It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User
Horrible Neck pain from massage.

Last Friday I went and got a wonderful full body massage, I have never had one before. It felt so good at the time but I did have to ask her to go less strong on my neck as it was hurting. I woke up the next morning unable to turn my neck at all and am in horrible pain from it knots all over the place and a headache for 3 days now. I am icing it like mad, taking flexeril for the spasms. This pain is as bad when I was rear ended a few years ago and herniated a few disc in my neck. I can't believe I paid good money for this pain. Has anyone else ever gotten so sore after a massage. I am obviously very sensitive to massage as I also can't use jets in my hot tub on me at all or the same thing happens. I should have known!!

Last edited by slipperyslope; 08-15-2006 at 02:31 PM.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User
Re: Horrible Neck pain from massage.

I got my first massage last month and ended up the same way. Thank goodness for pain killers.

They say that the massage releases toxins and that can cause it.

I *am* going to get another one - from a different place to see if it helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2006, 05:24 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User

Wow, I thought it was just me! When my doc sent me to PT they tried, two of them at differant times to give me massages and I ended up with migraines everytime that lasted days. My doc finally had to write an order for them to stay away from my neck--which is what I was there for to begin with!! It's such a drag because it really does feel good at the time.

Old 08-16-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

scotty12 HB User

while it does feel good when your getting one,it always caused me more pain afterwards.i have gotten 3 massages since my back problems began and even if they go easy when working out some of the spasms the pain the next day is awful.

live and learn.ice on and off til it eases off.
feel better ,scott

Old 08-16-2006, 08:57 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I have had a massage 3 times since my ACDF on 5/18/06. I always tell the massage therapist to be relatively gentle with the neck (don't go for range of motion) but to work through any muscle tension issues that she sees. It seems to work.

I wll tell you that often people are sore after a massage as muscles are worked and toxins released. So feel free to let you massage therapist know what you want to avoid and to drink tons of water right after the massage.

Old 08-17-2006, 05:53 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sunshine221 HB User

I've been getting cranial-sacaral massages - its a technique to encourage the flow of spinal fluid - actually the therapist does a half hour traditional massage and then the cranial-sacaral --- she is very careful with my neck/spine because she knows my bones are "open" due to the laminectomy. I've had this four times now and only the second time I had some "tremors" after, so she's adjusted her technique to avoid that from happening again. This particular massage therapist is affiliated with a hospital sponsors "theraputic massage" business. You can do a web search for more info on the technique.

Old 08-18-2006, 12:52 PM   #7
(male)

jesses5 HB User

Yes this has happened to me many times...

Sounds like you have a case of delayed onset muscle soreness, similar to what weightlifters go through after tearing up muscle fibers. A good massage may tear some muscle fibers in order to open up knotted muscle. Unfortunately as you're seeing, your body may rebound.
To prevent this in the future, you should spend 15 or more minutes stretching before and after your massage. After the massage if you think you will have DOMS pain, you should use heat, ice, or alternating heat and ice on the spots that you know will have problems. Do another stretching session before sleep and after you wake up.

Heat, ice, stretching, muscle relaxers (soma, valium, whatever)

Last edited by moderator2; 08-18-2006 at 01:48 PM. Reason: if a word is asterisked out, then it is not allowed - edit your post to remove it, not change it to make it show

Old 08-18-2006, 01:03 PM   #8
Inactive

dennisgb HB User

Alternating hot and cold is very important. 10-15 minutes each. Don't do it for more than an hour and wait a few hours in between.

jesses5 is right on. This is just like excercising. If the muscles haven't been used, they will get sore. Over working muscles can cause problems too.

Closed Thread