It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2006, 06:28 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
neck injury adn swallowing????????

after suffering a neck injury back in may shortly after i started to have trouble swallowing especially if my head is back. for instance went to the dentist and as soon as he put the chair back i felt like i was choking and couldn't breathe. I have had an esaphogram done and my ENT has been down my throat twice already. no problems. just dx with an enlarged thyrroid but pcp doesn't think that's the cause. just did some research on swallowing problems and one of the causes seems to be cervical problems. i have 3 bulged disks, a pinched nerve at the C7, DDD and what all dr.s are saying is the worst is a lg bone spur compressing the cord & severe stenosis. i am now starting to think this swallowing is from my neck. could it be? anyone ever experience this or know anything of it? ortho and Pm dr.s are talking about surgery. i am petrified. also once i finally see the endo for thyroid i might need surgery on that. how many times can they cut your neck? any input?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2006, 09:17 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
Re: neck injury adn swallowing????????

We have some stuff in common, I have had dysphagia (swallowing/choking) problems, I have had multiple levels of problems and I also have a thyroid disease.

THere were times when I would lay down I felt like I was choking or when I eat food when I get horribly painful spasms in my esphogus. I had swallowing studies done and they found nothing and from the xrays etc they didn't see a pronounced swelling, but seems like it was related because these issues have improved post surgeries.

On your Thyroid - not sure if you are taking thyroid meds, but if you have nodules or a goiter that are benign, there is a possibility to shrink the thyroid a bit once properly treated with medication. My sister had to have her nodules taken out because they were suspicious, but they left mine in.

Good luck

Last edited by PNo; 08-05-2006 at 09:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2006, 10:40 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
Re: neck injury adn swallowing????????

neckpatient------we do have alot in common. everything seemed to happen after neck injury. thyroid was accidentally found. no i am not on meds yet. endo's are horrific to get in to see. my pcp wants an endo to treat me as i am also a diabetic. swallowing difficulty started at the same time. don't know if it's the enlarged thyroid choking me or the big bone spur in my neck pushing forward. i've had lots of studdies done and nothing seems to be wrong. i am going to ask PM dr. what he thinks about the neck issues. that's for helping me know i am not crazy. it is a horrible feeling of choking and not being able to breathe.

Closed Thread