It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Speech & Language Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2007, 09:05 PM   #1
(female)

vsmom HB User
3 year old stuttering

Anyone have any expertise in this area? She has been stuttering for about 6 months now. It comes and goes. Some sentences are so painful to watch her get out and other sentences (rather long ones) come out perfectly smooth. I had her evaluated and he said that he did hear it but didn't think it was bad enough for therapy. She is going to start preschool after the new year and my heart will break if she gets teased.
Anyone have any miracles? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2007, 10:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: 3 year old stuttering

The child is pretty young and her speech may change but to save yourself worry why not get a second opinion..I would.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2007, 07:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User

Both my 2 1/2 and 4 year old stutter. They have so many thoughts in their heads and they are trying to get all the thoughts out. I wouldn't worry about it at this point. Tell her to slow down and start again.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User

Yup, my sister was 3 when she was stuttering as well....we had to tell her to just slow down, and she would be fine. I TOTALLY agree with the above poster! She will have this resolved soon. School will really help too, AND if she doesn't smooth out, you can have her take speech therapy in school. At this age, I would be really surprised at teasing for this as well. Don't worry though, she will most likely grow out of it!

Old 12-05-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
(female)

vsmom HB User

Thanks. Her vocab is amazing. Her sentences are very long and she understands everything you say. I think since everyones used to it no one makes a big deal of it anymore so she doesn't stress over it which is good. Im really hoping school will help. The speech therapist told me to really work on slowing my speech down and hopefully she will begin to model. I'm a fast talker so its hard.
Aelliot, do you know why it comes and goes??? Is it a mental/anxiety thing??

Old 12-05-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

my daughter (almost 4) is the same way! i think she just has so much to say, she can't get it out fast enough, so she trips all over her words! i tell her to take a deep breath, and a "brain step" backwards and think about what she wants to say before she starts to say it. when she stops and thinks about what she wants to say, it slows her down enough to focus on the words she is saying and she speaks crystal clear!

Old 12-05-2007, 07:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User

It happens to my 4 year old more than my younger one at the moment. Tonight actually, while reading them a bedtime story, he kept asking questions. He got stuck on a sentence and I had to tell him to take a second and think about what he wanted to say. My son LOVES to ask questions and tried to get it all out at once. I think it is just a case of trying to ask everything all at once. He'll have about 5 questions, and try and ask them all in one sentence! It happens mostly when I can tell he's got a lot going on in his head. He doesn't want to take the time to slow down.

Closed Thread