HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Spinal Cord Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/spinal-cord-disorders/)
-   -   Pars Defect-Birth Defect (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/spinal-cord-disorders/133332-pars-defect-birth-defect.html)

leona_oni 12-09-2003 08:19 PM

Pars Defect-Birth Defect

Hello,

I was in a car accident on Dec. 6 2003 and got whiplash and they took x-rays and discovered that I have pars defect in c-6 which is in my neck. All the doctor told me was that it is something that i have had since birth. All the posts i have read are related to accidents that caused the defect. I have had neck pain my whole life since I was a young child. I am now 21 and a college student and am wondering if anyone knows about pars defect as a birth defect. What would cause this to happen in my development before birth. I have no idea what pars defect really is. I am just interested in finding out more information about what is a new found birth defect that I have. If this is something that could be cause my accidents I had an injury in the 3rd grade that caused my spine to compact and to continue to grow crooked, and then this car accident which gave me whiplash as well as being a boxer for 3 years in my teenage years. But I started complaining about neck pain as a young kid (age 5) and in boxing it caused even more pain so i quit. Please let me know if anyone has any information about pars defect as a birth defect. Thank You.

Medic8ed 12-17-2003 07:57 PM

Re: Pars Defect-Birth Defect

[QUOTE=leona_oni]Hello,

I was in a car accident on Dec. 6 2003 and got whiplash and they took x-rays and discovered that I have pars defect in c-6 which is in my neck. All the doctor told me was that it is something that i have had since birth. All the posts i have read are related to accidents that caused the defect. I have had neck pain my whole life since I was a young child. I am now 21 and a college student and am wondering if anyone knows about pars defect as a birth defect. What would cause this to happen in my development before birth. I have no idea what pars defect really is. I am just interested in finding out more information about what is a new found birth defect that I have. If this is something that could be cause my accidents I had an injury in the 3rd grade that caused my spine to compact and to continue to grow crooked, and then this car accident which gave me whiplash as well as being a boxer for 3 years in my teenage years. But I started complaining about neck pain as a young kid (age 5) and in boxing it caused even more pain so i quit. Please let me know if anyone has any information about pars defect as a birth defect. Thank You.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Plum][FONT=Verdana]Hi there, I have been reading about pars defects a lot lately, as I have been diagnosed with one after having back pain for over 2 years. I have read that it more commonly occurs in L5, which is where I have mine. And yes it could be congenital, but a lot of kids get them too, especially if they are involved in sports that require a lot of repetitive movements, or hyperextension (like gymnastics or weight lifting). It could be congenital because when the cells are dividing after conception, the spine may just not have been fully formed in that area. Having a pars defect is not really a big deal unless it causes pain. "Pars" simply means "bridge" in latin. A pars defect is basically a fracture between the upper and lower part of the facet, the things that look like little "wings" on the back of each vertebrae. This fracture, I was told, is not like a fracture in a traditional sense, but more like silly putty that has been stretched to its breaking point. Spondylolysis (pars defect) can lead to something called Spondylolisthesis, which is slippage of one of the vertebrae over top of the other, which can impinge on the nerve. There are varying degrees of spondylolisthesis, and depending on the severity, several different methods of treatment are prescribed (from bed rest and antiinflammatories to spinal fusion surgery). Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. I am no expert, this is something I have just done research on and been told by my doctors. Take care!

Christina42503 08-12-2004 11:00 PM

Re: Pars Defect-Birth Defect

Hello. Well, I'm 21 and also a college student. I was diagnosed as having a Pars defect and also partial spina bifida in L5. I never had pain until I was about 13 and I had a sledding accident and was in a lot of pain so they took radiographs of my back and found out about these defects which I was told were birth defects which until then I had never had any problems with. Since then I've done a lot of research on both. After my sleddin accident I had a pinched nerve and underwent a lot of physical therapy which helped a lot but after that I've always had problems with having severe back pain from simple things like sitting too long, bending over, or simply sleeping on my stomach. Since too much pressure on my L5 can cause Spondylolisthesis which can require surgery I go to physical therapy once a week to prevent further damage. I have to admit that I am a little relieved to know there are other people like me since I have never met anyone with this same problem. Well, if anyone konws af any good techniques to help with the pain please let me know. I'd appreciate it. :-) Thanks.