It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sahuja12 HB User
Numb Fingers and Cervical MRI? Help!

So my fingers on my right hand have been numb for a month now. And they hurt. It doesnt even go on and off. They have just been...well...NUMB continuously! Its really bothersome! My shoulder and forearm hurts as well. Doc had an EMG done which was normal. So now wants to have a cervical MRI done. What could the cervical MRI diagnose?? DO you think he should have one done of the head as well?? And he prescribed me a course of steroids as well. And he said if the MRI (and bloodwork I had done today) doesnt show anything, I probably had some virus and he is "confident" if will resolve itself...What kind of virus causes your hand to go numb??!! I am so frustrated not knowing whats wrong! And my hand feels like a sausage! BTW, I am 27 years old and female.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2006, 02:23 PM   #2
(female)

NAPPSIE HB User
Re: Numb Fingers and Cervical MRI? Help!

Well, offhand I can think of numerous things, and none of them is a virus!!! MS, pinched nerve, carpal tunnel, cubital tunnel (maybe spelled that one wrong). Don't settle for no diagnosis for a diagnosis. Push to see a neurologist if your dr cannot help you. My husband's first signs of MS were numbness. I have personally had carpal tunnel and that causes pain as well as numbness. I don't feel your doctor is being thorough enough. Plus, the herniated disc I have presently causes numbness. So you could be dealing with numerous problems, even at your young age.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2006, 02:53 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Sahuja12 HB User

Well, he ruled out carpal and cubital tunnel and pinched nerve from the normal EMG. I agree he is not thorough enough. Spends like 2 minutes with me! Would a cervical MRI diagnose MS or would you have to have an MRI of the brain to do that?

Old 08-31-2006, 09:03 PM   #4
(male)

NYD HB User

Seeing that it is just fingers it would seem to point to a nerve root. I had alot of numbing prior to ACDF 2 weeks ago but I don't have much now.

This needs to diagnosed ASAP!!!

Good Luck.

Cameron
ACDF C5/6

Old 08-31-2006, 09:27 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sunshine221 HB User

I believe you need a brain MRI with contrast to diagnose MS,. Good luck.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:30 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Sahuja12 HB User

Thanks. My MRI is Sunday and he did all this blood work, meaning if I am lucky he MAY contact me end of next week. Either way my follow up is MOnday Sept 11, and if it is not not better by then, I will go to a neuro on my own for a second opinion...Numbness to me seems liek something to look at seriously, not dismiss and say it will go away on its own cause he has no idea what is causing it..Hasnt yet and it hurts!

Old 09-01-2006, 11:54 AM   #7
(female)

NAPPSIE HB User

I still think it could be carpal tunnel. I'm pretty sure the emg shows the level of damage..... If this is a new symptom, maybe no actual damage has been done yet. I could be wrong. Either way, I agree something is causing a problem with your nerve and that's not to be ignored. Good luck, and it's necessary for you to be your own advocate here, and pursue until you feel comfortable with your diagnosis. Take care...

Old 09-01-2006, 09:36 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Your symptoms are very similar to what I had, and it was deemed to be caused by the cervical disc hernination. I then had a C5-C7 ACDF on 5/18/06. Though there is still some numbness (nerves take a long time to heal) the symptoms improved a great deal after the surgery.

Karin

Last edited by SpineAZ; 09-01-2006 at 09:37 PM.

Old 09-04-2006, 06:51 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suzy-Q HB User

Hello-
Just thought I'd jump in to say I agree there are several possible spinal or nerve related explanations. I also had total numbness in my left fingers (mostly thumb and index finger) and pain in my fore arm and aching down my arm from my neck. MRI showed C5-6 herniation and spodylosis causing stenosis and ...pain. If you don't have the images, you don't have the cause - In my opinion. MRI is a must. Best of luck - Suzy-Q

Closed Thread