It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Speech & Language Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010, 07:23 AM   #1
(male)

mjmaginn HB User
Question Stammer Control and Biological explanation

Hi, I'm posting regarding a language disorder that has affected and inhibited me from a young age. I have a moderate stammer that I theorise, after personal experiment, is directly affected by amount of sleep, specifically a lack of sleep.

I have noticed that, if I receive less than 8 hours sleep per night, my quality of speech the next day is very poor. I have also noticed that it is not consistent for, if I receive good sleep for approximately 3/4 nights, my speech is fluent and the effect lasts for a few days afterwards too!

The language problem began when I was performing in a primary school play, the leading role, when, during auditions, I suddenly could not speak. This childhood experience has blighted my life ever since, and, considering that I enjoy public speaking and am a confident orator, has severe consequences on my day-to-day life.

I am looking for a biological explanation of the link between sleep and my stammer and, although difficult, help and ideas for dealing with my affliction. After many years of speech therapy with little consistent success, I realise and understand that there isn't such a thing as a treatment or miracle cure. However, I would like advice on how to control my affliction.

Thanks,

Matthew Maginn

Old 12-28-2010, 03:10 AM   #2
(male)

jimparter HB User
Re: Stammer Control and Biological explanation

I have been suffering same problem for 20 years.My hole life has gone in frustration if you have any technique for this improvement this then please tell me.I will tell thanks to you from open heart.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
(female)

CinCT HB User
Re: Stammer Control and Biological explanation

Matthew - Stuttering manifests itself differently for everyone, and it is very possible that a lack of sleep affects your fluency. Speech is a very complicated motor act, and like any other motor act, a lack of sleep can affect performance. If you know this is the case, I'm afraid the only thing you can do is make sure to get the appropriate amount of sleep whenever possible.

You said that you had received several years of speech therapy with no real benefit. There are many elements that affect the outcome of stuttering therapy. I have several questions for you:
1. How old were you when the stuttering began?
2. How old were you when you first started receiving speech therapy?
3. Did you receive therapy consistently, or was it off and on?
4. What approach did your SLP take? Did she/he use a specific program? Was there any counseling regarding the emotional aspects of stuttering?

With this information, I may be able to help point you in a more positive direction.

Closed Thread