HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Spinal Cord Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/spinal-cord-disorders/)
-   -   Flu like back pain after PT worked on trigger points (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/spinal-cord-disorders/433331-flu-like-back-pain-after-pt-worked-trigger-points.html)

Dutchgirl 09-30-2006 09:25 PM

Flu like back pain after PT worked on trigger points

Sorry, but I have to whine whine whine, because I canít do anything else, and that includes laying down. I am aching so very bad tonight.:eek: My PT worked on my million trigger points on Friday. The trigger points are all over my neck, and shoulder blades, and even the lower back. You know how you get that achy flu feeling in your backÖ. that is how my back, neck, and arms feel. It also tingles. Does that mean it is healing? Iím pretty sure that part or all of this is normal, because I am using muscles that I havenít used for years, but I am not quite sure how to calm it down. Iíve tried heat, and I am taking pain killers, and I am trying to drink a lot of water, but it still aches so bad (like a bad toothache). About how long does it take to heal muscles that have been screwed up for 3 years?

Iíve also noticed that when I take a deep breath in, that is when my neck cracks.

ICC 10-01-2006 05:59 AM

Re: Flu like back pain after PT worked on trigger points

DUTCHGIRL----- i had triger poin tinjections in my trapezius muscles that were a God send. i always noticed when i have a massage especially deep in the muscles that i hurt like all get out for days sometimes longer. eventually they do loosen everything up.:wave:

Dutchgirl 10-01-2006 10:53 AM

ICC,

Thanks that's helpful info. Who did the injections? I took Valium last night, and that at least knocked me out, but then I end up sleeping on my sides (which I can't really do). Right now I am still in just as much pain, and my hands are numb, and I can barely turn my head. The PT that worked on me, is real good at finding every little knot in my back, but maybe it's too much too early? I just want someone to knock me out!

ICC 10-02-2006 03:17 AM

i hear you DUTCHGIRL***** haven't alept right in so long i don't remember. my rheumatologist did mine.

ember919 10-07-2006 08:57 AM

Dutchgirl,
I always ached after the PT had worked on my neck & shoulders. If I iced afterwards, it helped, but I'd still feel sore ("flu-like" was a good description) the rest of the day. Sometimes I really had to think twice about whether the soreness was worth it, but in the end the answer was always YES.

Are you taking muscle relaxers?

Dutchgirl 10-07-2006 01:12 PM

[QUOTE=ember919]Dutchgirl,
I always ached after the PT had worked on my neck & shoulders. If I iced afterwards, it helped, but I'd still feel sore ("flu-like" was a good description) the rest of the day. Sometimes I really had to think twice about whether the soreness was worth it, but in the end the answer was always YES.

Are you taking muscle relaxers?[/QUOTE]

Hi Ember919,

Thanks for telling me that in the end it was worth it. I have 2 PT's, and one of them is really gentle and worried that he will aggrevate things, and the other one is really good at finding every little knot in my neck and all the way down to my lower back. I'm usually in a lot of pain after the PT that finds every little knot works on my back. This week they have just tried to calm everything down, and worked very little on my back. I like the heat and ice, but for some reason the tens unit (at least the pads that they put on my neck) now stings, before the surgery it didn't bother me.

My NS just barely gave me muscle relaxers, but they turn me into a zombie. I thought they would also help me sleep, but nooooo I was up until 4:00 AM last night. For some reason I cannot sleep anymore. I used to fall asleep by 10:30.

boxer_dog_luv 10-10-2006 12:06 PM

Hi DutchGirl,

I just had my first round of PT three weeks ago. Your description was excellent. I was worse after the PT than before; my hands and arms would be numb in the a.m. My former-family doc said he doesn't believe in muscle relaxers. He has been a real quack and I am in the process of waiting for an appt. to find a new care provider. My ex-doc flat out didn't believe my arms, hands could be numb. I am so glad that you included that in your symptoms. We are not alone in our symptoms.

