It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2004, 05:33 PM   #1
(female)

gsouth HB User
neck exercises after ACDF

Hello, I have a question about pain in my neck a year after surgery..I had my ACDF c5/6 c6/7 with plate and donor bone June 30, 2003..I was pain free until about 6 months ago and then I started having pain in my neck and up the back of my head..I went to my ns and he said that I wasn't exercising my neck enough..I do neck exersices 30 minutes a day.. Has anyone else been told to do exercises this long after surgery?

Old 10-03-2004, 03:06 PM   #2
(female)

gsouth HB User
Re: neck exercises after ACDF

I didn't get any replies! Does this mean that no other doctors has ordered exercises after acdf surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2004, 04:21 PM   #3
Veteran

solardust HB User

Its prolly good you reposted,maybe your 1st one got missed, I just had my surgery Aug 13th, so I still have on the collar,but I find it hard to believe that its a lack of exercise causeing problems, since you were pain free,but I am unsure on that,what type of stuff are you supposed to be doing? Maybe ya just over did something and the nerves got worked up, I will be watching posts for this, cuz it is intresting,no one to my knowledge ever mentioned exerciseing.Diana

Old 10-03-2004, 05:03 PM   #4
(male)

wdmoor HB User

I just had my ACDF 9-21 so I'll be interested to see if any one posts too.

Old 10-03-2004, 05:16 PM   #5
(female)

more HB User

I was prescribed PT immediately after the collar came off. The therapist did a lot of muscle strenthening exercises - turn head to left, turn head to right, puch back and chin to chest. We worked up to the point of where I am currently at. Another exercise after a while was the tension push on the head - that is hold one hand to the side of the head and push against the hand by turning your head in the direction of the hand.

After about six months I was again in pain (after moving) and was sent for more PT. This therapist worked more on my core area - indicating a need to strengthen that area to support the upper body. At first I thought she was not equipped to work the neck but this definitely helped with the pain in the neck area.

I continued this PT for approximately one year (one day a week with home exercises) until I moved away. I did find after leaving a very stressful job and starting a new job I did not have the pain unless I overdid it.
Last week I moved a 50 lb. box and was in pain for two days afterwards - still having some discomfort but I started up the PT exercises I learned and this helped a lot. The pain now is at a minimum.

Old 10-03-2004, 05:23 PM   #6
(female)

gsouth HB User

Thanks, I'm so glad that you replied to my post. The exercises that I have to do is to strengthen my neck muscles..Turn my neck to the right 20 times then to my left 20..Hold my head down until I can feel my neck muscles pulling then repeat 10 times plus several more...I might go days without it bothering me and then it hurts so bad that I can hardly stand it..Any ideas? gsouth

Old 10-03-2004, 06:00 PM   #7
(female)

gsouth HB User

Thanks More for the reply..I'm glad the exercises have helped you..I'm going to keep doing mine..I hope it helps me again..

Old 10-03-2004, 07:51 PM   #8

DonnaKay HB User

I was never given any exercises to do, either, so I was interested in the replies.

I wanted to comment on the stress ... I, too, found that stress brings on pain. It's different pain than from prior to surgery, but it's still pretty bad.

Old 10-04-2004, 07:46 AM   #9
Inactive

dennisgb HB User

I am just out of collar, and my docs have me doing isometrics 3 times a day, similar to what was described above.

My neck feels a little weak, with collar off for the whole day it begins to hurt (muscles), and this seems to help.

Old 10-06-2004, 07:22 AM   #10
(female)

CHETNSUE HB User

I am 9 weeks post-op ACDF C5-C6-C7 August 4,2004. I was just ordered to start PT and looking forward to it. I went yesterday for the Con sult and just the little bit that she did I am sore, but I am hoping that it will get better. She gave me 3 exercises to do at home 3x a day. I just started driving a week ago. I want to be able to go back to work also but I can only sit at the puter for maybe 3 hours and I need to be able to sit for 8 hours so I hope that the PT helps me in that aspect also.

Closed Thread