It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2004, 08:16 PM   #1

canadachik HB User
Cyst in Spinal Cord?

This is driving me crazy! I had an MRI a couple of months ago and recently recieved the MRI report in the mail from the radiologist. The doctor that ordered the MRI died before he could look at it and my family doctor quit his practice. The family doctor ordered a follow up MRI on my last appointment with him but he didn't go over the first MRI with me. He just told me that I should have a follow up MRI to make sure the cyst hadn't changed at all. I had the second MRI yesterday and I haven't gotten the results yet. The radiologist yesterday told me a couple times to make sure I follow this MRI up with a doctor. I'm not sure if that means I"m supposed to worry or if that's just a normal procedure. The problem is that I have no doctor other than an orthopedic surgeon I just started seeing for my shoulder (actually it was while doing MRIs of my neck and shoulder to check out injuries from a car accident that they found this cyst). This is exactly what my first MRI says:

"There is a tiny oval well circumscribed imtramedullary lesion in the spinal cord at the C7-T1 level which I suspect is an incidental finding. It is
unusual in appearance and I am not certain as to the etiology. The appearance is that of a cystic lesion without any enhancement and I wonder if this is a developmental lesion such as a neuroenteric cyst or possibly a small intramedullary epidermoid cyst....A tiny focal syrinx would be a consideration but usually a syrinx is seen over a longer length of the spinal cord. If there has been a history of significant trauma in the past, this could be the sequela of previous spinal cord injury with a focal area of myelomalacia."

Does anyone know what any of that means? If you do I would absolutely love to know! Is this probably from car accident injuries?

Thanks,
Naomi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2004, 08:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Cyst in Spinal Cord?

Your story sounds so very similar to mine in that when i had to have an MRI to determine just where my herniated disc was located, they found,purely by accident that I had what is called, a cavernous hemangioma,inside the spinal cord at the C-7,T-1 level.this could very well be what this is.they are generally congenital which means it has probably been there since day 1,but it didn't cause you any problems so there was never a reason to look inside the cord.Mine was purely accidental in them finding it while they were looking for something else.the biggest symptom i had from this was this horrid gnawing prying type pain under my R shoulderblade that felt like someone was trying to pry off my shoulder blade with a crow bar.You should call the radiologist and ask him if he feels that this could also be what this is.You need to get in to see a good neurosurgeon.I had an angiogram done to determine that this was indeed vascular in nature.They first thought that this was an arteiorvenous malformation(AVM) that would indicate a high pressure vascular lesion.The hemangioma is a venous malformation and therefore is low pressure.some can cause major problems and some will not.But they are known to have small bleeds at times.If this is a hemangioma ,the way the bleeds would be presented would be what is called a "hemosiderin" ring or halo surrounding the lesion.At any rate, a good NS would be your best bet here as the type of doc that would treat this and know the most about it.If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.marcia

Old 07-24-2004, 06:10 PM   #3

canadachik HB User

I took the MRI to the orthopedic surgeon but he told me he doesn't do necks so I'll have to see someone else for this. I am still left wondering about what this cyst is. I was wondering too, if it's something that's been here since day 1 but I'm not sure. I'm not even sure where C7-T1 is lol. I think it's at the base of the neck though right? My family doctor, on my last visit with him, said that the cyst was on my lower back but the MRI report says C7-T1 and I don't think that's lower back. He was very rushed going over everything with me including the MRI so it doesn't surprise me if he'd make a mistake. He has always been very careless. The MRI was of my neck so I don't imagine anything on my lower spine would show up on that!

Old 08-05-2004, 08:46 AM   #4
Inactive

Tracied3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadachik
This is driving me crazy! I had an MRI a couple of months ago and recently recieved the MRI report in the mail from the radiologist. The doctor that ordered the MRI died before he could look at it and my family doctor quit his practice. The family doctor ordered a follow up MRI on my last appointment with him but he didn't go over the first MRI with me. He just told me that I should have a follow up MRI to make sure the cyst hadn't changed at all. I had the second MRI yesterday and I haven't gotten the results yet. The radiologist yesterday told me a couple times to make sure I follow this MRI up with a doctor. I'm not sure if that means I"m supposed to worry or if that's just a normal procedure. The problem is that I have no doctor other than an orthopedic surgeon I just started seeing for my shoulder (actually it was while doing MRIs of my neck and shoulder to check out injuries from a car accident that they found this cyst). This is exactly what my first MRI says:

"There is a tiny oval well circumscribed imtramedullary lesion in the spinal cord at the C7-T1 level which I suspect is an incidental finding. It is
unusual in appearance and I am not certain as to the etiology. The appearance is that of a cystic lesion without any enhancement and I wonder if this is a developmental lesion such as a neuroenteric cyst or possibly a small intramedullary epidermoid cyst....A tiny focal syrinx would be a consideration but usually a syrinx is seen over a longer length of the spinal cord. If there has been a history of significant trauma in the past, this could be the sequela of previous spinal cord injury with a focal area of myelomalacia."