The PT people did heat & Tens x 15 mins, deep tissue massage and could hit knots all over and make me wince, and the second week did extreme ROM and flexibility of the torso and neck which seemed to reproduce all the symptoms that I had before my ACDF in '04 (C5-6 and C6-7). I felt like PT was aggravating and bringing me down; this was prompted by a car accident. I never had PT after my orig. surgery. Good luck!

Dutchgirl 10-11-2006 11:35 PM

Hi Boxer_dog_luv,

I know exactly what you mean. My arms and [B]ESPECIALLY[/B] my hands would go ([I]and still do[/I]) completely numb. I also told my NS about my hands going numb ([I]which actually happened while I was talking to him on the phone for 5 min.[/I]), and he also said: ďhmmm I donít know why your hands would go numb?Ē :rolleyes: Itís really true what my therapist told me! Most neurologist have no clue that the muscles have to be retrained and heal after such a big surgery.

I did too feel like PT was aggravating everything, but once they slowed down, things became better. Too much too soon is not good. I have been doing better, and I have more good days than bad days now. Although it still takes very little to aggravate everything. Tonight I was at work, and this customer wanted me to send him an email with all this info. I typed for about 10 min. and my arm and shoulder started burningÖ.. now it hurts, but Iím sure that it will calm down again.

How is your energy level? Mine is still terrible, and it takes me forever and a day to go anywhere. Uggghh I hate that part. I want to exercise so bad, but I know that I canít yet. Good Luck to you too, and hang in there. :)

Take care,

boxer_dog_luv 10-12-2006 09:17 AM

I am trying to conserve energy to focus on what really matters. I am going through a lot of emotion now--suffering loss of car, energy, ability to workout, disappointment and loss of family doc. The bills! I followed the advice of the family doc to the letter for 2 visits--took the Vicodin 24/7 without question, did the PT and complied fully, and when I didn't go away/have symptoms that resolved in 6 weeks, my doc said it was all in my head & put me on Prozac and Xanax. Yes, I complied and deep down hoped that he was right. No change - I can't get comfortable to lay down and fall asleep. After about 3-4 nights like this, I get maybe 3 hrs. of sleep at a time and my back wakes me up hurting-same spot. After my neck surgery in '04, I slept like a baby all night long until the alarm clock sounded. That is my habit. Your symptoms sounded so familiar; car rides really set me back for a couple of days--the vibrations.

I would rather live in pain without the insulting family doc so I did not return and am waiting for a complete physical to start anew. Trying to figure out how to handle the new doc wants the old records? I felt like my family doc even threatened to "blackmail" me in a sense that he flipped my chart and said that I was treated for depression back in 2000--crying, shaking, couldn't sleep, thoughts racing, loss of interest in activities. I told him that that was entirely different; I had no physical complaints and was being harassed on the job every day by a female power boss. That was a very specific job situation that likely will never repeat itself. The woman in question climbed over the bodies to advance herself & is long gone and fortunately I was not one of her casualities. She had a real "plantation" mentality--get rid of anybody as smart as she considered herself and had told everyone that I was to be transferred, of course, behind my back. From that experience, I learned the good guy doesn't always win, keep a stiff upper lip, and go with the flow even if it means finding a new job. Stuff happens. I was crushed at the time but I recovered. Take care.

Dutchgirl 10-13-2006 05:11 AM

[QUOTE=boxer_dog_luv]I am trying to conserve energy to focus on what really matters. I am going through a lot of emotion now--suffering loss of car, energy, ability to workout, disappointment and loss of family doc. The bills! I followed the advice of the family doc to the letter for 2 visits--took the Vicodin 24/7 without question, did the PT and complied fully, and when I didn't go away/have symptoms that resolved in 6 weeks, my doc said it was all in my head & put me on Prozac and Xanax. [/QUOTE]

I was just reading over your accident post again, and I feel soooo bad that your going through so much. I completely understand the emotions that you are going through, and I remember the week where I just cried over anything and everything. I also completely understand the bill thing! I just had to borrow money from family again, and I am behind on everything + human resources screwed up my short term disability check. Thatís OK, Iíll just transfer any calls that I get from my mortgage co. directly to their extension! I also feel guilty that I cannot work full-time yet, but itís just too hard still.

