It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2005, 02:53 PM   #1
Veteran

solardust HB User
input on these nerve jolts

Hi Everybody,I am hopeing you guys can help me out here,w/understanding these nerve jolts,recap,I had c6-7 fusion last Aug,and know I have upper level problems,I can not get in to talk w/ anyone until the 16th,prior to the fusion, I had over whelming pain in right shoulder,arm,elbow thumb,stiff neck,spastic legs,the fusion got rid of that,ThankGod,Now the left thumb started acting up about a month ago or so,sholder off and on, and neck is stiffer then normal,But....these nerve jolts are crazy, I cannot extend my left arm w/o it jolting up the thumb, off and on tingles in right hand,then this started yesterday,Iget a 30 sec or so jolt in left part of belly and at the same time on top of left big toe, just crazy,Thankfully it passes cuz it is intense,can anyone enlighten me here????I purposely stretch the left arm,off and on, cuz somewhere along this road, I "googled" and read that you should not sleep on the bad shoulder cuz it shortens the nerve in the shoulder causeing more problem,for the life of me I can not find that page again,but that is why I am stretching this left arm of mine,and I guess I pray everytime that the jolt will not happen,but alas it does,so help me out here ok, I need and want the education, Thanks Diana

Old 06-09-2005, 06:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: input on these nerve jolts

It sounds like you could be having some sort of an issue with a nerve being irritated when you move into certain postions.This could be caused by many different things.Have you had a recent MRI done on the c spine area.the fact that your big toe is involved with this could possibly mean that your c 8 nerve might be involved in this as well.after my spinal cord surgey,which was done directly to the actual spinal cord to a lesion that was actually sitting right over the c 8, i started getting wierd nerve 'ickys" in a spot at the front ,and slightly over to the side a bit,but IN the front of my big toe.But the absolute strangest thing about when i actually pushed on that toe spot was I would get this weird nerve jolt that would run up the inside of my leg and end directly inside the vaginal area.now talk about bizarre!!it actually was not all that 'unpleasent"(lol),just bizarre.

i really do think you need to have another MRI done on your C and upper T to see if anything new is happening there.Just a thought.please keep me posted on what you find.Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2005, 11:24 AM   #3
Veteran

solardust HB User

Thankyou Marcia,Gee's I do think you are right about the MRI,having the plate and screws in is'nt a problem ,is it?I tried pushing on the toe,lol but it seems it only goes one way,down,I really hope there are no issues in the 8 level,no one mentioned a issue there,but as I found out w/my lower back, no one mention S1 was involved,seems little or no info is the route,my NS did tell me I had enough miles on my spine,but I had to go back to work for the money,but am seriously gonna look through the summer months for something alittle more spine friendly lol like floating around a pool or something!!!I wish,kk Thanks Diana, ps...will post once I know something about this.

Old 06-10-2005, 07:20 AM   #4
Veteran

solardust HB User

Thanks, The MRI thing is a relief,was wondering how that worked,C6,sounds about right, since I had C6-7 fused and know that C5-6 was bad from the start,as well as the ones above that,when I awoke from surgery the most God awfull pain was gone,except this nag in left shoulder, my NS said that was C 5-6 and arm positoning would help,and he wanted to wait w/ that one untill medical fix came up w/ better things.I have been paying attention a great deal to when this jolt thing is the worse, and did note,that when laying down it is gone,lol maybe I should wheel myself around on a gurney,the stomach, toe, well that is just plain wierd, I know,I do have a peptic ulcer that landed me in the ICU for 6 days, maybe a nerve irrated from that??? Thanks for listening, Diana

Last edited by moderator2; 06-19-2005 at 07:49 PM.

Old 06-10-2005, 07:42 AM   #5
(male)

rob_zzz HB User

Diana,

I can understand your concerns - its good to hear the your surgery fixed up most of your earlier problems. The suggestion of getting another mri seems like a sensible one - if you had cord compression symptoms prior to surgery then its not unlikely that the toe and belly symptoms are being triggered by cervical problems. I think conventional medicine would say that cervical cord compression problems would be bilateral in nature, but from my own experience I seem to get a variety of symptoms about the place on and off.

