It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2005, 09:17 AM   #1
(female)

Lorgirl HB User
Aching in bicep/upper arm

Hi all

I have been having an achy pain in my upper arm/bicep area mostly for the past week or so. I also have some forearm pain and pain in my hands. I have been having muscle twitching in this arm also only.

In 1999 I had been diagnosed with 2 herniated discs in my neck at C5/6 and c6/7. At that time, I had severe pain radiating down my back/left neck and left arm/hand. After going to PT for about 9 months, I was able to get thru this without surgery. I am just wondering if the pain I am experiencing in my arm is possibly from my neck issues. It's not the same pain as back in 1999 though.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-19-2005, 02:28 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sunshine221 HB User
Re: Aching in bicep/upper arm

Yes - this could be from the cervical spine. It wouldn't hurt to see a neurologist and get an MRI done of the area.

I had similar pain post-surgery but I'm pretty sure its from the spinal cord adjusting post surgery (and me rushing into certain exercises too fast post surgery which was Sept 2). I started the exercises at about 4 weeks post op - stopped the exercises that I thought were causing the problem - and the pain went away (mostly) by 5.5 weeks post op.

The pain in the upper arm was so bad that I could barely sit at the table to eat - I ate lefty when necessary. (I also had a lot of twitching/tremors in my right arm pre-surgery which are greatly reduced, not 100% gone, post surgery)

Most people on this board had fusion surgeries, I had a laminectomy - listening to the long term complications of fusion I think/hope/pray that I made the right decision in the long term. (again you have to remember that the people with totally sucessful outcomes often disappear from the board)

-Gloria

Last edited by sunshine221; 10-19-2005 at 02:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2005, 04:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User
Re: Aching in bicep/upper arm

Hello Lorgirl
I also experienced severe bicep & tricep pain for many months prior to my surgery. The pain was also intense in both my shoulders and I developed bilateral frozen shoulder due to the pain and not being able to use my arms as much. I had to see an orthopedic even though I was already seeing a neuro surgeon and pain management doctor. I had several mri's of both shoulders and they did indeed find some injury's. But I was told by my ortho that he had to treat my frozen shoulder immediately. I had a small surgical procedure to break up the scar tissue that had developed in both my shoulders. Anyway the point of my story is, although your pain is most likely coming from your cervical area. you should seek medical attention and have some more testing. I know that it is hard to continuously use the arm that hurts you, but possibly therapy of some sort might be a good idea. It is very important to keep you arm moving so that you don't lose your range of motion.
Jeanne

on L4,L5,S1 June 2003
Instrumentation = 2 Rods, 6 Screws, 2 Disc Spacers
FBSS-Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
Re-Herniated Disc's, L4-5, L-5 & S1
~CERVICAL~
Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD)
Disc Osteophyte Complex
Compression Deformity & Spinal Lithiasis
C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated & Bulging Disc's
C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.
Fusion & Discectomy on Level C5-6 - September 2005
Instrumentation = Titanium Plate & Screws

Bilateral Chronic L4 versus L5 Radiculopathy
Bilateral Frozen Shoulder - MUA 2/7/05
Slap Injury's of Bilateral Shoulders
Hyperlipidemia, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthrosis, Bursitis, Tendonitis,
Tendonosis, Type ll Diabetes, Anemia, Asthma, Acid Reflux, IBS,
Migraine's, Sleep Apnea, Urinary Incontinence
Polyneuropathy, Edema of Bilateral Legs & Feet.

Closed Thread