It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2005, 09:00 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
How long after ACDF did you go back to work?

Hi, I am nervous. I want to go back to the office after my 2 level acdf but I am afraid I am pushing myself too fast. I know once I get back it will be hard for me to be out. I am also not very good at leaving on time and managing reasonable work hours! Doctor says wait a couple more weeks, my brain says lets get going! I work in a research and development office, very busy, high stress, lots of computer. I feel so much better than before surgery, although I am not 100%, don't know if I ever will be. Can you answer me this?

Single level or multi-level ACDF?
How long till you returned to work?
Type of work? busy office or manual labor/walking type jobs
Would you do anything different?

Old 02-11-2005, 04:59 AM   #2
(male)

rgsmoose HB User
Re: How long after ACDF did you go back to work?

I've had two surgeries on my neck. The first was a c5/c6 corpectomy (which can loosely be equated to a three level ACDF) and a c3/c4/c5 laminaplasty. I was in a hard collar (Aspen) for 12 weeks after each surgery. In each case I was off work a total of 1 1/2 weeks (in the hospital for 1/2 week, home for one week). I'm a systems analyst, so there's no physical work involved. I get bored really quickly, so I just went back to work. It was much better than sitting at home trying to keep my mind occupied. I did need to get rides to/from work because of the collar, but other than that I much preferred being at work.

If you really feel up to it, do it! Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2005, 12:32 PM   #3

tintx HB User

AzNativ,

I had single level acdf c4-5 with autograft from hip on 11-23-04.. I'm a teacher, so my job isn 't sedentary, and isn't strenuous, but it's physically very tiring! I went back to work full time at 6 weeks post op. I ended up taking off 1 day a week for the first three weeks, due to a sinus infection and being exhausted! Since then I've been working about 50 hours a week, and am pretty tired most nights but ok. I started physical therapy 3 days/hours a week last week. My pain level is good most of the day, but I still take one vicodin daily for evening pain. Physical therapy has increased pain a bit, but that may go away soon as my muscles rehabilitate.

Hope this was helpful. Also, due to my plate and screws, I spent about a week in a soft collar.

Tintx

Old 02-14-2005, 08:11 AM   #4
(female)

Esmo77 HB User

2 level ACDF w/corp 11/03. Hospitalized for 7 days due to complications from surgery, non ACDF related. Office/computer job and was back to it in 30 days. Even with the severe complications I went back to work in 4 weeks. I feel like it was plenty of time for me. Good luck.

Old 02-14-2005, 08:16 AM   #5
(female)

chitowngl HB User

I had a one level fusion with hip bone on Jan 6. I felt ready to return to work in about 4 weeks-though my insurance would have let me have 6 weeks. Everyone is different. My one real complaint was being tired all the time, but that gradually goes away.

Old 02-14-2005, 05:26 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

Thanks everyone, it does help me gauage the average. I appreciate it!

Old 02-20-2005, 07:55 PM   #7
(male)

disjointed HB User

Single-level ACDF (C5-C6).

Very physical job (I am sort of a high-tech repairman. I work on MRI and CT equipment. Involves a lot of crawling/lifting/bending/laying on my back/climbing/etc.).

NS is giving me 8 weeks off from time of surgery (which was this past Friday).

Closed Thread