It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2005, 11:40 PM   #1
(female)

clramr HB User
Post ACDF- symptoms were gone now back

Hi,

I'm new. I had an ACDF of c5/6/7 December 2004. My symptoms were related to spinal cord compression, problems with the bladder; I never had any arm pain. Within two weeks after surgery, all of my symptoms were gone. About 6 weeks, my bladder symptoms came back. My surgeon ordered another MRI and all he said was I had some spinal cord compression, but nothing like I had before surgery. He referred me to my urologist. The urologist said its not my bladder, but most like something with the cervical spine. My family dr has given me a referral to a neurologist, but I don't see him until May 26th.

I'm very frustrated and now my neck hurts (which the surgeon's nurse says it because of all the rain we have had here. As anyone else had anything similiar to this? Any ideas of how to cope with this will be greatly appreciated.

CLMAMR

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2005, 05:22 AM   #2
(female)

goawaypain HB User
Re: Post ACDF- symptoms were gone now back

Sorry you are experiencing all of this after going thru the surgery. I too have problems with c5-6 but they tell me surgery will either 1. not do much good, 2. make it worse, 3. or do nothing at all. So here I am 4 yrs later, no surgery. pain, meds, depression etc.
What did they tell you about what to expect from the procedure? I see so many people on these boards with failed surgeries it isnt even funny.
I hope they can help you, did you have a fusion? I think I remember that acdf involves that but the topamax messes with my memory sometimes.
Did the fusion take? Have you reinjured? Did they take out all of your disc. Is it the same level that shows cord compression or diff. one? I know these are alot of questions that you probably wont find out until appt, maybe some to ask doc.
Hope you feel better, get on some meds for the pain if you are not all ready on them. It sucks doesn't it? that is why i havent taken the plunge.
good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2005, 07:40 PM   #3
(female)

clramr HB User

Well, I saw the surgeon yesterday. He doesn't know if the fusion has taken place yet. I had an x-ray, but I won't get the results for 7-10 days, which is stupid, because the surgeon can pull up the x-rays on his computer in his office! When I asked why my symptoms disappeared and then came back- he said " I don't know." So I don't know anything more now than I did before the appt.

Thanks for listening.

Old 05-18-2005, 07:53 AM   #4
Inactive

dennisgb HB User

Goawaypain,

You see so many people with complications and problems on these boards, because this is where people go to find answers.

If you take the time to look, you will see successful surgeries also. Seach my posts for instance.

Dennis

Old 05-19-2005, 09:39 AM   #5
(female)

Lyn in Michigan HB User

Hi all
I had a ACDF with titanium pins and plates and donor bones on Nov. 29/2003 for bone spurs, degeration, arthritis and the pain never did go away. I had a car accident 6 weeks after surgery (not my fault) and got whiplash and not sure if that is why I never felt better or not. I was told after several visits to the neurosurgeon afterwards that he now thinks I have fibromyalgia after going through that major operation. Not until I pleaded with him to help me again at "14 months" after surgery then he sent me for a "cervical myelogram" to see if I had fused which showed him that my second donor bone had disintegrated. He said "what is wrong with you, you never healed". Well how in the heck am I supposed to understand that!!!! He said even though I don't have the donor bone in there anymore that the fusion is still in place because the plate is still holding it together. I am not sure whether I believe that or not, but when I questioned him to find out why he hadn't send me for this test way before this he didn't like me questioning him and told me that he wouldn't be my doctor anymore and to find someone else to help me. How very discouraging!!!!! Anyway I am still in the same pain as before the operation. I have been going to a pain clinic and they think a lot of my pain is "myofascial" which is in your facet joints. I have had several injections and medial branch blocks. On Tuesday of this week, they did something called a "radio frequency lesioning" where they burnt the nerves in my cervical spine "my facets" that send pain signals to the brain. This is not a cure this is only temporary because the nerves will grow back anywhere from 6 months to a year but 3 days into it, I am already starting to feel better in the shoulder and neck area, mind you I am getting completely numb in those areas as the days go on. When I normally push on my shoulders and neck area the pain or aching is terrible, now I can't feel much of anything there. I hope this is going to work but I won't know completely for another few weeks because the lesions or burning can be painful for awhile. I will keep you posted on how this procedure works. Hopefully this might help someone.
Take care all
Lyn in Michigan

