It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2005, 01:35 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

NYFUSED HB User
Lumbar fusion L1-L5 ??

Anyone here that has had a fusion at L1-L5??
Had a lami l4-5 in 2001 now DDD, sciatica, spondylosis. Pain, pain pain. Also have t11-t12 herniation which is making me nervous since a fusion at these levels could make the t11-t12 level worse in time. (major c-spine issues also)

Thank You
Lori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2005, 04:42 PM   #2
(female)

wimpette HB User
Re: Lumbar fusion L1-L5 ??

Hi,
Have had two cervical surgeries but have avoided lumbar procedures in spite of significant problems. Before you undergo any major procedure make sure you get at least a couple of different opinions and know what all your options are. Is there any other way of controlling the pain? Is the pain coming from all the levels they want to fuse? Before anyone did anything like that to me those are the questions I would ask. Regardless of the pain you are now having this is not an operation you want to rush into without knowing all your options.

Good luck, keep us updated.
W

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2005, 05:18 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

NYFUSED HB User
Re: Lumbar fusion L1-L5 ??

Wimpette,
Thanks for replying. I have been to several Dr.'s, OSS'S AND NS. Fusion at this time is the only option I have. They cant decompress w/o it because of instability. I am not a candidate for ADR, already looked into that. My current OSS says to wait it out and see if some new procedure comes along but I dont know how much longer I can wait. It has been almost 2 years since the original MRI revealed these findings. The most current MRI shows that the stenosis is getting worse. I am not rushing into any surgery. I did have the surgery booked in January but canceled it because I was not mentally or physically ready. I have had 4 spinal surgeries already the last one not being successful so I still have c-spine problems. I am just curious if any one on the boards have had such an involved ( multi level fusion ) lumbar spine operation.
Thanks
Lori
Current meds:
durages patches 25mg, oxycodone break through pain, topamax, valium
trigger point injections for cspine June 2005
ESI lumbar spine June 2005

Closed Thread