It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Speech & Language Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
(female)

southl HB User
Recent speech problems

I've looked through some of the threads and haven't come across this so if anyone can provide some insight, it would be really appreciated.
In the last couple of years, I (and others) have noticed that I have difficulties talking - about anything. The words don't come to me. It's like I have to try really hard to find the words I want to say. There are long pauses between words while I'm talking and sometimes I start a sentence, stop, and I have a difficult time continuing. I can't tell you how many times I say "now, where are my words?" in the middle of talking. I know what I want to say - I just have a difficult time getting the actual words out of my mouth. Short phrases are fine. It's when I have to say more than one sentence at a time. I do this with anyone from strangers to acquaintances and people in authority such as my boss. No difference with close family including my husband, daughter, sisters. Could this be a sign of Alzheimer's, dementia, menopause, getting older, a brain injury ...? I am a 50-year-old woman. Because these difficulties have been subtle over the last couple of years, I have not seen a doctor about it. It's now becoming a problem that I think warrants a visit to the doctor but with a new doctor taking over my newly retired doctor's practice, I hesitate to go as this new doctor would not know me for what I used to be - a very talkative person who didn't have these issues.

Any help would be appreciated.
Lucie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: Recent speech problems

Lucie, sorry about this, was wondering, I imagine with your age you are going thru menopause? I know this can have some effect on us. Also, by any change are you taking any nerve pain medications such as lyrica, neurontin, topomax? I take topomax and it causes this to happen from time to time. I take it for my back and migraines but it helps so much I put up w/ the side effects. cj

Old 07-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
(female)

southl HB User

Thanks CJ for the quick reply.

Menopause, yes. Hot flashes have been bad in the last 7 months since I stopped my period in December. Then I got my period last month. I've had other issues that I won't go into here. So, yes, you can say I'm menopausal right now. If it is the cause, good, because at least it's not something that has serious consequences such as Alzheimer's. On the other hand, if it is because of menopause, well, "crap". I mean, I guess it isn't enough to deal with all the other issues when it comes to menopause.

Nerve pain medications, no. I have had issues with tendonitis in my hand and I've taken Celebrex but that was a couple of years ago. Hopefully, that didn't cause it.

I've been taking blood pressure medication for 10 years but I doubt that it would cause such problems.

Thanks for the info. If there's any suggestions on what I could do to help me with speech such as health food or vitamins that would help with this, I'd welcome all opinions.

Lucie

Old 11-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
(female)

susan923 HB User

Hi there, I am half your age and I suffer from the same thing. I have had this problem for...Wow. bout 8 years now. I get so tongue tied. I speak unclear and rarely make sense. How long have you noticed this for, and has it improved?

Reply Reply

Tags
difficulty, mind, talking