It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2004, 07:06 PM   #1

Mollyt61 HB User
Unhappy Pain after ACDF

How long does the pain last??? My surgery has been now 2weeks ago, my left shoulder/neck and arm are still hurting like crazy. My shoulder on the fusion side, left, is all swelled up and sleeping is close to be a nightmare unless I take my "Happy-pills" They put me on Lortap, Neurontin and Medrol Pack, that puts anybody too sleep , anybody who has some feedback please respond, I am thinking of checking with my Doc by Monday if it does not improve. I have posted here before about Horner's syndrome, and the good news is, my eye is actually getting better, so there is hope that it will get back to normal,
Thanks for reading, and please give me feedback on the pain and swelling issue, Thanks,
Martina

Old 09-17-2004, 02:27 AM   #2

DonnaKay HB User
Re: Pain after ACDF

Martina -

I'm sorry you are so miserable! It's been almost a year since my last surgery, and I honestly can't remember that pain as being part of it. I do remember, though, that if I did the slightest thing that I wasn't supposed to do I would suffer the consequences. I hope you aren't doing anything to aggravate your surgery.

I remember after my first surgery I did have a lot of pain afterward, but I also had been dealing with pain for years beforehand. I think the longer you have symptoms before surgery, the longer it takes to leave after it is fixed. Hope that makes sense. I remember calling the doctor in tears asking why I am hurting and they asked me what I had been doing. I told them I had been putting pictures in a photo album. They told me that *anything* that I do with my hands will make it hurt. They were right! I remembered that this time around and just sat and did NOTHING. lol

Good luck! (I am happy to hear that your eye is better.)

Donna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2004, 06:40 AM   #3

Mollyt61 HB User

Thanks for the imput, really, I think there is something else going on in my shoulder, my arm seem to be getting worse with each day, but thanks for responding, Martina

Old 09-17-2004, 08:16 AM   #4
Veteran

solardust HB User

What levels did they do ???? At 2 weeks I was still a zombie,afraid to even think I may sneeze,and god forbid I should get a cough,I really mean,I was walking on egg shells.I had surgery Aug 13th,honestly I was beginning to wonder if I was ever gonna feel well again,went on ride with hubby to get new collar like 4 wks into recovery and spent that night in pain and weakness,talk about a set back,trip there was fine,(45 miles) even had a couple beers at a bar and grill,but paid for it in end.Not that you should not bounce it off your Doc, cause he should know,but like Donna said, if nerves have been inflamed for some time the longer it takes to feel well.I was lucky compared to alot of the folks on here,because I had lower back surgery in June, I had a NS, so when my neck went, I only was in unbearable pain for 3 wks,(I can say "only" now, cuz I am out of it,but at the time,it was 3 wks too long!!)and I am still paying the piper if I over do it.And by that , I mean washing a few dishes,sitting to long, standing to long,....try to relax your shoulders and rest,I still catch myself hunching up my shoulders and that in itself causes pain.I hope all is better for you soon keep posting ok, Solar

Old 09-17-2004, 08:24 AM   #5
Inactive

dennisgb HB User

Hi,

I agree with Solar.

At two weeks I felt like I had had major surgery two weeks ago. LOL. Sorry, that probably isn't funny to you. But consider, you had major surgery. This takes time to heal. Besides if your like most of us your body was in pain for a long time before the surgery...

I didn't really start to feel better until about 6 weeks, and that was about 50% of normal. I'm 12 weeks out, and I notice improvement each day.

Take it easy and it will get better each day. If your not seeing improvement, then call your doc. If there is a problem, you want to know.

Last edited by dennisgb; 09-17-2004 at 08:26 AM.

Old 09-17-2004, 03:20 PM   #6

Mollyt61 HB User

Hi everybody, thanks so much for responding so quick, to answer some questions, I had a fusion with plate c5/c6 four years ago and this time plate removal and c6/c7 with a BAK fusion ( that thing looks like a round cylinder something like you put furnitures together,haha) it fuses the vertebrae instantly and there is no need for bone graft, my neck is healing well, but my shoulder is awful, I can't even put a rubberband in my hair without crunching my teeth. That tells me something is going on in the shoulder,well I made a call and my Doc will see me on Monday. Sleeping is a nightmare, sides or back positions seem to aggrevate the shoulder more, and my arm is getting more and more numb again. But I am trying to hang in, I am not a cry baby, but something is not right, Thanks so much for all your support out there, and I hope and wish everyone a quick recovery, keep up posting, Thanks and ((((gentle hugs))) to all of you, Martina

Old 09-17-2004, 04:01 PM   #7
Veteran

solardust HB User

I am sorry Martina,I hope you find relief,maybe there is alot of swelling from the new procedure,and hopefully there will be a quick fix for you,the worse part is not being able to lay down!When you mentioned that it brought the memory of that pain right back,ake care, let us know how it goes for you,gentle hugs back,Solar

Old 09-17-2004, 05:30 PM   #8

Mollyt61 HB User

Thanks solar for the response, I will let you know Monday what is up ok, have a good and hopefully painfree weekend, Martina

Old 09-20-2004, 05:16 PM   #9

Mollyt61 HB User

Hi Solar,
well like i promised, i would let ya know about whats going on with the shoulder, she thinks rotator cuff tear or so , need an MRI now to be more specific on what's up with the shoulder. Well I just hope I don't need another surgery, please pray for me that all goes okay, Thanks for listening or better reading,
Martina

Last edited by Martinat61; 09-21-2004 at 05:14 PM.

