HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Spinal Cord Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/spinal-cord-disorders/)
-   -   Looking for someone with the same experience (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/spinal-cord-disorders/137947-looking-someone-same-experience.html)

TracyUK 12-29-2003 07:23 PM

Looking for someone with the same experience

Hello to all out there,

I'm up again with back pain in the neck and between the shoulders - nothing new there. I came across this site tonight in my search to find someone who's symptoms resemble/match mine.

My problem is that my first encounter with back pain was as I was walking up some stairs I suddenly had a terrible pain mid back sort of between the shoulder blades perhaps a little lower that then travelled from the point of origin in my back along each single rib, the sensation was electrical like and fealt as though someone was crushing all my ribs and my breath was being taken away. I managed to climb the rest of the stairs struggling a little for air, heart was really thumping too like I had just run a marathon the pain subsided almost as soon as it had come I estimate coundn't have lasted more than a couple of minutes, I rested for a while but ever since my back has been tender and achey and the pain is almost a daily occurence. The crushing sensation has not happened again but I do get chest and back pain.

I thought I had actually had a very minor heart attack but all my cardiac tests show that I do not have any heart disease. The cardio work up included everything under the sun all they found was a common arrhythmia that most people have. But an MRI of my spine showed two problem areas in my neck at c5-6 and c6-7 and I also get arm pains numbness in my hands and generally pins and needles and electrical sensations in my arms too.

No matter how hard I try to find someone in a similar situation or indeed any information on thoracic disc and rib pain I always end up with hundreds of returned pages for Heart problems not back problems. I have read a number of posts and seem to share some of the common problems but still not met anyone with a back pain at onset or recurring problem like this that is between the shoulder blades that is not heart related.

I would be interested to hear from anyone with useful links info or even a similar experience.

I hope everyone has had a great Christmas and as pain free as they can be. I am due surgery sometime this year to correct the discs in my cervical spine with an ACDF c5-6 and clipping of the disc at c6-7. So to all who are recovering. I hope the surgery is very succesful and you lead a pain free life from now on. To all those waiting good luck and heres to a better life. Happy New Year All.

Best wishes. Tracy.

Rolex 12-29-2003 07:47 PM

Re: Looking for someone with the same experience

Tracy, you have come to the right place. I have herniated disc
level C5-6 and bone spurs. After reading here for a few months
I am scared to have surgery, as it sometimes does not take
care of the problem. I am just waiting to decide what to do
I also have to have an alergy test to test for alergies to titanium.
I have a lot of alergies.
Good luck and keep us updated on your progress...

wastefulltick 12-30-2003 10:18 AM

hi tracy
i to have disc problems c34c56c67 bulging disc and spurs emg showed nerve pinched i suffer daily with pain in my neck,lt shoulder and arm with tingling and numbness in finger tips i cancelled surgery for fusion twice heard to many horror stories and my dr got arestted 5 patients claim he fondled them and i was switched to his partner who seemed very cold and i was not comfortable with him so i now am on pain management 2 years now which makes pain more tolerable and i am able to work as well current meds 15mg roxicodone 4 x day and 5 mgs roxicet for breakthrough pain sorry for the long post fellow paniac bob

sadieho 12-30-2003 11:21 AM

Sounds like you & I have the same pain!!! I am at a loss of what to do. I am so confussed with the options offered. I tried physical therapy in 1994 prior to fusion & it made things worse--- now the md wants me to go that route again - I can't take any type of pain medications, muscle relaxer flexeril is about all I can handle. Has any one had good results using a TENS unit? As you may be able to tell by my post I am disgusted & don't know what to do or where to go. I have been working since an accident in early december, now I don't think I can handle working with this pain & the numbness is getting worse in my right arm & hand. I just had to vent--- my boss has suggested disability-- heck I am only 52, doubt that I could qualify for social security disability--- don't have years to waste dealing with that. I JUST NEED HELP DEALING WITH THE PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sadie

Ramsfan 12-30-2003 03:43 PM

Tracy,
In 1994 I had similar symptoms of "electrical like" sensations that radiated down my spine and down both arms. It primarily happened if I looked up suddenly or if I walked down stairs to fast. After several doctor visits an MRI showed disc ruptures c3 thru c5. I had surgery to remove the ruptured discs and fuse c3,4 and 5 together. The symptoms were gone immediately after surgery.

Frank :cool:

TracyUK 01-02-2004 02:56 AM

A BIG Thankyou to all who have replied,

Its been a bad couple of days practically spent most of the time in bed and not near the PC at all. I have also spent a large part of this morning looking at a LOT of posts on here and the back part of this board and there seems to be a very large proportion of people with cervical injuries sort of c5-6 and c6-7. I see that there is a mixed reaction to the surgery option but for me there is no option I just cannot put up with the pain and most of all the limitations that it brings.

After assessing the risks and the benefits I can't wait for my surgery. To be more exact I can't wait for the days after the surgery :)

I notice that no one else has experienced the crushing pain around the ribs that I thought was a heart attack but have been told wasn't but NOT told what it was.

I have been a bit more succesful with searches and have found that a lot of the cervical nerves and thoracic nerves have afferent fibres that affect the heart and refer pain a lot into the back and vice versa so who knows for sure !!!!

I have also been reading about the Bryan disc too and that sounds very interesting but I very much doubt that over here in England I will be able to find someone that performs such an operation. Oh well Good luck to those that can!

I will let everyone know when I get a date for my surgery and keep everybody updated especially if I have a positive outcome.

To all a Happy New Year and lets hope its a pain free one.

Tracy.