It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2004, 11:15 AM   #1

sadieho HB User
Unhappy Headache after myelogram

Well I had the lovely myelogram yesterday---never in my wildest dreams did I think the pain would be that bad!!!!! I promise I will die before I will allow any one to do that to me again...... First of all he hit a nerve & almost sent me off the table - with the first "numbing injection" -- when the table was tilted I almost passed out with pain & pressure--- I am sure if anyone else has had this monster of a test they will know what I mean. My NS gave me two valiums to take prior to the test, one two hours prior & the other 1 hour later-- I also took an extra pain pill, just in case & two pain pills after they let me off the table. Normally I can't take pain medication & stay awake, at midnight last night I was wide awake & still in pain--- the headache has eased up now & there is hope of a some sort of sleep tonight. I won't keep on about this test, I just had to vent to someone & the key board doesn't talk back.
Sadie

Last edited by sadieho; 01-24-2004 at 11:16 AM.

Old 01-25-2004, 10:38 AM   #2
Inactive

jodawa50 HB User
Re: Headache after myelogram

Hey Sadie, Its good to vent. My test went like silk. 2 hours after, it started. My memory tells me it was 4 days of demerol every three hours, then three days of T3's, all the while being pounded in the head with a 2lb hammer. I could'nt open my eyes for the first two days. When offered a mylo this time, I graciously declined. Meanwhile did they find anything?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2004, 04:29 PM   #3
(female)

IdahoBlonde HB User

Hey Sadie. I had responded to your previous post and told you about my bad experience. I guess it varies from person to person. But as you can now attest, when its bad its bad!!! I too had tremendous pain when they tilted the table. I hyperventilated and they straightened me back up right away. But I agree with you. Never again unless i'm on deaths door!!!!

Old 01-26-2004, 08:32 PM   #4

tiffanyharrison HB User

I feel for you! my 4 yr old daughter had a headache from it the following morning that landed us in the er the 2nd day for a blood patch,it wasnt an option since they let her dehydrate out and her veins turned to rubber and couldnt get iv in. Their words to me were to drink as much caffiene as possible it helps the pain, also staying flat (DUH @@) and staying really hydrated. they said once your a lil bit dehydrated the pain is really bad. IF your not better in a day or 2 call the dr that ordered the test and ask for a blood patch, they usually stop the headache immediatly.
Tiffany
Emily 4 tethered spinal cord,diastemomyelia,peanut allergy
Catie 2
Andrew1

Old 01-27-2004, 07:06 AM   #5
(female)

IdahoBlonde HB User

I too ended up in the ER getting a blood patch after 4 days of the monster headache. I couldn't take it anymore! Wish I had been told of the option when the procedure was done so I didn't have to suffer like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanyharrison
I feel for you! my 4 yr old daughter had a headache from it the following morning that landed us in the er the 2nd day for a blood patch,it wasnt an option since they let her dehydrate out and her veins turned to rubber and couldnt get iv in. Their words to me were to drink as much caffiene as possible it helps the pain, also staying flat (DUH @@) and staying really hydrated. they said once your a lil bit dehydrated the pain is really bad. IF your not better in a day or 2 call the dr that ordered the test and ask for a blood patch, they usually stop the headache immediatly.
Tiffany
Emily 4 tethered spinal cord,diastemomyelia,peanut allergy
Catie 2
Andrew1

Old 01-29-2004, 07:24 AM   #6

rayjj HB User

Hi there,

I had heard the horror stories, but now for sure I know that I will never have one done. I just had a posterior decompression laminectomy C3-C6 and all I had done was an MRI. I was really praying that the surgeon would not want me to have a myelogram as well. Sometimes your prayers pay off. It's been about 3 weeks now and things are getting better every day other than the fact that my neck is still quite stiff and sore, but tolerable if I rest it from time to time. The numbness in my hands and feet is subsiding but it wll be a few months to a year before I discover what the final result will be. Thanks again for the myelo iinfo.
I hope it was worth it. Good Luck...Ray.

Old 01-29-2004, 12:43 PM   #7

sadieho HB User

My ns informed me that the myelogram shows degenerative disk disease, surgery MAY help the pain & shakes in my right arm. As for the pain in neck, lower back & legs --sorry there is nothing I can do to help you, wish there was. So the pain is here to stay & the nerves will never heal? I am 54 - will I only get worse? My grandbaby weighs 10 lb & I can't pick her up, my 4 yr old grandson says nana is sick , she can't play like she use to. I wonder if this is what they will remember about me. If I sound depressed, it has just hit me when I wrote the above about my grandkids, I am depressed. I need your prayers - please.
sadie

Old 01-29-2004, 03:20 PM   #8
(female)

IdahoBlonde HB User

I completely understand what your going thru. I was told I was not a candidate for surgery so I made a decision to rule the pain and not let the pain rule me. I started a diet and exercise program that includes Pilates and Yoga. I have been at it for over a month now and see improvement everyday. I was taking 2 Norco (hydrocodone) a day for the pain. I have only taken one over the last 5 days. Saw my neurologist today and she went ahead and tentatively released me at my request. I am going to remain diligent with the exercise and I am hoping that I will only get better. Wish me luck! In the meantime, I hope things get better with you. Take your time when deciding whether or not to have surgery. You will be in my prayers.

Closed Thread