It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2005, 10:20 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
Question Crackling, clicking in neck after acdf

I had a 2 level acdf c4-6 in December. My recovery has been pretty run of the mill issues. I am week 10 post-op. I wore the miami j brace for 8 1/2 weeks, the past week I have been moving my neck much more and experienced no pain etc, good range of motion.

HOWEVER, I have noticed I have a crackling, clicking, or what I would call popping sounds in my neck. I felt good, but today feel a little sore. I never had these things from my prior problems only now. Has anyone else discovered this, had this, and is it a sign of a problem if you had it?? I really hope not, but it is making me nervous.

Old 03-26-2005, 06:50 AM   #2
(male)

tgent HB User
Re: Crackling, clicking in neck after acdf

You are not alone. I had acdf (3 levels) Dec.8th 2004 and I too have a cracking sound and feeling at the base of my scull when I move after sitting still for a while. I go back for a checkup in June. My 2nd myelogram looked okay so I guess it's the new wearing off!! I have pain on the back side of my neck when I sit looking at the computor screen for a while that I used to not have. Doc states this is normal from surgery and should go away. Let me know if you find out about the cracking or popping. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2005, 06:30 AM   #3
(male)

Ramsfan HB User

I had surgery on C5 thru C7 1 1/2 years ago and had the same thing. I questioned my surgeon and he said it is perfectly normal and will eventually go away. After a few months I didn't have any more.

Old 03-27-2005, 07:32 PM   #4
(male)

Ramsfan HB User

acdf stands for "anterior cervical decompression and fusion"

Frank

Old 03-28-2005, 04:20 PM   #5
(female)

AKGIRL HB User

I also have a lot of 'noise' occuring in my neck..both crackling and clicking..sometimes it feels as though it is catching. I was not fused..so I know it is not hardware. My surgery was a 5 level posterior cervical laminectomy. (for congenital stenosis) I am about 16 months out and it has not resolved itself. I try to ignore it, but find myself worrying when it gets really bad. I dont know if it is new arthritis or not, and I worry that if it is, it may impinge again on the spinal cord. I now call or e mail my doc when I am concerned about anything....I think it is better than worrying.This board is also fabulous..I have learned a lot about what to be concerned with and what is 'normal'.
Good luck...

Old 03-29-2005, 09:22 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

thanks for all the answers! I go for my 3 month on 4/7 and i do intend on exploring this further. they weren't overly concerned but said watch it. I put the collar back on more and it seems to be making these noises less. I will post what they say when I go back. I can say I notice the small pain i do feel comes and goes with the noise. the days i feel bad i notice i hear the noise more!

ACDF can also be called anterior cervial discectomy and fusion.

Closed Thread