It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2005, 12:24 AM   #1
(female)

skr HB User
Unhappy i have NUMBNESS IN BOTH ARMS, MORE OFTEN, ANY IDEAS WHY..Help

I'LL MAKE MY QUESTION AS SIMPLE AS I CAN, MY ARMS ARE NUMB FROM SHOULDER DOWN; ASLEEP; SOMETIMES IT REALLY HURTS TOO IN THE UPPER PART. HAPPENS SEVERAL TIMES A DAY.THIS AM I WAS CRYING DUE TO THE PAIN IN SHOULDERS IT WAS SO AWFUL.
occurs when awaking, driving, comb hair, sewing, anything. it comes & goes, lasts for up to 2 hours.. more often when in bed. I sleep on my back w/tempurpedic mattress & pillow.
Neck problems - car accident, and osteo arthritis < finally diagnosed 1 yr ago. Hurting for 10 years w/ severe headaches. Scan shows prob w/ 4 of 7 vertebrae in neck: compressions, slight bony protusion, etc.
On oxycodone for pain, Soma for spasms, on meds for 2 years.
Hard time sleeping - wake up alot to pee, hungry - thirsty.
I am 34, Female, weight 159 lbs. I drink alot of Pepsi and there is a history of diabetes in family so i should cut back. Recent blood work shows no abnormalties.
I am not employed; mom, i sell on ebay, but lateley cant do much, feel extremly tired, sore, numb arms dont work well. my hubby is getting sick of it or me; i can tell.
Was seeing chiro, but havent been in for a few months. going back ASAP.
its getting worse.. now its almost all the time. the numbness started appx 1 yr ago. worsening since nov 1st.

is this caused by nerve - neck, or something else?
help. i feel dumb and numb and useless. and scared.

TRIED TO MAKE IT SHORT! SORRY
ANY IDEAS PLS REPLY.
YES, IM CALLING DOC NEXT WEEK.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2005, 06:43 AM   #2
(female)

wimpette HB User
Re: i have NUMBNESS IN BOTH ARMS, MORE OFTEN, ANY IDEAS WHY..Help

Sorry to hear you're going through so much pain - you'll get a lot of advice and support from members of this board who have experienced similar problems.

You say you've been seeing a chiro. If you really have nerve compression it sounds as though you should first have a full evaluation by a neurosurgeon or spinal orthopedic surgeon to determine what exactly is going on with your neck and if your symptoms are explained by a recent MRI. They can then determine what should be done - nerve blocks and physical therapy are often very helpful depending on what your underlying problem is.

The second thing is you say you do stuff on e-bay. That means being at a computer screen which can be hard on your neck and arms. Make sure your screen is at a good height and you are in a comfortable position. Many of us with neck problems wear a soft collar while in front of the computer to ease stress on the neck - see if that also helps.

Good luck, let us know how you're doing.
W

Old 11-27-2005, 10:55 AM   #3
(male)

dootag HB User

Hi sjr,

I guess your neck is wishing you Happy Holidays a bit early. Really sorry. Wimpette hit the nail right on the head. I'm no doctor but I would give you a tip my Dr. passed on to me a long time ago. First of all it might help to get rid of the pillow, maybe just a sweatshirt or such.

Now for the tip - I can't guarantee anything but you might try it. Your call.
When it starts, lay face down on your bed. Let your head hang over to the bed to the extent that your chin is touching and supporting the angle of your head/neck. You might have to experiment with various positions. Try laying there for a few minutes.

See if that gives you some relief. It is sort of a poor man's traction. Don't force anything, just let the weight of your own head work for you. It works great for me. It's not the solution but it might mitigate the situation until you can get real relief from the Dr.

dootag

Last edited by dootag; 11-27-2005 at 10:57 AM.

Old 11-28-2005, 06:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I really do think that getting yourself to a good neurosurgeon would be the next step here,really.if this is not corrected the nerve damage will reult in alot of permanent problems for you.when any nerve is compressed for a good length of time,it will eventually die if not released,really.this really has gone on way too long aleady and i am sure you are getting to the end of your tolerance with all of this by now.i really would try and stay away from the chiros,personally,I would never ever let them do anything to my c spine area as this area is much more heavily innervated and the possible damage to the arterys and veins that pass thru there is very high.I would get to a NS as soon as possible to be fully evaluated as to your current status.how old is your last MRI? if it was done many months ago you should probably get a much newer updated one.please let us know how things go,K?Marcia

Closed Thread