can repeate a vord maybe 20 time sometimes any sound is coming out!!! his doctor told me that is normal but i have a bad feeling!!! it break my heart to see him like that!!! we just find out that he may have asthma...so he takes the cortisone and the bronchodilatator, the blue paffer, but I don't think that this medication cause to stutter!!!I hope it will go away very soon, even if my husband and i did a lot of research in stuttering , it's very hard for everybody!!! but we don't let him know!!! if anybody went trought all this i will like you advices and opinions!!!
thank you

Old 05-27-2007, 04:14 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

meechieny HB User
Re: stuttering in 33 months old boy

It's hard to answer something like this because yes, it could be no big deal, but on the other hand it could be a red flag for something bigger on the horizon. I always think a mother's instict trumps any doctor and it is something that you should look deeper into.

Stuttering could be a form of a muscular tic? When you say that he gets blocked on what he is trying to say you could say that he is losing his ability to verbally communicate??? Is he having any other problems? Any regression on any skills that he has already mastered?

Good luck to you. I would definately keep a diary on him that you could present to your peds dr. if you feel you really need to push for a evaluation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2007, 05:53 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User

Both of my sisters have sons who stuttered. They are now much older, but it was at the same age. The one only did it for a little bit and the other, at 14, still does. It's not that bad though. Both used to be really bad. I know it's more common for boys.

I remember they were told to slow down and take breath when they started doing it. That helped a great deal. Ask your pediatrian if you should see a speech therapist. A therapist may also give you some other pointers and most of all, reassurance that is it very normal.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

My 4.5 dd is sluttering sometimes, when she was 3 it was much worse. Our doctor said that it is normal, since she is thinking faster than pronounced. Hopefully, he'll outgrow it.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:25 AM   #5
(female)

lilli79 HB User

thank you for all your advices!!!! we called back the pediatrician,she wants to see him again!!! that's a good sign, last time she spent maybe 10 seconds with him!!!I just realized that my son doesn't stutter when he sings or when he talks with pets, but i think this is normal!!!

Old 05-28-2007, 12:27 PM   #6
(male)

html HB User

Stuttering is actually VERY common in this age group and almost always passes quickly. Try not to make a big deal out of it. I understand that it worries you - it did me, too, when my son was that age - but it did pass.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Hi, my son started to stutter at age 3 (he'll be 5 next month) it was like overnight. He was an early advanced talker, I could have whole conversations with him at dinner before he was 2 so when this happened I also was terrified and it was hearbreaking to watch because he was fully aware and would ask me to help him talk. It would get so bad that his facial muscles would contort and twitch, he would clench his fists and just get so frustrated. I called his doctor who told me to not bring attention to it but to wait patiently for him to get the words out. For us this was not great advice because he was way too aware of it, when I told her that she said if he asks for help tell him to try to sing the words instead or take a deep breath and just go slower. We tried all of it and instead he decided it was easier to just not talk,this was scarier than the stuttering but I have a very stubborn little boy so this may not happen to everyone. Well thank God it only lasted about 3 weeks and it was all over. One day he just stopped. Is your family going through a stressfull time? Our doctor said that can do it, and we sure were! I just had surgery on my shoulder,and right before that we got him out of his crib because I wouldn't be able to lift him in and out( I know kinda late but he loved his crib and never tried to climb out) also potty training and a new preschool! The poor kid. You can imagine the guilt I felt since this was all done rather quickly because I had to have surgery. Oh also started to talk about moving and looking at houses! Sometimes you just don't realize the stress they can feel and the things they can understand at such a young age. A year later his grandfather passed away and we moved and guess what? The stuttering started again only this time it wasn't nearly as bad and was gone in about a week. Hope this helps to ease your mind, His doctor and teacher at the time told us that although the things we were going through were somewhat big changes for him, they don't have to be so dramatic and obvious so it could be something much smaller. We were also told that at that age their minds are going much faster than their mouths can and it happens alot even without the added stress.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:56 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Viktorria HB User

My son went through that phase too. We were really freaked out, but after about two months it went away completely. Hang in there!

Old 06-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #9
(female)

lilli79 HB User

we started to see a speech therapist, she was very useful, now we know how to speak and play with him without ask too many questions,,he is already doing better!!!! now i finally sleep trough the night!!!we are going to see her again next week, to make sure he is fine, she told me that she see kids start to stutter suddenly all the time!!!then just goes away..the think faster than they can speak!!!

Old 06-09-2007, 08:49 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

Both of our boys had this same issue starting when they too were about three. Our ped was not concerned at all. I teach kindergarten and the speech therapist at our school told me that if the child is saying the entire word over and over, it is an indication that the brain is just working faster than they can speak, but if they prounouce a sound or syllable over and over, it can indicate a deeper, more complicated speech problem. It sounds like your little one is in the first group so you probably don't need to worry. It is painful to watch them go through this, but they tend to outgrow it in six months to a year. I have asked both of our boys, who are now 20 and 17, if they remember and neither does, so that is a good sign for you too.

Nancy

Closed Thread