It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2003, 10:27 AM   #1

sadieho HB User
Question Social Security Disability questions

The boss just informed me that I should be thinking about SS disability-- I am 52, had to take time off because of the pain, numbness in right side along with constant head ache & other aches & pains. I just needed some time off - now I don't have a job! I don't know anything about disability, just don't think I would qualify. I am becoming a whiney old woman! Any suggestions??? any one????
Sadie Holland

Old 12-30-2003, 11:00 AM   #2
(male)

SalukiDawg HB User
Re: Social Security Disability questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadieho
The boss just informed me that I should be thinking about SS disability-- I am 52, had to take time off because of the pain, numbness in right side along with constant head ache & other aches & pains. I just needed some time off - now I don't have a job! I don't know anything about disability, just don't think I would qualify. I am becoming a whiney old woman! Any suggestions??? any one????
Sadie Holland
Go to [url]http://www.ssa.gov/disability.html[/url], which will give you basic information on what to do. If you do this process, don't be surprised if you are rejected. Approximately 40% of the claims are rejected the first time. If you keep appealing your chances improve, but it takes time and it is a good idea to have an attorney.

My mother was on SS disability as the result of arthritis in her cervical spine. She was 58 when she started receiving SS disability benefits back in 1981.

She had arthritis in here C5-C7 vertebrae which resulted in pinched nerve roots leading to her left arm causing pain, numbness and weakness. I don't know if she had cervical spinal stenosis or not.

As I recall, she started the application for SS disability in 1979. The first application she was rejected. She appealed, and was rejected again. She had to finally had to go in front of a federal administrative law judge who accepted the disability claim. She then received two years of back benefits from the date she originally applied. I also got some money too, since I was a dependent child, which I used to pay for college for the first year.

Now that I am in my 40's, I'm having similar problems to what my mother had. Fortunately, I have short-term and long-term disability insurance through my work as a part of my benefits package, and there is surgery available now which can correct the problem, which back in the 70's was not available. I sure don't want to go through what my mother had to go through to get SS disability.

Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2004, 09:07 PM   #3

magtize HB User

sadieho
I to have spinal stenosis and applied for ssd which took me 3 months to get after I filled out papers.Got with no problems.I am 56 and had 3rd surgery in Sept.Don't visit here much as I am doing great now but recieved plenty of encouragement and great info here.Good luck to you and if it were me I would get started right away with SSD because when approved you get back pay from the day you applied
c5 Radiculitis Meds.Celebrex200mg 1 a day Lexapro 10mg 1 day Neurontin 300 4xs day apap/codine 300mg as needed oxycod/apap 500mg as needed neurontin 300mg 2 xs a day.
ACDF C 4-5 on 9-2-03 titaium plate 4 screws

Old 01-13-2004, 05:56 PM   #4

fun5oh HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadieho
Sadie Holland
Did you volunteer to take time off work? DId you get let go because of your pain? Was a DR. treating you while you were gone from your job?

Sorry for so many questions, but I am alittle confused as to why your employer is telling you to look at taking SS disability? Also do you live in the states?

Trying to help,
Robin

Last edited by fun5oh; 01-13-2004 at 05:57 PM.

Old 01-19-2004, 05:07 AM   #5

wife HB User

Hello friend,
If I were you, I would get a lawyer. A Social Security one. Listen to him/her and do everything they say.
I know that it is not impossible for a younger person to receive their beneifts because my dear husband who was nearly killed on his job three years ago is only 45 and he gets his SSD. He had to go to court, but with all of his medical records and lawyer, he won his case.
The poor man will never be able to work again.
He can only sit a few minutes, lay a few minutes, etc.
He finally has surgery this week and I pray he can be releived of some of his pain.
It takes years in most cases, so start now. The time is going to go by anyway, so start now and you may get results sooner than you think.
Fraudulant claims make it so hard for the truly injured person to get their benefits.
I have learned how things work for the most part after witnessing for three years the trials we had to go through to get anything.
I am not as naive as I once was. There are some truly cruel people out there who don't give a flip about the injured person, so keep your head up and try not to let those people bother you.
I wish you well.

Old 01-20-2004, 04:11 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

NYFUSED HB User

HI,
What exactly are your findings for disability? MRI, CAT SCAN ETC... results??? The SS requirements are listed in their book which you can request.
I applied after my ACDF C5-6-7 which was a failure and was denied. Since that I have had a posterior lami-foraminotomy c6-7 and now I am scheduled for a revision acdf c5-6-7 and a NEW acdf c4-5 with possible c3-4 involved.
You have to be almost dying to get approved on the spot. My cousin had terminal cancer and was denied and had to get a lawyer. I have gone the same route. It has been 10 months and I still have not gotten an appeal date. I wish you luck.

Lori

Laminectomy L4-5 2001
acdf c5-6-7 2002
post. lami-foraminotomy c6-7
staph infection 7/4-/7/9/2003

2.25.2004 revision acdf c5-6-7 for non-fusion, a new acdf c4-5 for herniated disc causing severe stenosis. c3-4 now has developmental stenosis. neurogenic bladder, cervical radiculopathy c5-6-7 and L3-4-5, S1. carpal tunnel syndrome both hands

Old 08-12-2004, 09:20 PM   #7

dodgelady7 HB User

I am going thru the nightmare of ssd. What I have learned is that it is all about the physicians writing the right things in your records number one. Second when you apply they will send you these absolutely insane question forms to answer. If you do not answer them appropriately for them they reject you. I found several helpful manuels and information on filling out ss forms online. An attorney in georgia offers information I wished I had before I ever filed a claim. I would ask your employer if they would provide you a written statement about telling you need to go on disability. It is up to you to prove your case with ssd. I am not a social person so I do not have any kind of support from friends or social circles. I knew of one lady who was helped in obtaining it thru her church affiliation. I obtained an attorney and we will go before a judge. But it has taken me two years to find a physician willing to fill out forms correctly and is not afraid of dealing with it. I had two physicians tell me straight to my face the best I could do is apply for disability howver when I was rejected and then got my records one made no notation of it at all and the other said I couldn't get a job. That's when I went to the attorney. He explained not all physicians will deal with it although they may tell you that you qualify for it. So get your records before you apply and understand what they are wanting from you to begin with in other words speak ss language to them and properly prepare before applying request the forms don't let them ask you over the phone it provides them evidence to reject you. I hope you have a good family support system for financial help during this. I thank God for my brother standing by me thru all this. Best wishes!

Old 08-14-2004, 06:00 PM   #8
(female)

Alagal HB User

Also get your state Representative involved. That is what he is there for to help his constituants.
We actually heard of my husband's approval from our Representative before the SS. They can red flag your application.
Deb

Closed Thread