It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2006, 10:59 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
Neck fusion surgery and bone spurs

For those of you who had fusion surgery in the neck: do you know if they can address bone spurs when they do this surgery?
Thanks!

Old 11-17-2006, 02:51 PM   #2
(female)

looksee1 HB User
Re: Neck fusion surgery and bone spurs

I haven't had mine yet, but all three neurosurgeons I saw said that they file them down when they take the smushed disc out. Hope this helps. Nice visual, though, ain't it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Filing the spurs down sounds good to me! hah.

Old 11-18-2006, 02:16 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User
Exclamation Re: Neck fusion surgery and bone spurs

Absolutely they can take them babies out and will if you are having surgery! I had stenosis due to bone spurring that was hooked shaped. It was causing numbness tingling burning, loss of function in my legs and left hand. I had a ACDF on Nov. 7th to remove the spurring. It was pinching up on my spinal cord and that nerve right near the spinal cord apparently -aka: myelopathy and radiculopathy. My legs haven't given out on me since surgery

Last edited by PearlDoves; 11-20-2006 at 10:11 AM.

Old 11-18-2006, 08:27 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

They can drill them down but I have also discovered they can grow back. How do you like that!

Old 11-18-2006, 10:30 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User

great.

well, in my case though a lot of that spurring was already there... genetic or whatnot and then after my car accident - that started the kyphosis so I started to feel problems then.

Old 11-19-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
(female)

Janatee HB UserJanatee HB User

Hello PearlDoves... I saw your reply about the neck fusion, and I hope you can help ME. I had Decompressive Lumbar Laminectomy in 2003. That operation helped, BUT I still have the numb, burning, heavy and can hardly walk at times. New Doc says its coming from the neck? When I bend at the waist a few times, my legs get stiff, and I have to sit or lay down for awhile until I can move again. Before I commit:confused to the neck operation, I will have one more MRI on my lower back (they did not do this the last time, only my neck and head). My question to you is, were your legs or leg heavy, did you have a bad time walking? Did your legs feel like they would freeze up?? After you neck operation, how was your throat. I know it was sore, but how about swallowing? Did you have a donor bone for the fusion. What ever you can tell me, please do. I need some answers soon. It looks like I will be having another operation, but I need to know just what and where the trouble is coming from. Thank you so much for any help you can give me... Good luck on your recovery. Sounds like you are doing much better... Janatee

Old 11-19-2006, 12:31 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janatee
were your legs or leg heavy, did you have a bad time walking? Did your legs feel like they would freeze up?? After you neck operation, how was your throat. I know it was sore, but how about swallowing? Did you have a donor bone for the fusion.
Absolutely it can be your cervical spine! I had heaviness in both legs and both arms but mostly on my left arm and leg. I got really scared when I was at work one day and I could not get up out of my chair - my legs simply would not work! THEN when I was trying to make it out to the car so that someone could drive me home, my legs kept giving out on me... I would never completely fall, but it was really strange.

Swallowing was werid; right after surgery when I would swallow it would sound like there was air wooshing in my ear, but it cleared up by the next day. I mostly had soups and things like jello and oatmeal in the hospital. I tried a muffin and I did okay with it, but then it got a bit stuck... same was when I tried a soft tuna sandwhich, but over all it wasn't that bad. Right now I'm having some problems, but it might be because of something else going on in my upper neck spine that I was aware of, but might be acting up now that I have the lower part of my neck corrected. But a few days ago, my swallowing was pretty darn good, I generally had no complaints.

My doc did something different than what yours sounds like he wants to do. For me he took something called a cage (i think) which is a peice of plastic that is open in the middle. Then he took bone chips accumulated durring the surgery and put that in the center along with probably atibiotics and such and then he taps into place between the two vertebra and closed it off with a titanium plate and screws to keep in in place. He said he's been doing these and its been working out really well. In this way you don't have to worry about a bone donor or having them take bone from your hip. I was all ready to volunteer my hip but since he was doing that - I thought that was pretty nifty.

I do know from my own research though that 1) the patients who get it taken from their hip complain more about their hip then their neck after surgery BUT 2) its also the better option in many sense because there are still potentially active cells in YOUR bone that can help encourage the bones to fuse and 3) (I Think) you have a higher sucessful fusion rate with your own bone than with a donor. Sometimes fusion will not occur. Fusion in general takes 6 weeks to 3 months I think and in the case of a bone graft I think it continues to mature and grow over the next couple of years.

You will not be able to take NSAIDS 1 week prior to surgery and in the months after surgery.. this is stuff like motrin, ibuprofen, advil. And if you are a smoker you MUST STOP because both of these things can and often WILL inhibit fusion from happening. But you may already know this from your previous surgery. I hope this information helps.

Last edited by PearlDoves; 11-19-2006 at 12:39 PM.

Old 11-19-2006, 01:36 PM   #9
(female)

Janatee HB UserJanatee HB User

Thank You for your reply. You have answered many of my concerns. I just want to be super sure this is the way to go. Doc did tell me, when this gets worse, the possibility of falling will happen. My good friend had her neck done and was out of the hospital in 2 days. She had a speedy recovery and hardly had any pain at all. I too was told of the bone from the hip, and the pain from that would last much longer then the donor bone. I will decide on that if I go there. I know something has to be done soon. Its getting worse. I have ok days, and then I have bad days. The bad ones last for 2-3 days, then I feel a bit better till the next time. I really have lost the quality of life from this, and I don't think I can go on much longer..... I'm just scared. I did real good with the back operation , and I just took each day as it came to get better... I guess I will do the same once more. Thank you again. Janatee

Old 11-20-2006, 10:20 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User

as they say "Time is Nerve" the longer you wait the more potential for damage there can be.

Closed Thread