It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2004, 09:35 PM   #1

irish34 HB User
Donor Bone or Own?

My surgery is scheduled for Jan 26th and spoke with my NS today regarding using my own bone rather than a donors. I would like to know others thoughts on this. Which way should I go?!?

Old 01-13-2004, 11:45 PM   #2
(female)

lexie3131 HB User
Re: Donor Bone or Own?

I've chosen to go with donor bone. I chose this because I was told the work they do to get your own bone at the hip will cause more pain than the ACDF. Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2004, 05:23 AM   #3

sleepygal HB User

I would choose my own bone, I had surgery in 1993 with my bone and healed up quick the hip was sore for a few days however I got better quicker, This time around I was given no choice and had to use a donor and I am still in so much pain I had the surgery in November. Nurse Practioner saids they have good outcomes with the donor bones however I do not believe it. I talked to Xray doctor the other day and he told me he has seen more cases where the patients who use donor bone don't heal fast. I was told yesterday by my Nurse Practioner that it can take up to two years to get rid of pain. Good luck with the surgery.
Barbara

Old 01-14-2004, 05:41 AM   #4
(male)

Ramsfan HB User

I had 3 surgeries in 9 years and went with my own bone all 3 times. My surgeon said the fusion works quicker with your own, plus I like the idea of knowing where the bone came from. The hip pain varies depending on the surgeon performing the surgery. My last surgery on Dec. 19 I barely noticed the hip. It feels more like a slight muscle pull. The worst part for me was the scar itching as it heals. A little bit of Benedril cream takes care of that.
Frank

Old 01-14-2004, 07:09 AM   #5

marhall57 HB User

My NS uses donor bone. He doesn't recommend using your own bone because of the pain involved in harvesting it. He said most of the problems with recovery from fusion are at bone-harvesting site. Since I had donor bone, I proved him right, because I have not had any pain at all.

Old 01-14-2004, 10:31 AM   #6

DonnaKay HB User

I've had it done both ways. Didn't have a problem either way. I didn't have the problems others talk about with using your own bone. I did have a lot easier time with the donor bone, it fused better than my own bone. I think the reason is that I am so much generally healthier now. I don't think it had anything to do with donor vs. own bone. I had the same surgeon both surgeries.

I would go with whatever my surgeon recommends b/c he knows what he is doing. My surgeon suggested the "bank" bone this time. He could have told me to jump out the window to get better and I would have. ;-)

Seriously, I hope you get the answers you are looking for.

Old 01-14-2004, 04:29 PM   #7

irish34 HB User

Thanks to all of you for the great input on donor vs. own. This is proving to be a really tough decision and I seriously don't know which way to go about it. Please continue to leave your recommendations.
Thank You!

Old 01-14-2004, 06:11 PM   #8

srivito HB User

Hi CJ,

When I had my fusion at C 5-7 I used donor bone with no problems. As I understand it, using your own bone is recomended if you smoke (as nicotine impairs bone repair/regrowth). I was also recommended donor bone by another NS that gave me a second opinion. If you are comfortable with your NS, then I say go with the donor bone. If you have reservations, maybe a second opinion is in order. Most insurance companies will cover it and Doc's really do not get bent out of shape over them. It may give you peace of mind.

Best of luck to you on the 26th!

Sue

Old 01-16-2004, 12:47 AM   #9

geoffrey HB User

i used my own bone, and it was painful, but i am happy i used my bone for the surgery.
it is sore after the surgery, and i quickly learned while in the hospital to ask for a walker and it made it so much easier to get up and walk around, i wished i had brought it home with me when i left the hospital.
i still on occasion have some pain on the right side where they took the bone from, but all i have to do is move my body slightly and it goes away.
my orthopaedist said use of my own bone would help the healing and i was all for the safety of using bone from my hip
i wish you the best in your decision, do what you feel will work best for you all around

Old 01-16-2004, 05:01 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I just had a couple of quick thoughts here.I had a fusion using donor bone.My fusion didn't take very well.But after my second surgery to place hardware.It has since taken.My husband had had to have a fusion about ten years ago,they used his own bone for the surgery.I can tell you that he suffered from some rather horrific pain in his hip for a couple months after the surgery but Within two weeks he said that his neck felt great.His prblems with his hip was the main reason that when my NS suggested using donor bone, I jumped at the idea.I also have a good friend who had a cervical fusion about fifteen years ago and just had to have a surgery last year to remove "scar bone"? from his hip.It seems that when the bone started to 'fill in"the area of where the bone came from, it overdid things a little bit.He has been in constant pain ever since his surgey was done way back when.I think that your decision should be based on just what you are willing to live with after surgery.Healing can take much longer when they use your own bone vs donor.And you have another site of pain to deal with other than the surgical site.Good luck to you on your up coming surgery Irish. hope this helps. Marcia

Old 01-16-2004, 12:01 PM   #11

jeffdoh HB User

The less surgical intervention, the better, is my motto. I had ACDF 2 weeks ago with donor bone, and I feel pretty good so far. Why invite even the possibility of more complications by having essentially 2 surgeries...one to remove your hip bone, and one that you actually need?
I tore my ACL 3 years ago, and used my own patellar tendon as my "new" ACL instead of using a donor ligament. Three years later, and my patellar still causes me huge problems. MY ACL is repaied but the damage caused by surgery to harvest my own tendon lingers.
Why subject yourself to this? Not worth it, in my humble opinion.

Old 01-16-2004, 12:09 PM   #12
(female)

loverLife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish34
My surgery is scheduled for Jan 26th and spoke with my NS today regarding using my own bone rather than a donors. I would like to know others thoughts on this. Which way should I go?!?
Use donor bone! You recovery will take much longer if you use your own bone from your hip and a lot more painful. Good luck!

Old 01-16-2004, 12:59 PM   #13

irish34 HB User

My biggest concern is that a donor bone may not fuse like my own bone would or could. I am only 26yo and this surgery is a result of a duty related injury. The way I look at it is I would rather have hip pain then have my cervical spine not fusing properly and future surgeries. Maybe I'm not thinking logically and this is why I have posted the thred. I really don't know what to do. There are so many good and bad points for each and neither seems to outweigh the other substancially. Please contine your opinions and the reasons why or why not. Stories too...I think that's what I need more..not so much which one to choose buy WHY.
Thanks forever to all who have posted on this. I hope that it can help others in this situation.

Old 01-16-2004, 01:54 PM   #14
(female)

loverLife HB User

Irish,

I had a ACDF 5-6 last May. My Nuerosurgeon used donor bone. The reason he did this is because he said donor bone is much more likely to fuse than your own. (Go figure! He is one of the best in the country. I saw in in November months post op and I was almost 80% fused. I have heard numerous people say that using donor us much better. They would have to scrap bone from your own hip, and I have heard that this is MORE PAINFUL and longer to heal than the surgery itself.

Talk to your doctor more about it - this is just my opinion.

Old 01-16-2004, 02:51 PM   #15

DonnaKay HB User

I know I already responded to this, but not sure if I was clear. My first surgery I used my own bone - much longer recovery ... a little more pain but nothing to really complain about. Didn't notice it much ... until I had no pain with the second surgery. Out 8 weeks total. 8 weeks in collar.

But now that I had the surgery with the donor bone, my recovery was a lot faster. Back to work in less than 4 weeks (part time), and doc said my 6 week x-rays looked like 8-12 week x-rays.

If I have to do this a third time before Bryan disc is widely available, I'm going with bank bone again.

JMO

Closed Thread