Old 09-28-2004, 06:54 PM   #10
(female)

gsouth HB User
Question Re: Pain after ACDF

Hello, I have a question about pain after surgery..I had my ACDF c5/6 c6/7 with plate and donor bone June 30, 2003 and for months I was pain free...Then about 6 months ago I started having bad pain in my neck and up the back of my head..I went to my ns and he said that my pain was from not doing my neck excercises regularly..Does anyone else have to excercise their neck 2 times a day to keep pain free? It hasn't helped that much...

Old 09-28-2004, 07:08 PM   #11
Veteran

solardust HB User

Gee's Molly I am sorry, sounds like they might of been alittle rough on you during surgery, you are in my prayers,no rotor cuff tears!!!!!!!hopefully just bruised up bad,take care,Diana
Gsouth, hi, sorry I can not help ya about the exercise,I have not got that far, but I would think it would flare up the pain at first at least,gosh I hope I dont have any to do once this collar is off,hang in there someone will be able to prolly help ya better then me.Diana

Old 09-29-2004, 11:59 PM   #12

aspen2cody HB User

Molly, I had c5 c6 with donor bone and plate done 2 weeks ago. I have very little pain now. The only thing that bothers me is when I raise my shoulder it hurts like crazy. I dont remember my shoulder hurting like that before surgery because my shoulder muscle hurt so bad. But that pain is gone this is different and when I explained that to the NS on tuesday he said it does sound like a torn rotator cuff. He told me to give it 3 weeks and see how it feels to make sure that the nerve that goes to rotator cuff is not causing it the pain. It wouldnt surprise me if it was torn after 20years of bench pressing and shoulder presses. Let me know what they find out.

Old 09-30-2004, 08:50 PM   #13

Mollyt61 HB User
Unhappy Re: Pain after ACDF

Hello Everybody,
Thanks for the responses, it sure feels good to have friends out there who feel with you, Thanks. Well here is the update, I had the MRI last Friday and met with my Doc today and the response was: " you have a great deal of rotator cuff tendinitis and tendinosis on the distal supraspinatus" Well in plain english the tendons of the shoulder are inflammed and swollen with fluid build up, she showed me the MRI pictures (5 of them just from one shoulder) and showed me how it is pinching in that area, top of arm/shoulder joint, no wonder my left hand is still getting numb and tingles, also received the 2nd cortisone shot into the arm joint and I will need more surgery on the shoulder to fix the rotator cuff and remove bone spures that have build up, , but for now she wants to give me time to heal on the cervical area and wait till I do a little bit better, meanwhile she will treat it with shots and painkiller. Tonight it hurts like someone hit me with a baseball-bat In 3 weeks I am starting with PT, well that should be fun I hope its not going to be too painful. Does anyone had rotator cuff poblems and, or surgery???? Please any info will be greatly appreciated,
Thanks, Martina

Last edited by Mollyt61; 10-01-2004 at 05:35 PM.

Old 10-01-2004, 10:50 PM   #14

Mollyt61 HB User
Unhappy Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollyt61
Hello Everybody,
Thanks for the responses, it sure feels good to have friends out there who feel with you, Thanks. Well here is the update, I had the MRI last Friday and met with my Doc today and the response was: " you have a great deal of rotator cuff tendinitis and tendinosis on the distal supraspinatus" Well in plain english the tendons of the shoulder are inflammed and swollen with fluid build up, she showed me the MRI pictures (5 of them just from one shoulder) and showed me how it is pinching in that area, top of arm/shoulder joint, no wonder my left hand is still getting numb and tingles, also received the 2nd cortisone shot into the arm joint and I will need more surgery on the shoulder to fix the rotator cuff and remove bone spures that have build up, , but for now she wants to give me time to heal on the cervical area and wait till I do a little bit better, meanwhile she will treat it with shots and painkiller. Tonight it hurts like someone hit me with a baseball-bat In 3 weeks I am starting with PT, well that should be fun I hope its not going to be too painful. Does anyone had rotator cuff poblems and, or surgery???? Please any info will be greatly appreciated,
Thanks, Martina

Closed Thread