It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Speech & Language Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2011, 05:14 AM   #1
(female)

Verucalise HB User
Question 9 year old with Expressive Language Disorder

After a very long "disagreement" with the school regarding my 9 year old son's speech, I finally had him evaluated privately for his expressive language. He, without a doubt, has an expressive language disorder. (He's struggled with speech since his birth!)

A few questions to anyone out there who has ELD:

1) How has it impacted your ability to make friends in childhood? My son has friends, but opens up to few people because he's afraid they'll notice his speech problems. He's very self aware.

2) Has it impacted your reading/spelling in school? Particularly spelling? He's struggling so much with spelling. He reads fairly well, but to express his thought on paper is a nightmare. Not only is it hard for him to calculate phrases properly to get his point across, but the spelling makes it almost unreadable. I've had to have him interprete it to me

He's going into 4th grade next year. His teacher thinks he has Aspergers- now, I'm putting him thru the testing but i'm 95% positive he does not have Aspergers. Even the beginning testing has shown no autistic traits to him. All his other teachers agree he's awkward socially, but otherwise a very smart, loving, obedient child. I just wanted to see if anyone out there has suffered from ELD and what impacts it's had on social skills for a personal viewpoint.

Thank you all for your responses. I very much appreciate them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
(female)

mommyalli HB User
Re: 9 year old with Expressive Language Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verucalise View Post
After a very long "disagreement" with the school regarding my 9 year old son's speech, I finally had him evaluated privately for his expressive language. He, without a doubt, has an expressive language disorder. (He's struggled with speech since his birth!)

1) How has it impacted your ability to make friends in childhood? My son has friends, but opens up to few people because he's afraid they'll notice his speech problems. He's very self aware.

2) Has it impacted your reading/spelling in school? Particularly spelling? He's struggling so much with spelling. He reads fairly well, but to express his thought on paper is a nightmare. Not only is it hard for him to calculate phrases properly to get his point across, but the spelling makes it almost unreadable. I've had to have him interprete it to me

He's going into 4th grade next year. His teacher thinks he has Aspergers- now, I'm putting him thru the testing but i'm 95% positive he does not have Aspergers. Even the beginning testing has shown no autistic traits to him. All his other teachers agree he's awkward socially, but otherwise a very smart, loving, obedient child. I just wanted to see if anyone out there has suffered from ELD and what impacts it's had on social skills for a personal viewpoint.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
(female)

mommyalli HB User

Have you gone the Dyslexic route? It common for Dyslexic kids to have some of the traits that Autistic kids have, yet not be autistic. I have 4 dyslexic kids, all of them dyslexic in different ways. While my one daughter has some trouble reading and her spelling is horrible, I have another daughter who is dyslexic and can read incredibly well above her level and yet can't spell worth a flip! And she has to translate often what she has written. I also have one Dyslexic kid who has horrible speech also, and has been in speech therapy for three years.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
(female)

Tess123 HB User

My daughter who is now 13 has been diagnosed with apaxia, selective mutism and expressive language disorder. She said her first full sentence at the age of 4. She had several years of private speech therapy which really helped her. The apraxia also affected her fine motor as well as speech. Her writing has improved a lot over the years. She is now quite social with peers at school but shuts down on any kind of psychological evaluations or tests or at new camps or in public. I got her private tutoring for reading because the school would not give her a Resource Teacher for one on one reading and she is in the Life Skills Class with inclusion on classes like science and social studies. The school says she is functionally delayed but her father and I see her intelligence. Her adaptive scores are above average so she is not MR or mentally retarded. In fact she is very charming and well-behaved. I am glad to hear your son reads. I have struggled a lot with the school since they want to label her with autism. You have to advocate for your child. She is beginning to "grow out of" some of her struggles now and I am sure your son will improve with time as well ... Seek outside services.. Hope this helps.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
(female)

sealz HB User

Hello. As a speech-language pathologist I'd like to offer you my professional opinion. First off, it is inappropraite for your sons teacher to say to you that she "thinks he has Asperger's". The best thing for your son is to seek professional help. At home you should work on what his strengths are and gradually weave in his weaknesses. Don't put emphasis or draw attention to mistakes. He is still so young and with my experience the earlier you start intervention the more likely he will learn to live with his deficits, and live a very fullfilling life. I hope this has been helpful.

sheila

Old 01-27-2012, 05:36 AM   #6
(female)

kwoodw HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verucalise View Post

My son is 6 (1st grade) and has both an expressive and receptive language disorder. His kindergarten teacher also thought he had aspergers. He does not. His social skills have been inpacted by his early inability to communicate. He has trouble with interactive play and he has some anxiety issues. We finally have a good support plan at school which includes twice weekly speech and language therapy as wella s once a weel working with the psychologist. We also take him to outside speech and language therapy once a week (for about 4 months now). It is helping. Trust your instincts. The therapy is helping ut it does take a lot of work and a lot of patience. I am thankful we were able to understand the issues early enough. It took a lot of pushing and a lot of investigating.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
(female)

Tess123 HB User

My daughter who is 13 now did not say a complete sentence until age 4. She is very comfortable in middle school -life skill classes with modifiied classes of science and social studies to be with her own aged peers- She is now very social -even gets in trouble for talking! But outside of school she just shuts down. We cannot get an accurate IQ test done because she will not cooperate. Prozac has helped ease her anxiety and has helped her to focus. Early on she had both speech and occupational therapy for her apraxia issues. Though many "experts" have tried to diagnose her I believe she has apraxia, expressive language disorder with developmental delay and selective mutism. She is not autistic because she communicates well when she chooses to, nor mentally retarded because her adaptive scores are too high. "Experts" tell me to expose her to as many social situations as possible. I also play a lot with her myself which can teach social skillls as well. games like Uno. She belongs to a choir group. I am still working on trying to find one best friend for her which I think would be very beneficial for her. It is very hard to know when children are young how they will turn out. Her brother who was dx with selective mutism (though did not have the developmental delay like his sister), was treated with prozac early on in kindergarten- Today he is 21 and an exchange student in Japan teaching very shy Japanese children how to speak english! Enjoy your child. Each child will have something special to give to the world when they grow up. And these children though they progress slowly they do progress...

Old 06-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #8
(female)

actualreality86 HB User

I'm 26 years old and was developmentally delayed. I took 10 and a half years of speech. have Dyslexia and Dyscalicula. How has it affected me? I've gotten through with school, I am in college. I don't let anything stop me from tying to accomplish what I want in life. Speech works wonders. I am slower at reading, and my writing is pretty good. My spelling is sometimes horrible, but I manage to get through the day. I suggest going a 504 route for child. My mother made sure I had a 504 for school and it helped the MOST when it came to needing resource teachers and more attention. To this day while I'm still in college I'm able to have my tests in a different room, extended time, and my needs are met.

Reply Reply