It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2006, 07:29 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sahuja12 HB User
Anyone take Medrol for arm numbness?

I was prescribed a course of Steroids, Medrol for a week to help with my finger/hand numbness. Am almost done with the course and hasnt helped. Anyone have any experience with Medrol?

Old 09-06-2006, 08:30 AM   #2
(male)

Jimmy B HB User
Re: Anyone take Medrol for arm numbness?

YES !!
I was prescribed the same dose pak you are referring to, however, I felt some immediate relief after just the first day. The nerve pain in my left arm died down quite a bit after I started taking the Medrol. I still have the left thumb, forefinger and forearm numbness you are talking about... but the pain has dropped significantly. Everyone reacts different to medication, but I can tell you that the Medrol did help with the nerve pain, but not the numbness.

I'm pretty sure all this medication does is reduce swelling and therefore give some relief to the pinched nerve. From what I have heard, the numness in the fingers and thumb is the last thing to come back once your body is on the road to recovery. My 1 week dose pak ran out about 2 weeks ago and now I am just taking the normal Norco/Ibuprofin combo along with PT to help reduce my symptoms. Surgery is inevitable for me due to moderate stenosis and disk herniation, however, the pain has been manageable as of late.

Don't worry... your numbness will more than likely go away at some point. Just make sure to have a doc or PT monitor your strength in that arm regularly. Losing strength is more of a concern than the numbness itself. You don't want to wait too long cause then you can risk some permanent damage.

Take care - Jimmy B.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2006, 08:39 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Sahuja12 HB User

Hi, Thanks...

Yeah so far really no relief. My shoulder still hurts and my numb fiingers really bother me at work when I am typing. Hasnt taken down the swelling in my right palm either ALL of the fingers on my right hand are numb and its very annoying and painful to type at work. Alleve and ibuprofins dont even help. Well will get my MRI and blood results next monday so i guess I will know then! I am really hoping they find something not cause I want something to be wrong,but I just want to know what is causing this and stop having doc appts to figure it out! He said "If the Medrol does work, it will help me to figure out whats causing it." So what if it doesnt?? What does that mean?

Old 09-07-2006, 04:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

the diagnostic part of this that your doc was referring to is being able to tell if at least some of your problems are stemming from inflammation.the medrol is a pretty strong steriod and normally,if there is any actual inflammation going on,it will calm it down quite well.so i am thinking if you haven't had any change in your actual symptoms,well they are not stemming from any actual inflammation.now he can move on to other types of testing.does that make any sense?it is just being used in your particular case just to rule in or out inflammation.i have used this many times over the past five years for my c spine and my knee and it usually will work great for some of my inflammatory pain.hopefully they will eventually be able to tell you just what is causing your bizarre symptoms.marcia

Old 09-07-2006, 09:48 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Sahuja12 HB User

What could possibly be going that would not be from an inflammation? Any ideas?

Closed Thread