It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
(female)

ShepherdLady HB User
Red face Involuntary Muscle Movement

Hey all,

Was wondering if any of you have experienced involuntary muscle movement?

I was trying to get to sleep last night when both shoulders moving forward on their own. Then a hand would move, then feet and then my whole body. Each time it happens, it happens very fast. I am not talking about just a simple twitch, but major movement. I am just really noticing things now and this is just very weird!

Last edited by ShepherdLady; 01-08-2007 at 06:31 PM. Reason: spelling, LOL

Old 01-08-2007, 06:42 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User
Re: Involuntary Muscle Movement

have you had a surgery recently, I'm sorry I can't remember

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2007, 06:53 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User

Okay, I understand from your other post that you are waiting for surgery.

You could be having bad muscle spasms due to your spinal problem. I would highly recommend calling your surgeon and letting him know about it in case he has other insights or wants to put you on a muscle relaxer.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
(female)

ShepherdLady HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlDoves
Okay, I understand from your other post that you are waiting for surgery.

You could be having bad muscle spasms due to your spinal problem. I would highly recommend calling your surgeon and letting him know about it in case he has other insights or wants to put you on a muscle relaxer.
>>

These aren't what I would call muscle spasms. Those hurt. This doesn't hurt at all. It is like different areas of my body are moving and I am not telling them to do it. If that makes sense.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:40 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sunshine221 HB User

yes - I had a lot of that sort of "tremors" before surgery. Now pretty much just my right ring finger moves with a mind of its own and ocassionally I'll get a twitch elsewhere.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:16 AM   #6
(female)

quilter58 HB User

I too have had twiches, and what i call "star bursts" of pain in my muscles.....the pain comes on intense, quick and then gone........
Makes you wonder at all the nerves can do.......

Old 01-11-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
(male)

avglenn HB User

Yes I get these quite frequently, on a day to day basis, some days worse than others. Its like different parts of my body will jerk quickly, not painful, except when I get it in my neck & both arms at the same time, then the muscles are quite sore for a few days. I will get them in a foot or a leg, even my stomach sometimes. My hands especially fingers do it a lot. I will double click the mouse when I dont mean to. Its tough because there seems to be no control. Its like a spasticity thing going on. My Dr. gave me an oral steroid to take when it flairs up real bad, and it does help. Although I dont know why its happening, I just know Im having issues with my neck and low back. I have scar tiisue encasing my S1 nerve root that gives me alot of nerve pain, and I wonder if thats whats causing these things to happen, or a herniated c5/c6 . I dont know, and the Dr. hasnt provided me with any answers. I feel for anyone that has them, I can sympathize with you.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

nero HB User

Hi having had c5-6 acdf in 03 and lumbar surgery 04 I can tellyou that you will encounter a lot of strange symptoms. However, it does sound like your brain is dropping off and your body hasn't let go yet. Like "Sunshine" I too now have my left hand pointer finger involuntarily tap and that is exacerbated with too much jerking of my neck (like riding in a jeep in Antigua).

Many involuntary pains and spasms result from spinal cord impingement. My left eye used to feel like a knife was being driven in it or that my long hair had whipped it when the window is open. I told my great surgeon and he just stared at me. Bottom line is the knee bone is connected to the leg bone and whether or not they will ever let a layman having any credit for what they feel and try to help explain it they often say "it's not related".

I think the muscle relaxant suggestion is a good one. You don't have to live stupefied on drugs but you only need to be a hero to yourself and not prove anything to anyone else.

GOOD LUCK...been there...done that...and you have all my compassion, and sympathies....sincerely...Nero

Last edited by nero; 01-22-2007 at 07:11 PM.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:07 PM   #9
(female)

ember919 HB User

SL,
This is probably NOT your problem, as it is rare, but wanted to just throw it out there just in case. Sometimes "uncontrollable body movement" can be caused by a severe reaction to medication. Stress can supposedly exacerbate the reaction.

I mention this only because you say the movements are not painful, and because you are apparently having them all over, rather than only in a few extremities.

I still occasionally have some tremor/twitiching in some of the fingers of my right hand, but it can usually be attributed to some sort of stress/fatigue of the neck.

Hopefully the symptoms were only temporary for you, or are under control. Good luck.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
(female)

puparoo HB User

Umm, yes. I have tons, hands, shoulders, back, neck, fingers, thumbs and cramping in various places. Weird sensations, twitches, etc... muscle relaxers help sometimes. Stress makes it much worse. My NS says it is not related, I don't believe it for one minute. I think this is a somewhat typical symptom that goes along w/ stenosis. You are not alone with the twitching and movements that go along with cervical spine disorders.

Mine will improve sometimes, but then take a terrible nose dive. My hormones seem to affect it... which is weird. Ladies, before and during my period, I feel fine, limited twitches, but after, they are horrible. And yes, I've done every blood test known to man and had ncv/emg. Say no nerve damage or pinched nerve!!!

So, maybe BFS? I think more likely related to the stenosis. Join our twitch club!
Some Cord Compression

Old 01-12-2007, 07:08 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User

puparoo - what's your DX? have you had a surgery yet?

Old 01-13-2007, 07:05 AM   #12
(female)

monarog HB User

Ditto to Puparoo...twitch, buzz, weird movements. All waxes and wanes...I watched my ring finger do a little dance on its own last night. Strange...we all have cervical problems and docs say not related? Very doubtful.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:35 AM   #13
(female)

puparoo HB User

Pearldoves -

Hello! No I have not had surgery yet. My diagnosis are herniations at 3/4, 4/5/ 5/6 and stenosis throughout. I don't know the specific size of the stenosis (i.e, how much space is left in the spinal canal) but it is getting worse. My docs don't think that I'm ready for surgery yet, i.e, because I don't match or show the typical cervical spine/stenosis profile (i.e, my arm, shoulder, back, neck pain is very low). I have more neuro symptoms that come and go. I also have a bulge/herniation at my L5, which makes my legs and 'butt' hurt often.

I was diagnosed in April 2006 after many years of terrible, misdiagnosed migraines, etc. I've had a series of epi shots that helped so-so.... surgery is probably in my future, but not right now. I am scheduled for a repeat MRI and consult with new NS in February.

Thanks!
Some Cord Compression

Closed Thread