Old 05-30-2005, 07:11 PM   #6
(female)

Nikki E HB User

Lyn in michigan,
Hey I just got through reading your story and I have to say I am disgusted. I would try my best to get what I was due me from that Dr. If he was doing his job and doing it correctly, it looks to me that you wouldn't be in the shape you are in. I work in the medical field with Dr.s daily,and it makes me sick that you have had this happen to you. I am not the type of person to be out to get someone just because. But I can tell you one thing, if that and pray God it doesn't, but if the same scenario happens to me as it has you. I can promise my doctor one thing, I will be getting the last word and I will be a patient he will never forget. My surgery is in 16 days and my heart goes out to you. Don't just sit back and let this doctor get away with leaving you in the shape you are in. You paid him to do a job, and it wasn't done right, therefore he needs to fix the problem without putting his hands on you again.
I'm sorry to keep rambling on and on about it but some doctors act and behave the way they do because we allow it. Remember, he puts his socks and shoes on the same way we do and I would kindly remind him of that.
Nikki E.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:58 AM   #7
(female)

Mouse1722 HB User
Cool Re: Post ACDF- symptoms were gone now back

Quote:
Originally Posted by clramr View Post
Hi,

I'm new. I had an ACDF of c5/6/7 December 2004. My symptoms were related to spinal cord compression, problems with the bladder; I never had any arm pain. Within two weeks after surgery, all of my symptoms were gone. About 6 weeks, my bladder symptoms came back. My surgeon ordered another MRI and all he said was I had some spinal cord compression, but nothing like I had before surgery. He referred me to my urologist. The urologist said its not my bladder, but most like something with the cervical spine. My family dr has given me a referral to a neurologist, but I don't see him until May 26th.

I'm very frustrated and now my neck hurts (which the surgeon's nurse says it because of all the rain we have had here. As anyone else had anything similiar to this? Any ideas of how to cope with this will be greatly appreciated.

CLMAMR

Old 08-23-2007, 01:11 AM   #8
(female)

Mouse1722 HB User

When I was reading your quote, I felt very bad for all your troubles, I myself
have had cervical spinal surgery in 1997 three levels, one level did not take.
Now I am facing 4 levels to be fused and have the titanium plates and screws
implanted to secure my neck. I am using my own bone from my hip because
I do not want to run the risk of HIV. I'm sorry for all you have indured, your
Doctor should be more dedicated and hands on to assist you in any possible
to ease you pain level. I have no choice but to have this surgery the pain
I am in now is not something I can live with. The impingement to my spinal
cord is such that the damage could be irreversible. The bone spurs are
pressing on the nerves and cord. My headaches are endless. I realize that
there are so many risk factors, but where would we be without these
proceedures. After my 1997 fusions, I also had problems with incontenance.
I was also referred to a professional. I can tell you it has faded away with
no medicines or surgery to correct it. Please get what ever help you can
so you can enjoy your life. We only go around once and we all should make
the best of each day God gives Us. About the rain. There are many times
when the weather is damp I feel more achey. But it is certainly not the cause
of what you are feeling, and I'm not a doctor or nurse. Good Luck keep me
posted. I'll be going for surgery on September 6, 2007. The Doctor you have
makes all the difference in the world. This doctor just operated on my
Husband on July 26, 2007 for Lumbar Surgery. He was falling because his
legs were numb and giving out. I am so happy to say the he is doing wonder
ful and is not in any more pain. He couldn't even shave, or shower without
suffering from excusiating pain. Wishing all the best. Mouse

Old 08-24-2007, 12:38 PM   #9
(female)

dolores216 HB User

I, also had cervical surgery in april, 2007. I had a 3 phase surgery with a plate and screws in the front of my neck and a cadaber bone, rods and screws in the back. The pain was tremendous for about 2 weeks. After that, I had alot of weakness. I had to pace myself in anything I did. Other than some odd feelings, like a lump in my throat once in a while, I am presently having no problems. I am to see my NS on the 28th. I will find out if I have fused then. If my NS would tell me to find another doctor, I would be very suspicious as to why. My feelings are that you need to look at reasons for this. You may need to consider legal action. I'm not sure he can just drop you like that for no reason.

Closed Thread