It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2006, 09:00 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User
What to expect after C4/5 fusion?

I finally have the date and it falls when my husband wants to take a out of town school the next week. And if I didn't have a soon to be 5m old I may not mind but I do and he will be 6m and about 18 or so pounds. We also have horses, dogs and cats to care for and no family within 5 hours. That said. He seems to think I will be able to do it all 4 days post surgery. I have no idea if I could.. So I am asking you all. That includes lifting my boy often, driving, feeding hay, cleaning stalls and on and on. I thought about his mom coming but she can not see well enough to drive.............Thanks

Old 01-12-2006, 01:34 PM   #2
(female)

CTmom HB User
Re: What to expect after C4/5 fusion?

I had C6-7 fusion almost two years ago. Not to scare you, but the recuperation for this is not a walk in the park. I was told not to lift anything greater than a milk jug for 4 weeks. (Couldn't because of muscle weakness in my arms after surgery anyway.) Could not drive for 2 weeks. And I did not wear a collar after surgery, which would have limited me even more. Furthermore, I did not feel like doing any of these things. Your body will need time to heal. Four days is nowhere near enough. Four weeks is more realistic and it was a full six months before I felt back to normal, activity-wise. You will need to get help caring for your son and will need to pamper yourself for awhile. If your husband really can't be there, try to find a neighbor, friend, etc... to at least take your son for the majority of the day and stop over to help out. Expect difficulty sleeping comfortably. Expect some strange new pains as the nerves begin to repair themselves. If you are on pain meds. you may not want to be solely responsible for your child anyway (They always make me really sleepy and I was afraid I'd fall asleep and they'd get hurt.) There are some great old threads on this board about ways to prepare yourself and your household for surgery, but please take it easy. Expect some painful muscle spasms if you try to overdo it (and possibly even if you don't). Also, recognize that you may never want risk lifting very heavy objects that may strain your back, as fusion places stress on adjacent discs and you don't want to have this surgery more than once if you can avoid it. Take a look at other posts on this board to get a good picture of what to expect and best of luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2006, 01:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User
Re: What to expect after C4/5 fusion?

Thanks I am trying to get some opinions so I can sit him down to read this. I had a decompression laminectomy C6/7 in 2002 and had to go with him out of town within 3 days since he was deploying overseas. I can tell ya I was in tons of pain and had to drive 4 hours home alone. Not the smartest in hindsight. I still have pains from the nerve compression C6/7 and lots of spasms all over my arms and shoulders. I do appreciate your response. I think he despite his desire he will have to pass on this school. I already scheduled the surgery around the original date of the class and then they changed it. Thanks again

Closed Thread