It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2005, 10:21 PM   #1

unsuremars HB User
cervical bulge causing arms/legs spasms

initially i was diagnosed with a c5/6 bulge. symptoms included muscle spams and slight pain in my left arm.

about six months later, i began to experience muscle spasms in my right arm.

a couple years later, i now experience muscle spasms in arms and legs, with muscle cramps. occasionally i get neck pain, but its tolerable.

anybody else experience symptoms from a cervical injury in both arms and legs. doc's are suggesting that it might stem from a nerve disease, which i'm hoping its not.

Old 05-22-2005, 03:27 PM   #2

jsb1957 HB User
Re: cervical bulge causing arms/legs spasms

If the cervical problems are causing cord compression then it is possible for neck problems to cause both arm and leg problems. Prior to my c-6, c-7 corprctomy and strut graft I had no feeling in either my arms or my legs due to severe stenosis causing cord compression.

After the surgury, I got some, but not all of the feeling back--I waited too long prior to having the surgury.

This should not scare you as my experience is NOT typical. I had no pain prior to the surgury just complete loss of feeling in all my exterminities my Dr. had never seen a case where there was no pain prior to the surgury but still had lots of nerve damage that turned out to be permanent even after release of the pressure on the cord.

joe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2005, 07:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

Unsure-

It might be time to see your Neurosurgeon again and have a follow-up MRI done or at least schedule an EMG to see exactly which nerves are being impinged.

wb

Old 05-25-2005, 07:26 PM   #4

unsuremars HB User

joe,
thats pretty similar to me. i dont really have any pain, radiating down any parts of my body. occasionally i'll feel some neck discomfort though.

ive had 4 mri's done in the last year. each mri is showing that the bulge around c6/7 is getting smaller. think it started around 4mm, now its only 2-3.

Old 05-26-2005, 12:56 AM   #5
(male)

rob_zzz HB User

I've got mild leg and arm symptoms from cervical problems - could be mild spinal cord injury from initial accident but to me it seems like it could be slowly getting worse and I do have herniated disc in contact with the spinal cord and mild thecal sac indentation. Symptoms like legs, feet, buttocks go numb easily, weak/heavy feelings in legs, coldness under skin in feet/up calves, *****ling feelings in legs, arms, torso, tingling/crawling feelings in feet, occasional muscle twitches, involuntary finger movement etc. etc. All fairly mild but not there before the injury - the most worrying one I get sometimes is waking with a numb/weak leg or arm though this seems to be happening less often (9 months since injury). I've also noticed a lot of stiffness in the legs - quads, hips, hamstrings, feet.

My initial injury I was temporarily paralysed from neck down for about 15 seconds, so I'm well aware that the cervical can impact legs/arms

If you do searches on cervical stenosis or cervical myelopathy you'll find more information.

I don't have any significant neck pain - bit of stiffness and slightly reduced range of motion and a bit of shoulder tension and sometimes mild localised pain at the herniation level. Had quite poor ROM to the left but this has improved recently after physio (though my left arm also went weak/numb during the night after the physio but it went away a little while after waking (few minutes or so). Also had a lot more tingling/pins/needles in leg the morning after the physio but thats gone as well.

Closed Thread