Hopefully its just some temporary episode that you're going through - is it possible you've started to neglect posture etc. since your surgery? (I know that as i become more relaxed about my own injury its easy to start to forget about posture habits that I know keep things under control).

Rob.

--------------------------------------
1997 - snowboarding accident landed on head after jump. Subluxation of c3/c4/c5. Healed fine - no major problems.

Sept 2004 - surfing accident - landed on head on sandbank - transient quadriplegia (temporary paralysis from neck down) for 15 seconds while underwater - quickly recovered full function of all limbs (phew ...!).

MRI confirmed herniated c5/c6 disc with bulges at c3-c5
no surgery so far

Old 06-11-2005, 04:50 AM   #6
(male)

rob_zzz HB User

Diana,

I co-incidentally stumbled upon this article on pubmed while looking up some other stuff - could be relevant to your situation - it describes a patient that had abdominal twitches along with their radicular symptoms that were cervical related.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=15945438&query_hl=1

Rob

Old 06-16-2005, 06:01 AM   #7
(female)

cybrm0m HB User

Dear Solardust,
Sorry, I don't know much about the nerve jolts, except that it may be an overstimulation of the nerve. I get trembling of my hand when I try to do too much(which really is not all that much).
I do suggest that when you go to the doctor you should keep in mind that an MRI will have what they call artifacts, a blurry portion of the film due to the plate and screws in your neck (like the other person said). That has happened to me this time. So they did a CT scan which is not affected by the metal, but this does not show a clear picture of the nerves, only bone. So neither of these give clear info for people with hardware like you and me. I've been told by a neurosurgeon that a CT/mylogram will show a better picture but it can be "very uncomfortabe". They do a kind of spinal tap and inject a dye and then do a CT. I haven't had this yet so I can't give you first hand info.
Good luck to you.

Old 06-16-2005, 09:55 PM   #8
Veteran

solardust HB User

Hi Rob, I am having a bit of trouble getting to your site,but will manage, I appreciate greatly that you found it, I think I just have to get my kids stuff shut down ,cuz the puter is running slow,also Thankyou Cybrmom,I was wondering about the pictures w/ the plate and screws, I went into the pain clinic today and got 4 shots to the lower spine for the facet joints, the Doc there said he will do all he can to help me, but added that the possibility of needing fusions are pretty high, that is something I dont think I will go with at all,I brought up the thumb jolts, and he said he had a good idea what it was coming from, but I need to see another Doc that he recommended first, he said it is a risky procedure because of the prior fusion, and wants all the second thoughts on it as possible,well.....lets just say I am kinda sick over that.Ya know I could live with these jolts and shoulder pain,if someone would just tell me that that will be as far as it goes,"haha" and I think we all know thats not gonna happen.I am sick over what I am gonna do this Sept,I honestly do not want to give up driving the bus, but already see alittle improvment not driving,I was also thinking about putting the hard collar on again, in hopes the pressure relief may help, but that is another icky thought,oh gee's like you all know this is not a fun game at all, to much guess work.Thankyou all for the support, I am gonna get to that site Rob,and keep ya all posted. Diana

Old 06-17-2005, 06:55 AM   #9
(female)

cybrm0m HB User

Dear Solardust,
I understand what you are saying and am feeling much of the same. I am scheduled to see an OSS on tues. for a surgical consult. I don't want another fusion nor more plates, I have little enough range of motion as it is, I don't want to lose any more. But I know that I can't go on like this either. Since March I haven't been able to work and my life has been extremely limited, driving more than 5 minutes causes great pain. Do you sometimes feel very isolated? I do. The doc says that I have lost too much strength in my right hand and my left is following the pattern so that I need surgery and I need it fast. At this point I just want my life back.
Have you or anyone else out there heard of people who have a less invasive surgery to correct herniated disk compressing nerves? I have seen info about this on the web. I also saw a NS a few months ago, who said that he stopped doing my kind of ACDF 4 years ago and does a less invasive procedure that leaves you with more range of motion. He goes in from the back not the front like I had.
Hang in there Solardust. At least we have doctors we can talk to.

Last edited by cybrm0m; 06-17-2005 at 07:00 AM.

Old 06-17-2005, 07:15 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Maybe a laminectomy?Just a thought.Marcia

Closed Thread