It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
(female)

painfulneck HB User
Talking Re: Discogram scheduled Aug 11th 2006

Hey-Just to let you know I had a discogram a month ago. Mine was cervical. I has NO meds until my Rx was filled at drugstore. It really wasn't that bad. The worst part for me was having my neck in that awful uncomfortable position. Honestly that was the worst of it. As soon as the doc hit the right spot we all knew it and he quit. He xrayed it and a CT scan and I was on my way. I will be having ACF done on Aug 11th. Can anyone help me out with an estimate of hospital stay? Thanks P

Old 08-07-2006, 01:05 PM   #2
Inactive

dennisgb HB User
Re: Hospital stay length post op?

Most of the time it is just an overnight stay in the hospital.

Dennis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2006, 02:23 PM   #3
(female)

Lilacs&Lillies HB User

Hi

My stay for ACDF was just overnight, like what Dennis mentioned. It was booked as "in-patient" but my surgery was in the afternoon and my husband was there very early the next morning to bring me home, so it ended up being less than 24 hr. stay.

An acquaintance of mine who recently had the same surgery said her N.S. gave her the option of going home that night if she wanted to. She opted to stay b/c she is diabetic and wanted someone watching over her. I would not have felt comfortable coming home the same day.

It was w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l to wake up without pain down my arm, hand and fingers, but my neck and throat were very, very sore.

I hope you have an uneventful surgery and a smooth recovery.
Thinking of you. ~~
Lilac

Old 08-07-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Discogram scheduled Aug 11th 2006

I spent two nights in the hospital. I didn't sleep well the first night and was a bit worried about heading home after just one night so the surgeon suggested a second night. Most insurance companies will agree to 1-2 nights stay before needing further medical information to authorize a further stay (I found out 2 wk after my surgery I was pre-approved for 1-2 nights).

Karin
C5-C7 ACDF
5/18/07

Old 08-07-2006, 10:04 PM   #5
(male)

BobM HB User

I've had two ACDFs, both times I stayed over night and went home the following day about noon.

The first time, I wished I had stayed a 2nd night. I had a lot of pain from the surgery (the shoulder and arm pain were gone when I came to in recovery). I would have been better off with the pain meds the hospital could administer, and would have been more comfortable in the adjustable hospital bed, and wished I had stayed a 2nd day.

The second time was better, and it was not a problem to go home the next day.

Some people go home the same day, but it may be less risky to stay the 24 hours in case there are complications (not likely, but it does happen).

So, it may just depend on your experience, and how you are doing post-op.

Good luck!

Old 08-07-2006, 10:25 PM   #6
(female)

mthu2189 HB User

Hi there, l stayed in 2 nights after the ACDF but then thats in Australia.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:28 AM   #7
(female)

painfulneck HB User
Talking Re: Hospital stay length post op?

Thanks for all the info, you guys and gals are great. I just wanted to say to Monica that most definitely chest pain can be cervical disc related. It's one of my main complaints, the tightness and tenderness. Mine is C 5-6. Have it checked out. Thanks again. P

Old 08-09-2006, 07:41 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

sunshine221 HB User

I stayed two nights with my laminectomy. I could have left the next day, but I was dizzy in the morning when I sat in a chair and the hospital is an hour from my house. I didn't sleep well either night and they really didn't do much for me the second day, but I was glad I stayed over. Unlike the ACDF, the laminectomy cuts into bigger muscles so I had some upper body mobility issues that took a few weeks to heal to a workable level and about 9-10 months to really regain upper body strength.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:56 PM   #9
(female)

mthu2189 HB User

Hi there
Just had a myelogram, and am never having that again!! hit a never in my neck twice, and the pain shot down my left arm.... Its amazing, but how come l can feel so much neck and reffered pain in arm, and nothing show on a ct ctymelogram!! anyone with any answers? HELP i think l am going crazy!

Old 08-10-2006, 04:57 AM   #10
(female)

more HB User

I stayed two nights in the hospital. Mainly because the first day they would not let me have anything to eat after the surgery (surgery was at 9:00 and in room by 3:00). The only thing they would give me was ice to chew on for the sore throat. When they gave me breakfast in the morning one look at it and I got sick (luckily only water in stomach - much less pain - I know too much info). But the doctor came in looked at me and said one more night -- which was good because they also had not had me up and out of bed yet and they could monitor the antibiotics they gave better.

Last edited by more; 08-10-2006 at 04:58 AM.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:13 AM   #11
(female)

painfulneck HB User
Talking Re: Hospital stay length post op?

Hey everyone-Thanks for all the info, advice, etc. I will keep it in mind tomorrow morning as I have my ACF surgery. Talk to you all in time when I'm feeling up to it. P

Closed Thread