It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2005, 08:51 PM   #1

Mollyt61 HB User
Question Still Incision numbness 5 month post-op

who still has numbness to their incision site 5 month + after acdf surgery. My front of the neck is still quiet numb and some part of my skin is just burning when i touch it. I don't remember this from the acdf 4 years ago, kind of makes me nervous if the numbeness will ever go away. My shoulder is improving (its been 2 month post op). Since a few days i noticed two of my middle fingers are getting numbish and the very top part of my neck in the back starts to bother me a lot, headache like pain , but I have no headaches. Could this be another sign for trouble?? I am getting very freaked out about the numbness in the fingers, please no more neck problems, 2 fusions and shoulder surgery are more then enough. Thanks for letting me vent. And as you can see Iam still around, Martina

Old 02-16-2005, 06:19 AM   #2
(male)

jaymz HB User
Re: Still Incision numbness 5 month post-op

that sux man, i have the same numbness but i aint had the surgery yet, if i go thru this and get no relief i dont know what ill do, i cant stay on painkillers and xanax all my life , and i sure cant work with this pain and numbness i cant even pick up a hammer or climb a ladder hope ya get well soon ! peace jaymz.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2005, 07:34 AM   #3
(female)

Lyn in Michigan HB User

Martina

About your incision, I guess everyone is different. I am 14 months post op for 2 level cervical fusion and at the end of my scar it is still very sore. I have told the doctor about it a few times and he doesn't even comment so I guess that is normal. A few weeks after surgery when I told him how sore my scar was at the end of it he said it could be just a stitch but it is still sore. I guess I can't really answer your question but I thought I would tell you how my scar feels.
Take care
Lyn in Michigan

Old 02-16-2005, 06:54 PM   #4

Mollyt61 HB User

Hi Lyn and Jaymz , thanks for your imput, I really appreciate it, well my doc said it could take up to a year well I guess that calls for a lot of patience , take care Martina

Old 02-17-2005, 08:48 PM   #5

aspen2cody HB User

Hey Molly, Im also 5 months post op and my insision site and above is still numb. It does seem as if its not as numb as before but maybe im just getting used to it That drives me crazy the numbness Im always rubbing under my chin when I have something on my mind.

Old 02-18-2005, 05:50 PM   #6
(male)

Ramsfan HB User

My incision was numb at least 1 year. It was a little scary when I shaved. I also had a problem sometimes when I would yawn the muscle to the left of my scar would lock up and I would have to massage it to loosen it up. That and the numbness have passed.

Old 04-07-2005, 07:30 AM   #7
(female)

Lyn in Michigan HB User

Hi

I am almost 15 months post-op (ACDF C5/6/7) and my scar is still sore at the end. When I had my first checkup after my operation the surgeon told me that maybe there was a stitch at the end of it bothering me and that it would heal. I brought it up to him 14 months after that it was still sore and he just ignored my question. I wish I would have persisted that I get an answer but I didn't and it still hurts. Has anyone else had this problem?
Thanks
Lyn in Michigan

Old 04-07-2005, 02:08 PM   #8
Inactive

dennisgb HB User

Hi Molly,

I haven't had the incision numbness. I do have the pain at the base of the neck right where your skull and neck meet (well that's kind of where it's at...hard to explain). Anyway, my PT doc said that there are nerves there that go up to your optic (I think that it what its called), that get moved around during the ACDF surgery. He said he has had lots of patients complain of this. It's not serious and should go away. Mine actually makes me dizzy if i push on either side when I'm walking. It's very tender back there. He had me put two tennis balls in a sock and rub them on there...sort of excercise the area. It sounds goofy, but it helps.

To tell the truth, this whole post sounds goofy, but that's what he told me.

Old 04-08-2005, 09:42 AM   #9

DonnaKay HB User

It's been 1 year 5 months since my last surgery ... and although I have no numbness, I do get that yawn lock up! It actually makes my head move when it unlocks. It's crazy! There were a few times that I thought it was gonna stay like that. lol

I never thought about how hard of a time a male would have shaving after this surgery. I believe Aspen mentioned this, too. That really would be difficult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsfan
My incision was numb at least 1 year. It was a little scary when I shaved. I also had a problem sometimes when I would yawn the muscle to the left of my scar would lock up and I would have to massage it to loosen it up. That and the numbness have passed.

Old 04-08-2005, 05:34 PM   #10
(male)

Ramsfan HB User

I had numbness for over 1 year before it slowly subsided. I also had the yawn lock up. It isn't as bad now but still occasionally locks up. I have to rub it to relax it again.

As far as shaving, it was pretty scary for a while. I did knick the ends of the scar at first, but got used to shaving around it.

Old 04-10-2005, 02:23 AM   #11
(male)

scoop1200 HB User

Hello All,
New guy here. I had one level ACDF in Jan. 04. It's now April 05. My neck scar still burns, sometimes, and is still sore, sometimes. But mostly, I can forget about it. The scar on my hip where the doc removed bone from my illac crest is still painful, and causes me to limp whenever I don't take pain meds. (ultracet and mobic). I am scheduled for subacrominal decompression on my right shoulder next month. All this from a 15 second accident with a couple of laptops.
/scoop

Closed Thread