It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2004, 01:56 PM   #1

canadachik HB User
spinal cyst/syrinx

I posted here a while back about a cyst in my spine. They originaly found it back in April, then the doctor ordered a second MRI which I had in June. It's located at C7-T1. My doctor spent no time discussing it with me because he was quitting his practise just before sending me for the last MRI. So, I had the second MRI in June and have had no doctor to explain it to me. The report I got from the hospital says this:

Quote:
There is a tiny focus of high signal again seen centrally within the cervical cord at C7-T1. This measures 7mms x 3 mms x 2 mms. There is no
enhancement on the post Gadolinium images. The size and appearance of this lesion have not changed significantly since the prior study. The remainder of the cervical cord is unremarkable and unchanged from previous.

IMPRESSION: No change in the non-specific tiny focus of high signal in
the cervical cord at C7-T1. This is unlikely to represent a malignant process, and would be consistent with a tiny focal syrinx or a focus of myelomalacia. Again, a clinical correlation, specifically if any history of trauma in this area would be helpful.
About a month ago my old doctor's office sent me a letter in the mail stating that I need to find a new family doctor within the year to do another follow-up MRI. The problem, which I've mentioned before is that there are NO family doctors in the area accepting patients. If this is a result of trauma I would appreciate knowing because I was in a car accident ( I was diagnosed with a grade II whiplash at the time). That was my reason for having the MRI in the first place.

On top of the neck problems, I also tore the biceps tendon and the labrum in my left shoulder from the force of the airbag (it's called a SLAP tear). I had arthroscopic surgery 3 weeks ago to fix it. The orthopedic surgeon said that if it had been a clean tear he would expect a full recovery or close to it. Because mine was not clean tear (there was a lot of scar tissue) he's not sure how much pain relief I will get from the surgery. He said that the size of the tear didn't necessarily reflect the amount of shoulder pain I've been having (Like I lay awake at night with it paining etc.) I started wondering if I'm going crazy because the pain is definetely real! He read my mind I think because he said "Don't worry, I'm not saying it was in your head it's just that everyone responds differently to pain..."

My question is this: would a cyst in the spine cause pain and/or weakness on one side of the body? The left side of my face, neck and shoulder is by far the worst. On top of the whiplash and shoulder tear, I've also been told I have TMJ. I must sound like I'm falling apart..lol. I'm a little concerned about this cyst though. I know it isn't huge but couldn't anything within the spine, regardless of size, cause complications?

~Naomi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2004, 02:02 PM   #2

lynns HB User
Re: spinal cyst/syrinx

dear canadachik,
im in the same boat and yes it is very real. im also trying to find out the problems and dangers of having a cyst,tumor,spinks(all the same) in my spine. but mine is at the t-11 and t-12. i hope you can get some answers and pray that you will find some relief.

Old 10-11-2004, 01:25 PM   #3

canadachik HB User

Thanks for the reply lynns.

Quote:
im also trying to find out the problems and dangers of having a cyst,tumor,spinks(all the same) in my spine.
Have you found out anything more? I'd love more info !

Old 10-11-2004, 02:19 PM   #4

lynns HB User

no canadachik, i havent found anything but they usally try to decompress the nodule,tumor,cyst,spynx. i do know that it can cause pain depending on the location. mine are or one is in the vertebral body(inside the vertabra) and the other two are near the cord. i was told that they cn burst and can cause great pain, but im still searching and will keep you in touch
michelle

Closed Thread