It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2006, 04:13 PM   #1
(female)

Gerri54 HB User
Enlarged Spinal Canal at Sacrum and cyst

Hi Everyone

I am without a doctor. I am going over a MRI report of my spine. I have disk deterioration from L2-L5 and Osteopenia from L1-L4. I also have a birth defect of the lower spine (hairline fracture) at the disk, just above the pelvic bone. I have an Enlarged Spinal Canal at the Sacrum. At the same area is a cyst posterior, and left of the Thecal sac, and very close to spine. They think there is a thin layer separating spine from this cyst. This cyst measures 6.5 cm long, and 3 cm in diameter.

Should I be concerned about this cyst. I am experiencing a lot of pain. I have ongoing bladder problems.

Urologist diagnosed me with MS, but Neurologist say Lumbar Tap did not show MS, but have lesions in the brain.

I tested positive for HLA-B27 the gene for Ankylosing Spondilitis. I have other medical issues, and other arthritis(s).

Has anyone else had any problems with cyst at sacrum, what did your doctor advise you to do about it.

Gerri

Old 08-28-2006, 04:24 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Enlarged Spinal Canal at Sacrum and cyst

Gerri:

You should consider getting a referral to a neurosurgeon and/or orthopedic spine surgeon - they can review the MRI and give you a diagnosis and treatment plan.

Problems in the lumbar spine can cause bladder/bowel problems.

Karin
C5-C7 ACDF 05/2006
L4-S1 Fusion 05/1993

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2006, 08:36 PM   #3
(female)

Lilacs&Lillies HB User

Hi Gerri,

Don't know if yours are similar to mine... but I have 3 sacral cysts, two of which are quite large and erroding the bone around them. I was told mine are probably "Tarlov cysts." Some are incidental findings, found during investigation of other spinal pathology. Mine are considered "symptomatic" because they were diagnosed as perfect cause for the complaints I had. (extreme sacral pressure and sciatica) The neurosurgeon I was referred to scared me to death. Saying that working on them was like sewing wet tissue paper and I could end up with a permanent spinal fluid leak requiring a shunt, etc.

I have a new neurosurgeon now - who just did ACDF on me, but I haven't dicussed this with him yet. I am not open to surgery at this time so didn't bother discussing it. I have had pain & pressure problems for at least 5 years now, but I will not do surgery unless I do start to lose bowel or bladder control, as the risks he spelled-out far outweigh the potential for relief. I have heard of them being drained, but seems they fill right back up again. Maybe you don't have this same type, but you have my sympathy either way.

Take care,
Lilacs

Old 09-04-2006, 03:28 AM   #4
(female)

Gerri54 HB User

Hi Lilacs

Quote:
Saying that working on them was like sewing wet tissue paper and I could end up with a permanent spinal fluid leak requiring a shunt, etc.
It's funny (not), but interesting, I mention to my DH about the possibility if there was a permanent spinal fluid leak about requiring a shunt. I am not a doctor or nurse or anything like that. I have read where there is a possibility because of the size that it will have to be drained. They say that after having it drained it may take years before it refills and gets to the size it is now.

I have had bowel and bladder control problems off and on, but nothing permanent.

Your cysts sound so much like mine. I had to beg my ex-GP to send me to my ex-Rheumy, who lost my results for the MRI of this cyst. and diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia. It's after I asked for my medical report I found out about this cyst. As I haven't been to a neurosurgeon, or another Rheumy yet in regard to this cyst I can't tell you if it's symptomatic or what. Here in Canada you have to have a referral to a neurosurgeon and Rheumy. Because I don't have a GP I guess it won't be any time soon.

I will be trying at a walk-in-clinic to get a a referral.

Take Care
Gerri

Old 09-04-2006, 03:33 AM   #5
(female)

Gerri54 HB User

Hi Karin

Thanks for the response. I will be taking your advise, and hopefuly a doctor at a walk-in-clinic will be able to make that referral to a neurosurgeon. Here in Ontario there are very few doctors taking on patients, and I am without a doctor at moment.

Take Care
Gerri

Old 09-04-2006, 12:40 PM   #6
(female)

orchidflower24 HB User

Hi Gerri,

I agree with the recommendation to go to a neurologist who specializes in spine surgery. Also, it sounds like you need to have a discogram to determine the pain generator.

I am having spinal fusion surgery on September 12 to fuse L4-L5, after about 20 years of increasing lower back and leg
pain. I was, also, diagnosed with MS (over 40 lesions in the brain), in 1985, so my previous NEUROLOGIST did not
and a consult with a neurosurgeon in 2000 said the pain was coming from the MS. I have a lot of paresthesias, also, but, thank Jesus, no loss of function. My MS doc says
that the MS is causing me to feel ANY kind of pain more
intense than other people.

So, I implore those out there who have had spinal fusions
to please let me know what the pain was like healing after
surgery. I have been on morphine, long and short acting
for the last four years, and have cut it down 80% for the
surgery. However, I am reallly SCARED that my pain will
not be able to be managed.

Will someone please share your recuperation and pain management with me. Again, I am having surgery September 12.

Gerri, I talked to a lady last week who had a cyst, the size of a golfball removed, along with spinal fusion, and she told me she is doing so much better. (surgery was in June)

God bless everyone for sharing your stories...they have helped me so far!!!!

Lorelei

Old 09-04-2006, 02:34 PM   #7
(female)

Gerri54 HB User

Hi Lorelei

You will do alright with your surgery. I am glad your able to take pain meds. Most pain meds I am allergic to because they use sulfites and sulfates in them which I am highly allergic to.

If your able maybe your doctor will also order some atavan, for the first few days out of surgery. It is a sedative, it will also help you sleep.

The doctors will make sure they give you enough meds to help you with pain. They will not send you home without good pain meds.

So don't stress, you will be well taken care of by your doctors, family and friends.

In the next month I will likely have the surgery to remove an adrenal gland. Then they will likely do something with this cyst on my spine at the sacrum. In the last 2 years I have about 5 surgeries. They get easier to deal with.

You will have to let us know how you are doing. I will say extra prayers, that you will have little pain, and that the surgery goes will.

You take Care

Hugs Gerri

Old 09-05-2006, 05:42 AM   #8
(female)

orchidflower24 HB User

Hi Gerri!

It's early, but I just had to write you back and thank you
for your encouraging words.

I will write back after my surgery.

God bless you....Lorelei

Closed Thread