It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2005, 11:58 AM   #1
(female)

Janatee HB UserJanatee HB User
Question After Surgery: Leg Nerve Damage!

Hello to all.. I had a Lumbar Laminectomy Sept. 03. Since then, my left leg is very heavy from the knee down to the foot. It has leg spasms, it freezes up, it feels annoying when the skin is touched. I have bad days and better days. Doc says, this is nerve damage caused from the bone laying on the nerve for a long time, and this " might" regenerate and be better in a few years!!!!!
Does anyone out there have these same symptoms? I would love to hear from you and compare notes....Some days, I just want to sit and do nothing, but I push to walk. Doc said walking is the best thing for this! I walk a lot now with a cane for balance.... Any thoughts or advice will be much apprecitated.. Thanks to all. Janatee

Old 01-31-2005, 04:34 AM   #2
(female)

bellsudev HB User
Re: After Surgery: Leg Nerve Damage!

I had a laminectomy a long time ago, my left leg on the outside of the calf was numb after surgery and acrossed the top of my foot, the surgeon I had said that there was a lot of damage and that I would always have some pain he was right, from then on the numbness never went away, although you get use to it, it can be annoying, and I periodically had spasms when I layed a certain way, it would hit a nerve and I was up in a flash, learned to sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees and things were usually fine. Hope this helps you out a little.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2005, 06:18 PM   #3
(female)

Bellsudve. Thank you for your reply. I was wondering if you did experience the feeling of heavyness in the numb leg?? I have a bad time getting up in the morning or anytime after I have laid down. I have that awful cramping and stiffness. I finally move, but I can not do what I use to. It makes me sad at times, but I'm trying to adjust to this way of life now. I keep moving and walking, but not for real long times.. Have you experience this also?? I would like to hear more, if you would't mind. Once more, thank you for your reply. Janatee

Old 02-03-2005, 10:50 AM   #4
(female)

bellsudev HB User

Janatee
I was wondering if you have any problems with arthritis, I have arthritis in both knees and the past two years, they have become stiff and achy, so now when I go to get in the car have a heck of a time getting in because of the stiffnes, which is worse some days then others, I do know that if the nerves in your back are being affected, your legs can go numb and feel heavy, periodically both my legs will feel heavy sometimes only one, and some days neither but the heaviness, I would be inclined to think there is still an irritation of the nerves, being compressed, where the numbness is being caused by a cesstation of blood to that area whether short term or long term, so although they may be happening at the same time, albeit for to different reasons. Have you thought about getting another surgeons opinion.

Old 02-05-2005, 01:03 PM   #5

painful cindy HB User

Hi, I had the same surgery in 99 on my L-5 S-1 in 99, just had fusion on the same level on 12-21-04 I have had numb spots and horrible muscle spasms since, when I had my fusion my ortho thought there was a good chance I would regain my feelin and strengh in my leg but he was wrong! My leg now feels like it is in that numbing sleep feeling all the time!! I just went for my 6 week check up he told me it was either my nerves waking up or they scraped a nerve in surgery... so he gave a scrip of neurontin he said that should help,
I have problems at night my leg feels like its in a vice keeps me awake drives me insane!!!! But hopefully this new med will help, I will sure let you know.

Cindy

Old 02-05-2005, 04:52 PM   #6
(female)

Hello Painful... Thank you so much for your responce. I have posted so many times hoping to find someone who has the same problems.The spasms are awful. Sometimes as soon as I get up in the morning, or after sitting awhile, I have to wait a few seconds until the leg decides to move. This the doctor says is nerve damage, due to the build up of calcification that was on top of the bone pushing into my nerve. I had a pie shape wedge,removed from the disk.. This gave me my ability to walk again, but now I have the nerve damage. I too was given the Nurotin, but I did not take it. Doctor says this might get better in time... I also get very MAD, that I can not do all the things I use to. Everyday cleaning, and long walks..just standing for a long period of time is a killer. Do you also have these problems too??? I cry at times, then I get mad and say I will fight this and do what ever I need to do, to make it better. If you can tell me more about your symptoms, please do, I would love to know. Any info you get, please pass on. Thank you Cindi for writing. Keep in touch, and good luck. Janatee

Old 03-29-2005, 03:19 PM   #7
(male)

djw6u HB User

I too am having numb legs from my knees on down to my feet in both legs. I had lamninectomy for cervical compression in Jan/2005 (C4 - T1). The numbness is very scary.

Old 03-30-2005, 08:55 PM   #8
(female)

Thank You duw6u for your reply. I'm wondering, what did your doctor say is the cause of this numbness??? My doc said, I could have nerve damage, due to the pressure of the bone on the nerve for so long. I would like to hear more from you on this if you don't mind. Did your doctor say this would get better in time, and if not, what are you to do , if anything. I know it is scary, I fight this every day. I walk more now with a cane. I had my operation 9/10/2003. I keep doing what I can.. Talk soon. And good luck with your health... Janatee

Closed Thread