It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2004, 02:09 PM   #1
(female)

AKGIRL HB User
Question Multi level cervical laminectomy

I sure appreciate this message board as I live in Alaska and dont have any folks that I know who have had multi level posterior cervical laminectomy (without fusion) I am four months out from surgery..(because of severe congenital stenosis.) I had full laminectomies of C4-6 and partials on C3 and C7. A follow up MRI (taken yesterday) showed full decompression of the cord..all looks fine..but I am left with weird feelings in my legs..hard to describe.. like bubbling feelings. They are worse at night when I lay down. I also experience a shock type feelings down my legs if I tap on the back of my neck...This shocking sensation does not occur unless I lightly press on the back of the neck and there is no pain wtih it...I understand the bone is gone and the cord is vulnerable, and I understood from my doc that I could experience residual tingling and numbness etc..but this electrical feeling is quite disconcerting..anyone else out there experience this? I know the obvious..just dont tap on the back of the neck..but it would help if others could share their experiences with residual difficulties..
thanks...

Last edited by AKGIRL; 03-19-2004 at 02:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2004, 12:13 PM   #2

wilson555 HB User
Re: Multi level cervical laminectomy

Hi AKGIRL,

I go in on monday for a c5-c7 lamenectomy. How was the pain level after surgery and how soon could you begin to funtion "normally"? I'm hoping to be able to get back to working in three weeks and driving sooner than that. I have read that the muscle pain from the surgery is the worst part of recovery. Also, did your preop symptoms go away rather quickly after surgery? I also was concerned about having the cord exposed to any contact on the back of the neck, but I couldn't find a doctor in my health system locally that did the laminoplasty.

Hope you are doing much better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2004, 03:43 PM   #3
(female)

AKGIRL HB User
Re: Multi level cervical laminectomy

sorry to have taken so long to get back to you and I hope your surgery went well. By now you must know that the posterior approach to neck surgery is a tough one to recover from...i am about five months out now and am feeling great..but during the first few months the neck and back spasms were pretty tough to deal with. I resumed work about 6 weeks post op..(mywork includes extensive travel) and i did pretty well..
my neurosurgeon..who is a top notch San Fran doc says he isnt quite sure of the laminoplasty yet...the technique is OK but the materials used are still being perfected...he didnt want to do it on me as I am still young (relatively) and active.
I just returned from seeing him for a post op check up and he said the electric shock response from touching my neck was not usual but that he had seen it before. He is suspecting post op swelling and He took me off of physical therapy for the next four months. Now that I have stopped PT, it seems to have helped.
It took four months for me to stop having the pre op symptoms...which was a little disconcerting..I thought they would disappear right away..but each day now I feel I am still improving...
I hope you are happy to be through with the surgery..Keep a positive outlook..you will feel better with each passing week!
AkGirl

Closed Thread