It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2005, 04:53 AM   #1
(male)

ljreynolds HB User
Advice on Laminoplasty

First post, so bear with me on terminology. I am trying to research laminoplasty as my surgeon says that this procedure may be the preference for the severe stenosis that I have in 4 locations from C3 through C7. He says the downside is the pain that may result from all of the muscle disturbance at the back of the neck. Has anyone here had this procedure and what sort of success did you have? Thanks

Last edited by ljreynolds; 09-20-2005 at 04:55 AM.

Old 09-20-2005, 06:50 PM   #2
(male)

rgsmoose HB User
Re: Advice on Laminoplasty

Your surgeon is being truthful with you. I've had two surgeries on my neck - a C5 & C6 corpectomy and a C3/C4/C5 laminaplasty. I can tell you the posterior surgery has caused more pain than the anterior. I had the corpectomy about three years ago, then had the laminaplasty about 1 and one-half years ago. I never had much pain from the corpectomy at all. I still have pain from the laminaplasty. I resisted taking any medications for it for over a year, but broke down and am now on Neurontin, which helps some.

I don't know how to advise you with your problem. I had severe stenosis on several levels too, causing myelopathy. The first fix, the corpectomy, got rid of most of the numbness for about a year. The next fix, the laminaplasty, got rid of it again, and it's pretty much stayed away so far. I guess it was worth it, because I am gaining strength in my arm and leg. But I can't tell you which is the better surgery, as it all depends on your exact problem and your surgeon's training and experience. You have to find a surgeon you trust and go with his advice. Getting a second opinion is always a good idea too.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2005, 07:10 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sunshine221 HB User
Re: Advice on Laminoplasty

I had a laminectomy Sept 2 - the muscle incision is pretty much the same as the laminoplasty. To follow the old cliche - each day gets better. I could hardly move the first few days, even needing help to situp from laying down. But about 2.5 weeks postop all of a sudden I regained good range of neck motion and while I still can't lift or reach, I'm pretty much back at work (with rest breaks - I own my business) and functioning pretty well.

Closed Thread