Does anyone know what any of that means? If you do I would absolutely love to know! Is this probably from car accident injuries?

Thanks,
Naomi
I posted to you on another post exactly like this one.
Naomi, if they stated there was SYRINX, then it will not be a herniated disc.....different disorder.
The Syrinx is a cyst in/on the spinal cord. It can come from the following origins:
Trauma (even from 10 years ago)
Tumors (cancer or non cancer)
Ideopathic (unknown)
Congenital (there since birth but never caused problems until injury or other circumstances within the spinal cord such as complications during previous operation)

As for the myelomalacia, that is the structural deformity of the blood vessels to that region. Could have occured due to any of the above conditions listed under syrinx. The clincal term you are seeking more information on is:
syringomyelia and hydrosyringomyelia
Usually associated with Chiari Malformation I....this also occurs without Chiari. So please do not let the websites confuse the two diseases. A syrinx can not cause Chiari (a painful neurological disorder that affects the brain and the spinal cord) but Chiari will cause a syrinx.
A syrinx can cause scoliosis as well as the pressure in the cord causes the spine to adapt around the fluid (as this did with my son). So please have this looked at in more detail. Let me know what happens, please!!!

Old 08-05-2004, 09:12 AM   #5
Inactive

Tracied3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadachik
I took the MRI to the orthopedic surgeon but he told me he doesn't do necks so I'll have to see someone else for this. I am still left wondering about what this cyst is. I was wondering too, if it's something that's been here since day 1 but I'm not sure. I'm not even sure where C7-T1 is lol. I think it's at the base of the neck though right? My family doctor, on my last visit with him, said that the cyst was on my lower back but the MRI report says C7-T1 and I don't think that's lower back. He was very rushed going over everything with me including the MRI so it doesn't surprise me if he'd make a mistake. He has always been very careless. The MRI was of my neck so I don't imagine anything on my lower spine would show up on that!
C7 is the 7th bone in the cervical spine.....it would be located right around the shoulder blades. T-1 is the first in line in the Thoracic spine. My son's was in the T7-T11,rather large....
As to if this was always there, we will never know that. Only an MRI when you were younger would tell you that you were predisposed to a Syrinx.
More than likely, since you have abnormality in the vessel supply to the cyst area and the small cyst itslef, the concern is will the pain worsen, and will the cyst grow. Many times, surgery is not needed. But cysts ont he spinal cord will need to be followed at least every 6 months to a year to make sure it is not growing anymore. The more it grows, the more neurological symptoms you may possess may progress and worsen. Some functions may not ever return. Some Neuros will not do anything till this happens. Some want to take care of it before hand to avoid it getting worse and causing scoliosis. It really depends on how vocal you are about your pain and what your comfort level is.
Just so you know: My son had his surgery for his syrinx on 6/25.
I won't lie, he was in horrible pain that first day. He was walking the second day, by the 4th day we were released from the hospital. After being home, he was sore for a few days but on nothing but Motrin. It has been 1 month and alittle more than a week. He is doing everything better than before. He can now write again, no longer complains of numbness and Pins and needles, can keep his temperature with the rest of us (he use to sweat so bad at night, we would have the ac on 65 and he had a ceiling fan, and two other fans on him just to sleep) and we are hoping his 0-43 degree curve in his spine will relax some. (The scoliosis was what tipped us off to this as he went from 0-43 degrees in less than a year and his curve was left, which usually means SYRINX). We have a repeat MRI 8/23 to make sure the cyst has not come back or relocated int he spine. Hoping for a good outcome!

But I think you are in the right direction.....it would sound to me that this was from the whiplash affect of your accident. I wish you luck!

Last edited by Tracied3; 08-05-2004 at 09:15 AM.

Old 08-24-2004, 12:01 PM   #6

quidam HB User

I have syringomyelia with Arniold Chiari Malformation, the syrinx is also at C7to T1 the best place to get information on spinal syrinx is a website totaly dedicated to just that. [url]www.ASAP.org[/url] It is the American Syringomyelia Alliance Project. New York just opened a center just for this disorder, the Doctors there are well informed on this today. I would recomend this site highly.
quidam

Closed Thread