It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
3 days post 2nd acdf

I have posted here on and off, I am 3 days post op for a hardware removal at c4-6, and a new acdf c6-7 with plating, donor bone. My surgery took 3 hours, because of the previous scar tissue but i feel great all things considered. The one thing that is worrying me is surgeon said if my arm/chest pain don't improve with this surgery, then my stenosis needs to be addressed and next decision is whether to pursue a posterior lamniectomy (sp) and need to cross the thoracic junction? Is that bad?

Anyone here gone the similar route, tried the acdf's then ended up with the laminectomy? Thanks and be well.

Old 05-08-2006, 08:39 PM   #2
(male)

BobM HB User
Re: 3 days post 2nd acdf

Hello AZ
I had a similar experience on the ACDF, except I had C5/6/7 first, and then C4/5, about a year later.

Glad to hear you are doing well - I had a little easier time on #2, but I don't know if it was because of only 1 level, or maybe I'm getting good at this.

I have not had the foraminectomy, but you mention that you had/have some chest pain. Could you describe this pain? I also had chest pain, and actually ended up in the ER 3 months ago, getting checked out for a heart attack. Everything checked out OK - no heart problems - but also no explanation for the chest pain. So, I'm interested in knowing more about what you are experiencing, if you are up to writing about it. I'm wondering if problems in the C-spine could be related to the chest pain that got me into the ER.

Good luck on your recovery, and I hope things clear up and you avoid any more surgery
Bob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2006, 07:19 AM   #3
Inactive

dennisgb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM
Hello AZ
I had a similar experience on the ACDF, except I had C5/6/7 first, and then C4/5, about a year later.

Glad to hear you are doing well - I had a little easier time on #2, but I don't know if it was because of only 1 level, or maybe I'm getting good at this.

I have not had the foraminectomy, but you mention that you had/have some chest pain. Could you describe this pain? I also had chest pain, and actually ended up in the ER 3 months ago, getting checked out for a heart attack. Everything checked out OK - no heart problems - but also no explanation for the chest pain. So, I'm interested in knowing more about what you are experiencing, if you are up to writing about it. I'm wondering if problems in the C-spine could be related to the chest pain that got me into the ER.

Good luck on your recovery, and I hope things clear up and you avoid any more surgery
Bob
Bob,

I had chest pains that brought me to the ER for heart attack symptoms before my ACDF surgery. One time I was traveling and in Hotel room when I freaked. Front desk called ambulance.

Chest pain that mimics heart attack is pretty common with cervical problems. Along with arm numbness. If it's left side, it is very close to the symptoms of heart attack.

The one thing that always bugged me was, what if you are having a heart attack, and you think "Just my c-spine acting up again."

Dennis

Old 05-09-2006, 08:48 AM   #4
(male)

acdfouch HB User

I'm chiming in to say that I am yet another one of the chest pain from the cervical spine people as well.

And I basically am doing every damn thing that I can do possible to make sure that my heart is in the best condition it can be so that I can feel comfortable saying its not my heart.. Like I've said before - 2 years ago my LDL was 181 alone! Now, its 104. No drugs either. I'm very happy with the things I have done for myself. Just gotta keep doin em.

I think a "true" difference would be sweating / VERY short breath ... Those types of things. My father-in-law had two, and that was two things that stuck out in his mind... And jaw pain. He said it was if someone had punched him in the mouth.

Old 05-09-2006, 02:12 PM   #5
(male)

ThoreauFan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznativ
I have posted here on and off, I am 3 days post op for a hardware removal at c4-6, and a new acdf c6-7 with plating, donor bone. My surgery took 3 hours, because of the previous scar tissue but i feel great all things considered. The one thing that is worrying me is surgeon said if my arm/chest pain don't improve with this surgery, then my stenosis needs to be addressed and next decision is whether to pursue a posterior lamniectomy (sp) and need to cross the thoracic junction? Is that bad?

Anyone here gone the similar route, tried the acdf's then ended up with the laminectomy? Thanks and be well.
Hey Az,

Hate to see you worrying 3 days out, but I know how it goes.

You and your Dr.(s) know your situation and I don't. But it sounds as if your MRI indicated the possibility of some posterior issues. I wouldn't get yourself too stressed right now, because all sorts of things can show up on an MRI that do not require treatment.

I do know that the posterior ligament "buckling" into the space of the spinal cord is not uncommon. The surgeons can reach the foraminal areas, where the nerves actually vent off the spinal cord, from the front (anterior). Also, if there are bone spurs or disc issues creating spinal cord problems, they can be addressed anteriorly. But there's only one way to get to that posterior ligament.

Feelbad (Marcia) knows a great deal about the spinal cord tracts. It's pretty complex stuff. I don't know how your symptoms would correlate to posterior spinal cord tracts, but maybe Marcia or someone else knows something.

One of my fellow NS patients sharing the hospital suite had had the posterior procedure done the same day as my surgery. He had had the anterior procedure about eight months earlier. He was probably in his late sixties/early seventies and was doing well and in good spirits the next day. Although, obviously, these procedures aren't fun for anyone.

Hoping your recovery has as few bumps as possible!

Old 05-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sunshine221 HB User

As previously said - you are only a few days out - "take it slow" - interesting that you had ACDF with the thought that if that didn't work, then laminectomy - my NS took the opposite approach for my stenosis - laminectomy first and if it doesn't work ACDF later - every case and every dr is different.

Old 05-10-2006, 08:49 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

Hi all, thanks for the replies and support.

Sunshine - I have multiple issues, i had nerve root compression (radiculapthy at C6-7 with disk degeneration, significant osteophytes and some movement. The stenosis i have is congenital in the central canal. Multiple opinions agreed on the acdf approach. Once they were in at C6-7, they decided that possibly i most likely will need to take an additional road because they may not have created enough room with this approach to give me lasting comfort.

Going slow, limiting computer to less than hour a day total, resting and looking forward to the next week where i know i am going to feel lots better.

Talk to you all soon.

Old 05-10-2006, 08:55 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

BobM - chest pain was the first sign I had before my first acdf and sent me to ER and it was the the early symptoms of my 2nd round. It runs backside of arm under armpit into chest around nipple level in my right breast. Feels like a knife stabbing constant and doesn't change. I would never take it for granted, but I am going to guess true heart symptoms run a different course. Although i was originally screened for heart as well it was precautionary - everything was fine. MIne is on right side. Started in chest and then when into the arm soon after. And now I can clearly recognize this symptom but when i get it i make sure to not ignore it.

Closed Thread