It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Speech & Language Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
(male)

MrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB User
What can my Speech processing problem be?

I put it in another thread but that thread was more about if this is considered a disability.

But here i'd like to explain it and get your opinion as what it might be.

Basically, people talk and for the most part I understand but when it starts getting into theory/or more complicated/ or things like loans, banking, taxes, complicated procedures, work related processes, complex society topics,
I dont' really understand nothing.

I'm 31 though and most people at work my age, did not have any problems with this. They would participate in meetings about Healthcare INsurance and benefits etc. I was just totally lost.

In fact i have a bank account and school loan and car loan and I don't really understand anything about how it works. I've tried to study it but it makes no sense. And the paperwork and forms they give don't help at all...They just make me more confused.

Also,
not just that. My other problem is that sometimes people say something to me and it just passes my mind , I hear it as if people were saying "bla blah blah blah".. it's like garble.. I dont understand anything.

Aside from the not understanding part, i can't participate either cause I can't make sense of it and my brain doesn't formulate goals quickly so i have nothing in my brain.

For example after a meeting They'd ask me "What do you think about we talked about?" Most times i would say "I think...............uhhhh.. it's interesting" the interesting meaning that i didn't understand any of what was said. And also interesting replaces the fact that I have no thought in my mind to discuss anything about it.

When i think about it on my own, and write it down or create mental images slowly and start trying to make sense....i can write something about my opinions and it can start making some sense, If the topic is not a complex one but if it's a complex one such as health insurance etc...then
it makes no sense and i have no words to create any opinion.

For example if you were here with me and asked me about what i think about health insurance and healthcare in america.
All i would say "it's expensive and not many people can afford it and that I've never gotten insurance at work cause i've never been employed."

But other people would start talking about so and so plans and PPO and
health coverage and out of pocket stuff..and copays and deductables

In fact i just got these words (PPO, health coverage, out of pocket, copays, deductables) from an interenet article right now.. But those things never come to mind when I'm with an actual person talking. and i also don't understand them. I get confused about usage and even though i heard those words alot,, they never stick in my brain.
Since this affects me in getting Jobs.........is there anything I can do OR what?I mean, I already went through college and school and I studied about these normal adult topics that I dont' understand and stil I have no clue how to discuss them and the words and concepts still don't make sense. And also is this considered a disability since it's actually disabling me from geting jobs?

Help i don't know what to do. The Speech therapist offered an assesment, but they're expensive. should i do it?

PS.
I also never remember and can never pull out Idioms and expressions and slang etc even though i keep hearing them in tv and in real life and people always use those things easily. I really don't understand why i can't remember nothing.

PS
Also because of this problem with processing and trouble with creating thoughts about what i hear .. My speech when i do have it is slow or very broken. Because i may have an idea but it's very short.. then i have to wait more till i get some more ideas.

FOr example "I think.......(8 seconds wait)....that in the majority of places uhhhhhhh.........(10 seconds wait)....people don't really (pause) have as much food as we have here in the USA.( Now here after , people with normal speaking could formulate more opinions and thoughts and dig in deeeper(why's and how's) BuT for me....that's the end of my though and it just ends there ). My mind goes blank.

Then i just remain quiet and nod and wait for the other person to say something. Then if they ask me "Why do you....?"
Then i say things like "interesting" or "I don't know"
and that's it. I don't have ideas in my brain quickly.

For example at work, they gave me a tour of the whole buliding and it was interesting with technologies etc. Then at the end she asked me "What do you think?" and all i could say was "Interesting" ...I struggled to come up with anything. nothing comes.

and is not shyness because even with my sisters who i'm not at all shy with, i can't come up with anythign and i remain saying "uhhhhhh" uhhhhhh.. trying to come up with topics.

Last edited by MrDister78; 08-13-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: What can my Speech processing problem be?

I don't have direct experience in this area at all, but you might try researching "Central Auditory Processing Disorder". There is information out there on adults with CAPD. It sounds like maybe your symptoms fit.

Good luck finding your answers,
MountainReader

Old 08-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
(male)

MrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB User
Re: What can my Speech processing problem be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
I don't have direct experience in this area at all, but you might try researching "Central Auditory Processing Disorder". There is information out there on adults with CAPD. It sounds like maybe your symptoms fit.

Good luck finding your answers,
MountainReader
Thank you very much MountainReader.

I did read things about Auditory processing but for some reason all of the articles about Learning Disablities, and Processing and all that...talk about kids having it done or kids getting tested.

It never talks about adults who have it. That kind of sucks.
Well i'm going to ask the Speech therapist , later on when i have money, to do a full assesment

Closed Thread