Yesterday I had soooo many knots again, and when the PT pushed on the one under my ear I about jumped off the table. He worked on my neck and back for quite a while, so I was in a lot of pain last night, and had a terrible headache (which I have not had since before surgery). This morning is a little better.

That makes me so mad that your family doc said it is all in your head, and then gives you anti-depressants ohhhhÖ :mad: I am really happy that you are seeing someone new! I know itís frustrating to have to tell someone new everything that has been going on, but it will be worth it. Iíve changed doctors many many times. I pay for the insurance, and I at least want someone who is understanding, and who can think outside the medical book that says if you have this symptom, then it must be this.

Iím sorry about your old job situation. Iíve been in those situations too. Sometimes the best thing is to just start over. I was fired from my last job while I was on workers comp due to an injury, and the boss had never liked me from day one! She was just looking for a reason to fire me. I do believe that everything happens for a reason (although Iím still trying to figure out what the reason is for my spine problems), but I have a much better job now, and they are more understanding then the last job that I had. Are you currently working?

Hang in there, and take care of yourself. Let me know what your new family doc says. :angel:

BigMac 10-13-2006 11:52 AM

When I have the trigger points injected......my neck and back feel good...PT and deep tissue massage are WAU different!
My present Physical med. Doc wanted me to have deep tissue massage to see if it would help loosen the muscles and hopefully if any nerves were intrapped they would be 'loosened.(I guess that is the right term).............I've had two massages so far....I felt great the afternoon and evening after the massages but woke up at night in real bad pain......radiating down the arms and legs plus the torso muscles were so stiff I could barely move or breath................after about 4-5 days the first one eased off but i still have radiating pain, numbenss and pain...............I had the second one and the therapist said she was 'much easier' it's been three days now and I still have muscle stiffness and pain.
This pain is like any pain I had before my neck injuries and fusions and also with any low back flare-ups. I'm not sure to continue with this once a week massage or not.......I'm having a lot of pain in the hips and legs...........and chest muscles.., my neck is stiff with burning........Don't know what to do.........the DOC will probably say give it some time............I'm just not sure any treatment should hurt this much.
B. MAC

ICC 10-14-2006 04:51 AM

good morning all------i also have severe cervical problems. no surgery yet. also see a rheumatologist for possible fibro. he is the one who has given me the trigger oint injections. and yes they have helped immensly with the trapezious pain and knotting. asked him if i could get a massage and he said as long as it's not a deep muscle one. i remembered having one years ago and was in more pain than before for about 2 weeks.

Dutchgirl 10-15-2006 10:26 AM

[QUOTE=BigMac]When I have the trigger points injected......my neck and back feel good...PT and deep tissue massage are WAU different! I'm just not sure any treatment should hurt this much.
B. MAC[/QUOTE]
Hi BigMac,

I feel your pain! Depending on how many and how bad the trigger points are you can be sore for several days. Where the trigger point injections not loosening the knots up? Iíve only had the trigger point injections at the base of my skull (occipital), and it only helped for a couple of hours.

The first time I had deep tissue massage I stood up, and was dizzy, my ribcage hurt, and it was hard to breath. I also felt like I had been hit by a truck, and I was so so sore all over for several days. The next time I went in they took it much easier, and over time increased the intensity of the massage. All I can tell you is that over time the trigger points will loosen up. I just had another really intense deep massage last Friday, and I had a smashing headache all night. I was real worried that I would be really sore later on like the last time, but the next day it wasnít so bad. I did have burning and radiating pain in my shoulders and forearms, but that is now gone too.

I never thought that I would have so many muscle problems after surgery! :eek:

Gentle stretching, heat and drinking a lot of water are helpful. Good posture is very important. I notice when I start slouching that I end up in pain, and my shoulders start cramping up.

Hang in there itís a frustrating and slow process, but it will get better. :)