It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2005, 03:00 PM   #1
(male)

dmiller HB User
Thumbs up ACDF 8/1... Thank You For All Your Support

Like most people who are on this site, I started on doing searches online because I had many questions about my situation. With all the questions that would arise, I would come to this site. Just when I thought I would have to pose the question to the group, low and behold I would find the answer. This almost led me to the conclusion that there would never be a reason for me to leave a posting, as my procedure has been done, and thus far I am doing fine. However, having all this free time, allows for much thinking. Which lead me to the conclusion that not only was it the ability to answer questions, but all the kind words and support that has been shown. The people on this site have been more informative than I could have ever imagined, and were able to set my mind at ease about my surgery. For this I must say thank you to ALL OF YOU. Perhaps I will be able to return the favor, to others just finding this site.

I had ACDF c6-7 w/o hardware, donor bone on 8/1. Everything went exactly according to plan, and according to expectations. The pain I was experiencing prior to surgery was, as far as I was concerned, gone. Over the next few days’ things seemed to be improving. Aside from the obvious swallowing difficulty and frustration, I was actually starting to feel, like I haven't felt in a long time. It seemed too good to be true. I'm sure you all have heard the rest of that story.

On the morning of my 4th day home, after my accustomed 3 hours sleep, I awoke. While doing my roll to get up, I must have stretched something wrong. I initiated some severe spasms in my shoulders and in my left arm. This coincidentally was the side of my pain before surgery. I guess under the circumstances, that muscle spasms would be the least of my worries. I know the inactivity, along with being in a new "comfortable" position could cause this. My only question would be how any of you have handled this situation. I don't see the Dr for another week. I am currently only on pain meds but have noticed that some of you were prescribed muscle relaxers. Was this a foresight or something that you requested? Perhaps there is some other way of handling them that I have missed.

We all know that no other question is more important to us, than the one that is immediately upon us now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And if you have any questions for me, I will be more than happy to help.
Again… Thanks all, Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2005, 09:00 AM   #2
Inactive

dennisgb HB User
Re: ACDF 8/1... Thank You For All Your Support

Hi Dave,

the muscle spasms can be really bad, sometimes feeling very simillar to the original pain.

I used heat and cold alternating to relieve the spasms. I also used muscle rubs, as they seemed to help. The best I found was Flexall. You can get a generic of this at Walgreens (if you have one in your area).

I'm not sure about the muscle relaxers. They never worked very well for me, and always made me groggy. I'm not sure they would be a good mix with pain meds.

Try the hot/cold. Don't leave either on for more than 30 minutes. Alternate about every 15 minutes. Eventually, when you can do excercises, this will go away.

The biggest problem is the body trying to "protect" the site of the surgery. I found myself hunching up my shoulders in a funny position, that made the spasms worse. If you are doing this, try and relax those shoulders. This takes a while, and I didn't really start to bring them down to normal until I started PT.

Hope that helps.

Dennis

Last edited by dennisgb; 08-08-2005 at 09:01 AM.

Closed Thread