It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2005, 06:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User
Donor bone vs. own bone

What is the best prognosis for a fusion? How long is the recovery if you choose to use your own bone for one or two level fusion?

Old 10-26-2005, 07:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User
Re: Donor bone vs. own bone

I had BMP, bone morphogenic protein for my 3-level fusion. It's supposed to fuse faster and there is no graft site pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2005, 07:59 AM   #3
(female)

CHETNSUE HB User

I had a 2 level fusion with my own bone and I fused very well and it took around 2 1/2 months or 3 1/2 months for it to fuse. The Doctors (NS and OS) said that they were very happy witht he way it fused. I also used a Bone Growth Stimulator to aid in the Fusion. Hope this helped.
Susan

Old 10-26-2005, 08:09 AM   #4
(female)

wimpette HB User

The answer seems to depend on who you talk to! Some docs believe that the gold standard is own bone however many people have a lot of problems with pain and healing at the donor site. I had donor bone for a two level fusion and failed to fuse totally at one level and partially at the other.

When I had a posterior fusion I was going to use my own bone but the surgeon used a combination of my own bone taken locally from the spinous processes mixed up with BMP which seems to have worked well. However, I don't think bmp is officially approved for all situations although many surgeons use it.
W

Old 10-26-2005, 09:20 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

Used donor bone in my 2 level C4-6, my doc said he had no statistical difference in his patients who use allograft or autograt.

I fused within the 6 months one side better than other, but both solid.

however, i did grow an osteophyte complex (ridging) below my 2 level. so the c6-7 site is causing me problems. i was wondering if it had to do with the 1st surgery.

Old 10-26-2005, 11:53 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

Thanks for such a quick response. Then my question is for donor bone how long was the healing from the bone retrieval and was it painful? And with donor bone was the healing time faster?

I ask since I am trying to figure out how long I'll be off work (mind you I want to be off as long as possibe as I have a 2 mo old I want to spend more time with) and this is workman's comp. My OS makes it sound like I will be back at work in 2 weeks. My duties at work have changed and I will either be dispatching or working on a computer. So I would think the time frame would be at least 4-6 weeks.

Aznativ- I remember when I had a posterior decompression done at C6-7 in 2003 my NS told me that the disks above and below may weaken. As is the case now I have a central stenosis with bonespur and hernation (to 6.5mm) and a herniation at C7-T1. So my guess is that yes that could be why you now have a spur growing below your surgical location.

Old 10-26-2005, 02:03 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

notpain HB User

Stats I have read most recently:

1 level fusion - 95% Autograft (Own Bone), 90% Allograft (Donor bone)
2 level fusion - have not read
3 level fusion - 90% Autograft 84% Allograft

I think anyone in otherwise good health would be wise to use the allograft as it eliminates the possible complictions of a donor site. BMP and now BMP2 help fusion, but my Neurosurgon says he does not use it in Cervical Spine. The complication is the cervical spine is smaller and BMP can spread causing bone growth where it is not wanted.

The risk of HIV or Hepatitis C from Donor Bone is supposedly 1-200,000 to 1-1,000,000

Nobody wants to be the "1". So there is risk. But supposedly with the newer sterilization methods this is a moot point. But whenever I ask where the donor bone comes from no one can answer me.

I also read that it is not a bad idea to bank some of your own blood prior to surgery but no surgeon has ever told me this.

Finally depending on the technique and proceedure - cages, plating, etc. they can actually get enough bone material from the proceedure to not have to harvest bone.

I am fascinated by Dr. Schiffers site and have written them where he does Disectomy WITHOUT FUSION. They supposedly heal just fine and can actually leave more space for the nerves with out the danger of adjacent disc disease. In fact Dr. Schiffer has had this himself. So it may make you a bit shorter but eliminates the need for bone graft at all!

Too many options, too little - "this is the best option".

Keep in mind that Statistics include everyone who has surgery, so they include smokers, people with other diseases, people of all ages and genders. What is important is you consult with your doctor and evaluate your own personal health to determine what your best chance of success with fusion will be.

Old 10-26-2005, 07:43 PM   #8
(male)

dootag HB User

Hi BackInTheSaddle,
I used donor bone in 1989. It broke in 2002. The only way I'd use donor bone again is if it was plated or caged or something substantial. I have been told that in the late 80's and early 90's there were quality problems with the donor bone because of the fear of AIDS. All I know is that mine's broken, and they cant fix it with out putting my power of speech at severe risk. So I live with it. A new xray shows an osteophyte growing at the break site.
dootag

Old 10-26-2005, 07:43 PM   #9
(male)

dootag HB User

disregard this was a duplicate send - can't figure out how to delete it.

Last edited by dootag; 10-26-2005 at 07:47 PM. Reason: duplicate send

Old 10-27-2005, 05:40 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

I am leaning towards using my own bone. I first thought donor bone but then I though about what bone heals best, I would think your own. I do not know much a but it though. I believe it comes from your hip? Does it hurt and for how long? I am in a holding pattern while my doctors incompetant help gets W/C to cover another MRI. They have been dragging their feet for weeks and I am slowly loosing patience. I wanted an idea of when before I go back work from maternity leave.

What is BMP? And what does it do or not do?

Old 10-27-2005, 07:53 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

BMP is bone morphogenic protein. It fuses faster than your own bone.

Closed Thread