It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2007, 12:52 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
Surgery on 1/10. Need advice about getting help

HI all,
Quick question. I am having my ACDF (C5-C7, allograph) on Jan. 10th. My husband has a mandatory work conference he has to attend from Jan 16th-21st. I know its not the best timing, but I wanted to grab the first make up date for my surgery, since the blizzard cancelled my last one. Can you tell me if I will need to hire a person to come in to help me or will I be OK on my own starting 6 days after the surgery? (not a nurse....just a home-helper person). I have no kids at home (empty nester..I am 50.) and my ex husband will keep the dog for me (since we share her for the last 8 yrs. haha dont ask). It will just be me here.
Thanks!
Sue

Old 01-03-2007, 02:28 PM   #2
Inactive

dennisgb HB User
Re: Surgery on 1/10. Need advice about getting help

You should be alright, but you should have someone that can help you in an emergency, and drive you if you need to go somewhere.

Dennis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2007, 07:04 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I had my surgery on a Thursday, came home Saturday, and was self-sufficient by Sunday. If anything you may need a friend or relative to be "on call" if you need something from the pharmacy, the store, etc.

Just make sure you are prepared for his absence - things like make sure milk is not in a gallon jug but in a size you can handle, all the foods or meds you may need are within reach without needing to bend too much or reach too much, etc. Since he's only gone 5 days you shouldn't worry about housework, laundry, etc.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
(male)

NYD HB User

It's just the food and bathroom trips that you have to face. I got little meals pre-made in tupperware and just did "heat and eat' mode. You will not need to do any housework during this time. Just focus on finding a comfy position to lay down and lounge.

Good luck

Old 01-03-2007, 11:14 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User

Becareful of stairs! if you have an upper level bedroom perhaps make your new found bed on the couch and look out for area rugs. I did okay with stairs, but it can still be a bit scarry, use the railing! You might be a little weak after surgery, especailly depending on how much you are doing. Don't push yourself too hard, listen to your body.

Last edited by PearlDoves; 01-03-2007 at 11:15 PM.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Thanks so much for all your input! I really appreciate it alot

Closed Thread